View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Get tips
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:39 pm 
Penguin

I got a question about tiping:

Do they just give you cash, or do you say something like "Tips are welcome"

I mean, they can think you get tons of cash from the manager, and that tiping isn't necessary.

Just some thoughts, replies are very high appreciated : )

Martin X(C)M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:33 pm 

You NEVER say anything about tips!!! You can wear a button with "I WORK FOR TIPS" on it or even "TIPPING IS NOT A CITY IN CHINA." Some funny thing like that. But if you say it that's begging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:04 am 
Penguin

Alright : )

The last restaurant magican i saw (TGI Fridays, London) said: Tips are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:39 pm 
Penguin

I used tip lines, jokes, effects with borrowed money. Every thing. But the thing that got me the most tips is a little magnetic tag on my shirt that says Tips Appreciated. Most of the time what I has was people not understanding that they could tip me. They would often stop and ask the Hostess if they could tip. So if she got busy they just left. So I started wearing the tag and bam my tips sky rocketed.
Of course I still use the tip lines and the borrowed money effects but there almost not even needed.
Most people will make their own joke about the tag and point it out for me.

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:31 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
You NEVER say anything about tips!!! You can wear a button with "I WORK FOR TIPS" on it or even "TIPPING IS NOT A CITY IN CHINA." Some funny thing like that. But if you say it that's begging.

And if you wear buttons that say "Tipping is not a city in China" that's trashy.

Are you getting paid enough by the restaurant? If you want more money that's where you should look first.

Not saying tips are good, bad or indifferent. But how we go about acquiring them matters.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:30 am 
born to perform.

People are not stupid, if you are good they tip you in a restaurant. Wear a badge or ask and you get nothing from me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:07 pm 
born to perform.

RobertBloor wrote:
paddy wrote:

And if you wear buttons that say "Tipping is not a city in China" that's trashy.

Are you getting paid enough by the restaurant? If you want more money that's where you should look first.

Not saying tips are good, bad or indifferent. But how we go about acquiring them matters.

Robert

Umm, what part of getting more money is not good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:40 pm 
Penguin

hazerman15 wrote:
RobertBloor wrote:
paddy wrote:

Robert

Umm, what part of getting more money is not good...

Way to take what I said out of context. What kind of dimwitted thing is that?

I never said getting more money is not good. What I said...once again...for your reading pleasure was..."Not saying tips are good, bad or indifferent. But how we go about acquiring them matters."

Ever think of applying for a job with FoxNews or CNN?

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:58 pm 

Robert and Paddy are right. Tips are optional, and if they offer them that's great. Asking for them, or wearing badges, or even worse setting out a "Tip Jar" is akin to begging. You should have a financial arrangement with the restaurant so you don't have to rely on tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:18 pm 
born to perform.

Ouch haha i just got called dimwitted. Ive never heard anyone actually use that. But yeah sorry or whatever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:19 pm 
Penguin

In addition to what DaveV said -

that financial arrangement should also include something about tips. Either yes you can, no you can't or somewhere in the middle like agreeing to split tips with the staff.

One thing I've found that keeps the staff happy is to let them know that you're not there to take money from them. Remember - that $5 may not be much to you, but that's part of their mortgage, car payment etc. And it's THEIR table - not yours.

So consider this - work for a team environment. If the server will help introduce you to a table, you'll pass on any additional tips to them.

When I've done restaurants in the past, I get paid way way WAY more than the staff. So passing on the $2 or $3 is nothing to me.

But it means a TON to the relationship with the staff.

-Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:15 am 
Penguin

paddy wrote:

Yeah, wear one (a button) that says, "minimum tip- $200" always gets a laugh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:49 pm 

What Robert Bloor says is very important. If the waitstaff don't like you, your life will be miserable and very short. At all the restaurants I work at, the waitstaff always tell me that they love when I am there because their tips are bigger when I am there.

The reason is that I know that when I am entertaining in that restaurant, my whole job is not performing, it is being an ambassador between the staff and the customer. I am there to help quiet noisy kids when the meals are taking too long to get to the tables. I am there make the customer feel that he is the most important person in the world as far as the restaurant is concerned. When I hear a customer kvetch about something, it is my job to tell either a manager or the server about it so they can correct whatever the person thinks is wrong.

Doing this makes customers happier, and happy customers tip more. They will tip me plus they tip the server a little extra. Works out good for all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:11 pm 
born to perform.

Where can I buy a pin/button that says 'Tips are welcome' or something like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:35 pm 
born to perform.

Make one, look in office supply stores, anything really.