View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Will Joshua Jay go down in history as one of the greatest magicians ever??
Yes 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
No 81%  81%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject: Joshua Jay
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:24 pm 
Penguin

Will Joshua Jay go down in history as one of the greatest magicians ever?? I, personally, think he is a great magician, but will not be one of the greatest magicians ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:54 pm 
born to perform.

NO.................... He's a good magician and all, but if your one of the greatest magicians of all time most of the time lay people know who you are. If you go out and ask someone who Joshua Jay is they'll say who?

If you ask who David Copperfield is people will ssay he's that magician.

This isn't the case all the time, but sometimes.

Joshua Jay isn't old enough and hasn't done anyhting out of the ordinary that will make him stand out a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

nikiel wrote:
NO.................... He's a good magician and all, but if your one of the greatest magicians of all time most of the time lay people know who you are. If you go out and ask someone who Joshua Jay is they'll say who?

Joshua Jay isn't old enough and hasn't done anyhting out of the ordinary that will make him stand out a lot.

I can guarantee that if you walked outside right now, and asked the first person you saw who Dai Vernon is, they wouldn't know... assuming that person is a lay person, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:48 pm 
born to perform.

adjones wrote:
nikiel wrote:

I can guarantee that if you walked outside right now, and asked the first person you saw who Dai Vernon is, they wouldn't know... assuming that person is a lay person, of course.

I just did and they said he was a magician who created many card sleights. It was a layperson too. j/k

But I said most of the time. But definately Joshua Jay is not going down as on the the greatest magicians ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:23 pm 
born to perform.

i dont even consider him as one of the greatest magicians TODAY
i really hate it when people say about a young magician that hes a "promising young talent"
ive never seen any magician that was a promising young talent grow up and actually live up to the hype

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:29 pm 
born to perform.

daniel116 wrote:
ive never seen any magician that was a promising young talent grow up and actually live up to the hype

That seems like a really odd statement coming from someone your age. How many magicians have you seen grow up? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:32 am 
born to perform.

i havent actually seen someone young growing up... but i read about people who were called a promising young talent and now theyre just average magicians

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:22 am 
born to perform.

I think Josh is great, I love his performance style and patter and I wish him all the best in his ventures in magic. But it's unlikely he'll go down in history as one of the greatest magicians ever as when compared to Vernon or Marlo or other greats he hasn't contributed anywhere near as much as they. But in truth only time will tell, he's young and going really strong and I think he's a great performer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:06 pm 
born to perform.

I think not.

Jay is an excellent magician, but to "Go down in history" you need to truely create something NEW (Dai Vernon) or change the way magic is performed (David Copperfield).

Though he's definitely good, he's not "The best" even today. It's tough to go down in history as the best, when your contemporaries don't think you deserve it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:34 pm 
Penguin

i'm pretty sure he'll be famous(sort of) when he's alive (amoung magicians) but in 100 years i don't think anyone will remember him like houdini