View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Other tables watching with you.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:05 am 
Penguin

I don't like it too much when other tables are watchig me perform at a table.
Like when you are palming coins, can't they see everything.
Keeping a break, misdirection, dumping something, stealing something from the table,...
How do you guys handle this?

Thank you very much
Elliot Carver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:06 am 
born to perform.

Listen, When I went to a(n) performance, I saw how a trick was done when he was setting up. So then he started and he talked about a newspaper and I had forgotten about, that I had forgotten how the trick was done and when finished with the trick I had NO CLUE on how the trick was done! It's doesn't matter if they see it because they arent the magician, they dont know whats palming or a pink break is, and once they see it they will still be fooled. Don't be afraid if they see you palming, ect at another table because once they see it and you do other tables away from that table, they will forget about it and then wont ever figure out the trick. You shouldn't even do that Routine to that table anyways because they might of saw the hole trick, so its worthless for that table seeing it again.

Well hope this works for you works for me!

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:41 am 
Penguin

I agree that I shouldn't do the routine again for the other table.
But if there involves palming in another routine of mine, it's the same principal.
Thanks for the advice!
Anyone else has something to say?

Thanks
Elliot Carver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:06 pm 
Emperor Penguin

First of, spectators do know what palming is and what a break is. They aren't stupid.

Instead of a break, you can an injogged card. You can also use the break, but just keep it out of view. Either by covering it with the other hand, or having the cards vertical.

Misdirection is a key. You have to learn to use misdirection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:10 pm 

Fallingblood is right, they're not stupid. They know you're doing something they just don't know what or why. Out of context it means nothing to them.

Most good restaurant magicians will have about three "sets" that they rotate through so no adjacent table sees the same show twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:12 pm 
Penguin

So how do you palm coins?

Elliot Carver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:14 pm 

You also need to choose tricks that can be performed surrounded. I'd simply do something else. If you must, be aware of sight lines and body/wrist positioning to minimize flashing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:22 pm 
born to perform.

ellliotcarver wrote:

Elliot Carver

Elliot, Just stop asking questions and buy the dvds, they will answer every single question you will have, then pratice it, learn it, eat with it, perform with it, and your ready!!! NOW BUY!!! :twisted:

:D -MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:38 pm 
Penguin

In addition to DaveV's great advice I'll also add this...

You need to be entertaining without a trick in your hands.

If you're not an entertaining PERSON, you'll probably never be an entertaining MAGICIAN.

Just a tought.

-Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:20 am 
born to perform.

ellliotcarver wrote:

Elliot Carver

Uh thats a joke right? I'm assuming it is if you're talking about working at restaraunts..

I don't see it as being too much of a problem anyway if one of your routines has a trick involving palming a coin because even if someone at another table is watching they probably won't be paying that much attention because they will be talking about something else. And even if they are, once you get to them, you're going to be doing other things, so it won't matter if they know you palmed a coin in one the tricks you showed the other group of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:51 am 

ellliotcarver wrote:

Elliot Carver

Very well, Elliot,. I do it very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:22 am 
Penguin

Ok.
In the mean time I did some table hopping and walkaround and I did get the experience.
Thanks everybody!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:46 am 
Penguin

ellliotcarver wrote:
Ok.
In the mean time I did some table hopping and walkaround and I did get the experience.
Thanks everybody!

You did table hopping and walkaround. That sounds like a big step for someone who doesn't know how to palm coins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:54 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I think Elliott is using the phrase "How do you palm a coin?" in a different context than you. I've talked to him numerous times, seen videos of his... I know he puts a lot of work into his magic, and wouldn't go out and perform unless he was sure he was ready. And just because you can't palm a coin doesn't mean you shouldn't be doing walk-around. Now if he had said he had done some walk-around/table hopping coin magic, then it would be a lot worse when he asked how to palm coins... assuming he was using it in the context you were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:22 am 
Penguin

adjones wrote:
I think Elliott is using the phrase "How do you palm a coin?" in a different context than you. I've talked to him numerous times, seen videos of his... I know he puts a lot of work into his magic, and wouldn't go out and perform unless he was sure he was ready. And just because you can't palm a coin doesn't mean you shouldn't be doing walk-around. Now if he had said he had done some walk-around/table hopping coin magic, then it would be a lot worse when he asked how to palm coins... assuming he was using it in the context you were.

I would assume that anyone doing table hopping/walkaround should have a very very decent idea of magic and all it entails. I wouldn't expect someone of this calibre to ask "How do you palm a coin" unless they were a crappy "I do walkaround magic...for my family" kind of magician.

But yes, perhaps you were right and I did misinterpret his statement. But yours was definately incorrect