View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:45 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
Are Americans patriotic?
- That's just a stereotype.

Are Bush supporters conservative?
- that's also a stereotype.

Are Democrats liberal?
- also a stereotype.

My point is that there are always "exceptions". That doesn't change the fact that very few restaurants will even give these "teenage punks" 2 minutes for an interview. Even if they are excellent magicians, they still have to overcome this stereotype which many of the customers will have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:55 pm 
born to perform.

But skill isn't the only thing needed to be a restaraunt magician.

Age is needed too. Thats why I put up the example of a kid knowing how to manage a restaraunt, but since the kid is a kid they are not going to be hired to manage a restaraunt. Why would that be if they know what they're doing?

Because they aren't old enough. I don't see whats so hard to understand about that.

I would love to do stage magic for theatres. I could probably come up with a pretty good show for a theatre as well if one hired me.

But would they hire me to do their show if they needed a new show?

No, and why?

I'm only 18. Thats not nearly old enough to handle a stage show at a serious theatre.

And 12, 13, or 14 is not old enough to be a restaraunt magician. Maybe 15 if you're good enough, I can see that. But no younger.

And plus, there are very few places where you can even work if you're younger than 15 anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:44 pm 
Penguin

Location: Milky Way, Sol System, Earth, West Hemisphere, United States, Florida, Orlando
First off I want to say Bravo to magicman300300 for his great post. I think that many youthful kids have the skills, and MAYBE even the maturity, but the fact is, people see them as children. Do not get the impression that I am some 30+ year old saying how magic should be left to us experienced people. (How did YOU get your first reaction? As a De'vo with Blaine skillz?)
I am 14 and will be turning 15 this december. I have a reputation with my friends, family, and at my church. Maybe not an amazing one, but a "Wanna see something cool? Ask that kid to show you a trick!" reputation. I have been doing magic since before I was 8. I know enough fundamentals that I have figured out Wild Levitation, Just the way I Like it, and STS without looking em up online. Better yet, I can PERFORM them. benlewis2004 said "yet its still always the kids claiming age isnt an issue." Totally not true. I strongly belive that age is an issue. Just like if you are the best magician in the world and you preform with a monotonous voice and boring expression, you won't get reactions, you also need to be seen as a mature, practiced adult before people will take you or your magic seriously. To all you teens and kids: DON'T GIVE UP! David Blaine stripped magic of it's glamour and class, now we can strip it of it's age limits. MIND YOU I AM NOT SAYING THAT EVERY KID WITH $20 WORTH OF TRICKS SHOULD HAVE A JOB AT THE LOCAL TGI'S. THEY CAN'T LEGALLY! If you want to perform, DO IT! These kids who practice throughout their teens will be the next Angel, the next Blaine, the next Seignfred and Roy. You have to start sometime! Not all kids are bad magicians. Not all adults are good ones. Just don't try to get a job that you know you won't get. It will only discourage you. DON'T GIVE UP! YOU WERE BORN TO PERFORM!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:13 pm 
born to perform.

sure you can strip magic of its age limits, but not the law, or how people think of kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:24 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah farmboy you seem to be closer to the right idea than most younger teenagers or kids, but somewhat off still. Like you said, they need to be PRACTICING. You probably meant to say performing there, but they don't need to be proffessionally performing. Until you're like 16 I think you're too young to get a serious job with magic. I say wait tables, bus tables, or wash dishes somewhere for like a year or two, and use the money to learn magic and practice during that time. Then go find a job with your magic, because at that point you may actually be ready for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:44 pm 
Penguin

Location: Milky Way, Sol System, Earth, West Hemisphere, United States, Florida, Orlando
thecooltonto wrote:
Yeah farmboy you seem to be closer to the right idea than most younger teenagers or kids, but somewhat off still. Like you said, they need to be PRACTICING. You probably meant to say performing there, but they don't need to be proffessionally performing. Until you're like 16 I think you're too young to get a serious job with magic. I say wait tables, bus tables, or wash dishes somewhere for like a year or two, and use the money to learn magic and practice during that time. Then go find a job with your magic, because at that point you may actually be ready for it.

