View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: "I know how you did that. I saw it on YouTube!"
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:00 am 
Penguin

You pull together just enough money to feed your magic habit. You go online and search and search through hundreds of demo videos. You finally find the perfect trick, an instant download, and you buy it. You stay up all night practicing, spilling cards all over the floor countless times, until you get it just right. You get maybe an hour of sleep, but that's okay -- tomorrow you'll knock 'em dead!

The next day you perform the effect for an audience with confidence -- you've got it mastered. They love it. They gasp. They laugh. They cheer. They beg you to do it again (but you don't, of course).

And then some guy who wasn't even paying attention pipes up: "I know how you did that. I saw it on YouTube!" This guy tells everyone how you did it. He even asks you to empty out your pocket, the one that's holding the gaff that took you two hours to make.

Your hard-earned moment is ruined.

Magicians all over the world are suffering from the same fate. Video sharing websites are exposing all our secrets, the ones that have made our favorite magicians famous. And sure, Penguin loses out on the sale. But that's our problem. The thousands of people who already know how the trick you're performing is done... that's every magician's problem.

Penguin Magic is taking a stand on pirated videos, but we need help. We can't spend all day monitoring sites like YouTube, Metacafe and Google. Hey, we've got to practice our magic, too!

So, if you see one of our explanation videos on the net, drop us a line. You can contact me directly at this email: kevin@penguinmagic.com. Don't do it for us -- do it for all of us.

Sincerely,

Kevin Froehlich
Penguin Magic: born to perform
kevin@penguinmagic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:09 am 
Emperor Penguin

I think you've blown it all out of proportion. But if I see pirated videos from Penguin, I will make sure I contact you with the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:13 am 
born to perform.

Add this to the first post of "Why our art must be protected!!! (long, but please read)" sticky. Would help the ppl who come on here asking what to do about a pirated video they just saw.

Post subject: Re: "I know how you did that. I saw it on YouTube!&quo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:02 pm 

kevinfro wrote:
You finally find the perfect trick, an instant download, and you buy it. You stay up all night practicing. The next day you perform the effect for an audience with confidence -- you've got it mastered.

What’s wrong with this statement!?!

I hope anyone would practice more than one evening before showing off their new trick. Bad performance is worse than exposure any day. YouTube has way more bad performance videos than blatant exposure. Don’t encourage the wet-noses to think they can master anything in an instant.

Examples like this are perfect examples how morons should not be doing magic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tpt0407to

“If this be Magic - Let it be an Art”
The Magic & Illusion of George Anderson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:14 pm 
born to perform.

sent you an email.

Post subject: Re: "I know how you did that. I saw it on YouTube!&quo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:31 pm 
Emperor Penguin

kevinfro wrote:
You pull together just enough money to feed your magic habit. You go online and search and search through hundreds of demo videos. You finally find the perfect trick, an instant download, and you buy it. You stay up all night practicing, spilling cards all over the floor countless times, until you get it just right. You get maybe an hour of sleep, but that's okay -- tomorrow you'll knock 'em dead!

The next day you perform the effect for an audience with confidence -- you've got it mastered.
They love it. They gasp. They laugh. They cheer. They beg you to do it again (but you don't, of course).

And then some guy who wasn't even paying attention pipes up: "I know how you did that. I saw it on YouTube!" This guy tells everyone how you did it. He even asks you to empty out your pocket, the one that's holding the gaff that took you two hours to make.

Magicians all over the world are suffering from the same fate. Video sharing websites are exposing all our secrets, the ones that have made our favorite magicians famous. And sure, Penguin loses out on the sale. But that's our problem. The thousands of people who already know how the trick you're performing is done... that's every magician's problem.

Penguin Magic is taking a stand on pirated videos, but we need help. We can't spend all day monitoring sites like YouTube, Metacafe and Google. Hey, we've got to practice our magic, too!

So, if you see one of our explanation videos on the net, drop us a line. You can contact me directly at this email: kevin@penguinmagic.com. Don't do it for us -- do it for all of us.

Sincerely,

Kevin Froehlich
kevin@penguinmagic.com

There is more than just one problem in this statment, I think.
For one, this is one reason why IDs should be avoided. You will very very rarely find a book exposed on the net, enless a certain company stole an effect from the book and turned it into an ID.

Second, if you only spend one night on an effect and then think you have "mastered" it.... you are way out of line.

IF you are a representative for penguin.... they need to find a better person that knows more about what goes into magic, and what it takes to truely master an effect. Learning the secret and "getting" the moves down over night, is not near mastering an effect.

I have yet to be confronted by any person, child or adult, that found the secrets to any of my tricks online. IF they want to know how I did my effects, they have to be able to get into my brain or own the book or one of the few dvds I have.

I also spend more that one night on any effect. I havent spent over 6 months on a single effect, before performing it. I also make them my own, I never just perform them the way they are taught- method or presentation. Performing it, as is, out of the "box" is just unoriginal.

