View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:33 pm 

Beat them. Remorselessly. No don't do that. If you're getting caught at all, it's your performance that's doing it. Practice everything, then pick up some Tommy Wonder material. Mis(re)direction is a wonderful tool.

Post subject: hmm
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:00 pm 
Penguin

well, although i practice till i can't get it wrong (kudos to jamesjay), i still get the heklers who think they know how its done and yell out random way off ways.

sigh
there is only one solution...turn the humiliation on them, but politely. stop if they are getting offended.

for instance, i was doing some card tricks for some peope at a bar. I finished with my impromptu signed card to wallet, and the spectator gets to take out the card . Now the wallet had been on the table the whole time.

the heckler (whos card it was) said "I saw you slide that in ages ago" "really" i said. so i took his signed, folded card and got my lighter and burnt it until it was ash, then rubbed the ash on my wallet and then said to him. "Open the wallet then genius", there was his card again folded and in the coin compartment, everyone lauughed at him.

i said "Explain that one then" i did not get bothered again for the rest of the night, and best of all, he was not offended, which is the key thing, you don't want to be offending your specs especially if he is friends with your boss.

If they still bother me, i steal their watch. And give it back later of course.

PS. Although i can't tell you how i do my tricks, the message is there, use your skills, which come after months of practice and alterations, to ensure that you are not the one humiliated in YOUR OWN PERFORMANCE.

And as jamesjay said, proffesionals practice until they can't do it wrong, this is one of the most true thigns i have read on this forum.
Before every performance, piad or not paid, i practice my routine again and again and again.
If i can't do my routine 10 times in a row PERFECTLY, then i will cut out the part that is holding me back and save it for another day.

and remeber, misdirection is by far the most powerful tool when it comes to hecklers who "burn your hands".

good luck

Maverick :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:53 pm 
Penguin

thanks maverick, thats a pretty good idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:50 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah normally if i drop something, i usually just say "gravity sucks" and go on with the performance. Gets laughs every time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:28 pm 
Penguin

This is one area I think I've skyrocketed in, and I never would have imagined doing it... Working with hecklers.

I incorporate a good amount of stand-up comedy in my "David Blaine street magic" entertainment. If I ever have hecklers (and they aren't already being yelled at by the entire audience), I'll take them into my own hands. For instance, I'm doing something that might fit into an ACR... A heckler yells out "you had those three cards on the top the whole time and you're just switching them, so what?" I laugh, then ask them to explain how [I reveal four aces on top] "this" works, because that would make it seven cards on top!

Just have fun with it. A heckler just means another opportunity waiting to amaze a crowd, that's all. And obviously if someone is heckling, they're wanting more performance; So give them more performance!

Steve Helms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:47 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Burleson , Texas , stop buying every new trick and Read some bloody books
practice, and don't do trendy tricks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:04 pm 
born to perform.

What do you say if your not getting caught?

Like, if someone already knew the trick beforehand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:59 pm 
Penguin

BeginnerMagician wrote:
What do you say if your not getting caught?

Like, if someone already knew the trick beforehand?

"Oh man, you caught me on this one... But let's play a memory game now..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:48 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Burleson , Texas , stop buying every new trick and Read some bloody books
if you don't do trendy tricks you will be fine, it will be the first time the laymen see them because there not trendy, by trendy I mean sts, levtations, stuff on david blaine specials, books have lots of good stuff laypeople have never seen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:24 am 
Penguin

Yea if you see anybody that looks mad dont go to them because they will mostly mean..... go to more people with children and people like that.
But this is not always the case

Post subject: backup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:25 pm 
Penguin

When exposed, tell people that you aren't really good at doing mere tricks, which is why they caught you. Normally, you do real stunts with real powers. However, some days-during full moons, high sunspot activity, etc-your powers desert you, and you have to go with doing no stunts, or you have to fake it with a trick/gizmo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:30 am 

or practice your outs, and don't use a lame excuse like that, no offense dude but work one day in the real world and things like that just will not cut it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:42 am 
Emperor Penguin

LOL, noone is going to believe that because the sun is misaligned with Jupiter on a saturday, while it is 105 degrees out is why you flashed a DL or gimmick.

You made me laugh, thank you.

Post subject: Re: WHAT DO YOU DO IF THEY FIND OUT AND EXPOSE YOU?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:42 am 
born to perform.

Mindfreakkid365 wrote:
Although I'm a kid, I have been doing magic for years and I am very good at slight of hand. My local magic shop wants me to get a job there when I'm old enough and I do magic in the mall to people to0. I have one problem though. What do you do i you are caught in the act of dirty work or you mess up. Should you laugh with them and do another trick or jus walk away.

kill them!

nah, but, if they find out how it's done, then say "that wasn't free!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:58 pm 
Penguin

I once just finished a card trick involving a duplicate card and I was now going to do the trick where you have the spectator seperate the cards red from black without them looking at them. I got down to the part where we were looking at the cards seeing he amazingly did it. And some how during the trick the duplicate card that I used for the previous trick that I had placed in my pocket fell out and was mixed in the pile. And somehow it was the 10 of spades and it was right next to the original 10 of spades and the spec. was all like whys there two of the same card? I was like yea about that ummmmmmmmmmmmm..........and then I just ran.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next