I didn't mean get a real job, just preform for people on the street, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:16 pm 
born to perform.

To get a job:

To get a job at a Restaurant I think you must be 16+ years old. This is because you have some maturity and know how to spell and use grammer and others like How to talk to people and able to problem solve.

~ Forgotten. ~

I hope this helps you all with the "age issue". Its all what your talking about.

Hope this helps~

-MagicTay

Last edited by thegenius3232 on Sat May 19, 2007 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:03 pm 
Emperor Penguin

thegenius3232 wrote:

To get great reactions:

To get great reactions the age doesn't matter, what matters is where you are at. If the environment is right to have "fun" or to act "loose" and not be all tensed then you will get good reactions because your audience Is in a mood to get a couple of laughs and act like themselfs and not having to worry their bills are due or others to worry about. Your age doesn't matter unless you are really young and suck at your tricks and don't know how to perform right and present yourself correctly.
Please don't bring that up again. You've already been proven very wrong on it before, and you admitted it then. There is no reason to even state that again. The simple fact is that age does matter. It doesn't matter how good they are, they still will be seen differently than an adult. This is even more so in Mentalism. So don't even get into this discussion again, as you've shown, in the thread that you've created, that you are wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:49 pm 
Penguin

I happen to be a thirteen year old and while most of us may not be as mature the public may want us to, some are just very ignorant, I try to not and I think I succeed most of the time, I am wondering if a child about my age were to ask to VOLUNTEER at a restaurant would this break the child labor laws? Yes I am aware of them, I have done my studying too but I did not read anything stating the volunteering was not allowed (working without pay) Well I think i may of stated my point, thank you and please remember, don't talk about one group a certain way, such as thirteen year olds, i have seen many adults that act way more immature than us, once again, thank-you.

~Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:42 pm 

If they're inspected and they find out that someone underage is working there and not getting paid I think that might be even worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:31 am 
Penguin

I am 14 years old. I have been doing magic for 4 years now. I HAVE had people discourage me thinking im too young and i dont understand the meaning of practice. it has happened here on these forums, and in other places multiple times, its always "Kids cant do magic like others can" and "Once you get the trick you want it performed now"... I believe i am a good example that they are wrong, im starting kids shows professionally (not just friends and family) by the end of summer. I have been practicing a routine for 2 months now and plan to all summer. Not all children or young teens are unable to understand how to practice. so please those that think this, try and rethink it.

On the restuarant kid magic. I strongly disagree with this because as many people have said, child labor laws. and it may look different than it is to others... So yeah on that subject i dont think its wise to work at a resturaunt under aged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:25 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys, I am 14 yr. old. I work at 2 restaruants and get $10 a hour (plus tips) I have professional buisness cards and sometimes am not taken serioulsy other times I am. I work at Chilis and Starbucks in Plano/ Dallas, Texas. In Texas the labor laws are a child over 13 yrs. old can work in any restaurant ( but no bar) if they are paid less then $20 a hour. The money I get paid now is good money for a 14 yr. old. Of course this money would not be good for a adult. I had practiced 3 years before I started, which I thought is more then enough. I personally think I am extremely mature for my age and love magic and love working where i work. Hopefully this will encouage other kids my age to do the same thing I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:01 pm 
Emperor Penguin

If you have to say you're mature for your age, you're not. You're arrogant for the most part. Every teenager thinks they're mature for their age. That's simply not true though. I know for darn sure I wasn't that mature at 14. And even now, I have a lot of immature times, and I'm 19.

Just the fact that so many people who are 14 or younger think they are ready, and try to argue with the professionals here, some of which have been doing this longer then you've been alive, shows the immaturity level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:21 pm 
Penguin

I was not arguing I was stating a FACT! Also, not everyone is alike so people have different maturity levels that they reach at all different times. I guess you have not quite hit yours yet but I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:00 pm 
Emperor Penguin

acesplaya35 wrote:
I was not arguing I was stating a FACT! Also, not everyone is alike so people have different maturity levels that they reach at all different times. I guess you have not quite hit yours yet but I have.
You just proved my point. Thank you.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next