And this isnt every magicians problem, as you state. As not every magician shops at penguin. ITs mostly teens that buy the IDs here.
I am not suffering, and I know plenty of others that arent suffering one bit.

"video sites are exposing all our secrects," really they are? I have yet to see any of mine on the net...
"The ones that have made our favorite magicians famous," I dont see the stuff houdini, amar, gazzo, keller, etc.... I dont see any of their stuff on the net exposed.

You also say "hard-earned moment is ruined," well if you only put one night into learning the effect, that is not hard or earned.

Now, dont get me wrong. I am against pirating and stealing and exposing.
But I also have plenty of problems with your post.

The real problem is penguin and statments like yours.

Post subject: Re: "I know how you did that. I saw it on YouTube!&
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:51 pm 
born to perform.

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
kevinfro wrote:

The next day you perform the effect for an audience with confidence -- you've got it mastered.
They love it. They gasp. They laugh. They cheer. They beg you to do it again (but you don't, of course).

Sincerely,

Kevin Froehlich
kevin@penguinmagic.com

There is more than just one problem in this statment, I think.
For one, this is one reason why IDs should be avoided. You will very very rarely find a book exposed on the net, enless a certain company stole an effect from the book and turned it into an ID.

Second, if you only spend one night on an effect and then think you have "mastered" it.... you are way out of line.

IF you are a representative for penguin.... they need to find a better person that knows more about what goes into magic, and what it takes to truely master an effect. Learning the secret and "getting" the moves down over night, is not near mastering an effect.

I have yet to be confronted by any person, child or adult, that found the secrets to any of my tricks online. IF they want to know how I did my effects, they have to be able to get into my brain or own the book or one of the few dvds I have.

I also spend more that one night on any effect. I havent spent over 6 months on a single effect, before performing it. I also make them my own, I never just perform them the way they are taught- method or presentation. Performing it, as is, out of the "box" is just unoriginal.

And this isnt every magicians problem, as you state. As not every magician shops at penguin. ITs mostly teens that buy the IDs here.
I am not suffering, and I know plenty of others that arent suffering one bit.

"video sites are exposing all our secrects," really they are? I have yet to see any of mine on the net...
"The ones that have made our favorite magicians famous," I dont see the stuff houdini, amar, gazzo, keller, etc.... I dont see any of their stuff on the net exposed.

You also say "hard-earned moment is ruined," well if you only put one night into learning the effect, that is not hard or earned.

Now, dont get me wrong. I am against pirating and stealing and exposing.
But I also have plenty of problems with your post.

The real problem is penguin and statments like yours.

this is probably the most important post i have ever seen on the forums. BOOKS. books have much better, and much more material than dvds, or downloads. For instance i have just started reading mnemonica, and Apocolypse 1-10, and thnere are so many amazing tricks, thta i have never seen anyone perform, and they arnt exposed, because they are books, and exposers dont expose books, they expose visual explanations. so book, books, and more books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:10 pm 

Kevin's post should have really been an "announcement" rather than an invitation to pick his post apart.

Bottom line:
If you see any Penguin explanations online, report them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:30 pm 
Penguin

This deserves it's own sticky. I just reported 6 links I found when I searched on Metacafe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:46 pm 
Emperor Penguin

DaveV wrote:
Kevin's post should have really been an "announcement" rather than an invitation to pick his post apart.

Bottom line:
If you see any Penguin explanations online, report them

I fully agree 100% with that part, and I have been doing that for a long time. I have probably reported at least 40 with in this year already.
Either to bravesaint, who passes it along, or I report it directly. Which ever is easier at the moment.

Last edited by DavidTheCryptic on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:00 pm 
born to perform.

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
DaveV wrote:

Bottom line:

I fully 100%, and I have been doing that for a long time. I have probably reported at least 40 with in this year already.
Either to bravesaint, who passes it along, or I report it directly. Which ever is easier at the moment.

How did you report it directly? Because I saw a explination online but didn't know how to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

borntopreform wrote:
How did you report it directly? Because I saw a explination online but didn't know how to.
Well now you do. Just read the first post and your question is answered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:03 pm 
born to perform.

borntopreform wrote:
DavidTheCryptic wrote:
DaveV wrote:

Bottom line:

I fully 100%, and I have been doing that for a long time. I have probably reported at least 40 with in this year already.

i bet you watched them thouroughly before you realized you couldnt have reported them. lol JK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:20 pm 
born to perform.

zachmonky wrote:
borntopreform wrote:
DavidTheCryptic wrote:
DaveV wrote:

Bottom line:

i bet you watched them thouroughly before you realized you couldnt have reported them. lol JK

No actually it was for Nemesis, which I already had, lol.
I got mad because anyone could just see it without paying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Ok I think this is worthy of stickying but I am also locking it. Kevin was trying to make a point, which he did. Bottom line, if you see Penguin's material exposed on any site, contact him via the email address he gave.
I am not disagreeing with any of the other posts, I just believe everything that needs to be said, has been said.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]