View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how to you approach the managers?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 am 
Penguin

what's the best way to ask for a job? we only get a chance to talk to the manager, if she/he likes you, then you are in otherwise you are out. It is one way or the other. What exactly do you say to the manager after shaking hands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:04 am 
Emperor Penguin

I always call before time, ask for the general manager, and tell them that I'm contacting them because I'd like to discuss with them a unique from of entertainment to this area, and I was wondering if they'd be interested. Naturally, this will peak their interest, and they ask exactly what I'm talking about. I then explain I'm a magician, and what I want to do for their restaurant is to provide table side magic, which is simply going from table to table, entertaining the guests while they wait for their meals. It gives them just enough information, but not too much. I then schedule a meeting, and I bring along my promotional kit, which I leave with them.

By the time I've met them, they know who I am, they know what I do, and it allows me to get straight into how my services will benefit their establishment. I usually show them a quick trick, strong effect, just so they get a little taste of what I do. I then thank them, and I give a couple of days for them to look over the material I gave them. About a week later, call them back. Most are still interested, some hire me right out, and some of them end up telling me that it won't work for them at that time. For the people who are still interested, they usually just need a little boost, and I schedule a one night trial. Which usually gets me hired.

I know other people do it different ways, but this is the way that works for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:54 am 

Yep, that sounds good. There are books on this very subject so check them out

Post subject: Re: how to you approach the managers?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:48 pm 
born to perform.

jiayi07 wrote:
what's the best way to ask for a job? we only get a chance to talk to the manager, if she/he likes you, then you are in otherwise you are out. It is one way or the other. What exactly do you say to the manager after shaking hands?

Live at the Jailhouse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:06 pm 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
perhaps you should expand on that theory a bit...

You should probabley tell him that this is a PRODUCT! Because it can be said 2 different ways (live or live). I can just imagine him saying:

"Why would you want to be living at a jail house?"

ha, ha, ha, that would have made my day...

-Trix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:22 pm 
born to perform.

There's a great article on the subject in the E forums. Search around for it.

Brucelee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:43 pm 
Penguin

I dont do restaurant magic, but I herd that it is a good idea to do one night for free (with there permishion).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:26 pm 
Emperor Penguin

braady wrote:
I dont do restaurant magic, but I herd that it is a good idea to do one night for free (with there permishion).
It can be a good idea, but only if they are interested. I will offer a trial run if they seem interested. I've been hired on the spot, but many people are a little hesitant. So you do a trial run (I personally do so on a slower night), and you make sure they see what you can do. And you have the customers tell the general manager that they liked having the magician there (that is only if they actually did. If you did a good job, the customers are usually more than happy to give you a little praise to the general manager).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:51 pm 
born to perform.

i let alot of spelling go, but braddy you really come over as a spastic spelling like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:11 pm 
born to perform.

Braady, how old are you?

Calling them ahead of time, is probably the way to go. You should inform them of what you're doing BEFORE your meeting, so they'll have an idea of who's coming-a magician that they might hire. Fallingblood brings up some great dialouge and scenarios on what to do. I'm looking at that also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:30 pm 

braady wrote:

Interesting, Braady, how do you have a group of animals (that's what "HERD" means) that something is a good idea? Also how do you get permishion from a place? That's what "there" means. You might get THEIR PERMISSION. But not what you wrote that's for sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:41 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
braady wrote:

Interesting, Braady, how do you have a group of animals (that's what "HERD" means) that something is a good idea? Also how do you get permishion from a place? That's what "there" means. You might get THEIR PERMISSION. But not what you wrote that's for sure

haha. well said. You must take English lessons, braady. Or someday, no one's going to understand you.

Either you don't know how to spell or you're extremely fast at typing and dont bother to check your comments...