View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:22 pm 
born to perform.

adjones wrote:
SirJonIV wrote:
I've never had that happened, and I hope it doesnt! But if it WERE to happen: i'd just finish the DL and do the move where you take the second card and wrist kill the rest of the deck, so you simply show their card. And if they want to examine the deck, they may do so. And then, you can finish the trick!

The KM Move. I love it.

Where can you learn the KM move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:23 pm 
born to perform.

mmroczka wrote:
I'm not trying to come off as arrogant but I've been doing magic for 9-10 years and I've never gotten caught with a DL...This practicly the easiest sleight out their...(other than the paddle move)...

So yeah...

-Trix

Yet you said you were 14 in another post?
since you were 4?

Sorry but I don't buy that.
Nor do I buy a 5 year old doing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:36 pm 
Emperor Penguin

borntopreform wrote:
adjones wrote:
SirJonIV wrote:
I've never had that happened, and I hope it doesnt! But if it WERE to happen: i'd just finish the DL and do the move where you take the second card and wrist kill the rest of the deck, so you simply show their card. And if they want to examine the deck, they may do so. And then, you can finish the trick!

The KM Move. I love it.

Various places. I learned it off of Front Row Sankey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:15 pm 
born to perform.

adjones wrote:
borntopreform wrote:
adjones wrote:
SirJonIV wrote:

The KM Move. I love it.

Various places. I learned it off of Front Row Sankey.

KM move? It didnt know what it was called... :lol: I knew it was a certain move, but I found it out by myself, as I was playing with a small packet of cards. Great sleight!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:17 pm 
born to perform.

if you say there are 52 cards, they'll just say "no in your hand just now," for hecklers, if you don't feel comforable with a DL, don't do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:21 pm 
Penguin

if they say its two cards just do what I always do say something rediculous that makes them scratch their head like "two cards like a fox!" and then keep going they will be interested by what you said for long enough to get the flow of the effect back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:15 pm 
Penguin

"Two? That was at least twelve, weren't you paying attention?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:24 pm 
Team Penguin

I liked JRandoms idea. I don't use Kadiro Marlo for that... Oh, and you can learn on a whole bunch of Sankey DVDs. Not only Front Row.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Popchris wrote:
I liked JRandoms idea. I don't use Kadiro Marlo for that... Oh, and you can learn on a whole bunch of Sankey DVDs. Not only Front Row.

Yeah, I figured, since he reuses many sleights like that (not a bad thing!). Front Row's just the only one I have, and obviously the one I learned it from.

Post subject: Ignore it
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:26 pm 
Penguin

If someone sees a DL, ignore it.

Other people have said it, but I'll elaborate. If you're performing for anything more than 1 person, it's likely that only one person noticed it. And if one person noticed it, it's likely they are guessing or they are just hecklers. It's very likely the rest of the people are still following the effect and still enjoying it without feeling the need to get in your head.

Also, if possible, repeat a similar effect that doesn't the DL. IE, use a pass in your ambitious card routine (as someone earlier on the forum pointed out).

That being said, if you're having trouble getting the perfect DL, go back to basics. Use breaks - I know a lot of people think they are above them, but it will get you a cleaner sleight 9 out of 10 times no matter how good you are.

Bottom line, never let a heckler ruin your flow. They are like spoiled children. If you make them the center of the attention by explaining, or arguing, then they have succeeded in ruining your show and the experience for the rest of your spectators.

Another note on having any sleight caught... If you're working strolling magic or just performing for friends/acquaintances, end your routine as soon as possible. If you've lost the audience because you've messed up, thank them and move on (if you notice the entertainment has been ruined by your foul up). some may disagree, but you're likely going to get caught in quicksand trying to prove your merit as a performer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:12 pm 
born to perform.

jrandom wrote
Quote:
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:15 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Two? That was at least twelve, weren't you paying attention?"

Great line! work it into an effect. As soon as caught break off as many cards as possible from the top of the deck. Misdirect with the one liner while scooping up the cards. Then fan out 12, 15, however many cards for the finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:34 pm 
Penguin

If you use the diving board double for at least turning the face up double down the snap and movement may make them feel mistaken for assuming there were two cards do to the singuilaity implied by the card snaping and being handled so cleanly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:03 pm 
born to perform.

Brklynmutt wrote:
Quote:
... use the diving board double ...

Agreed. I just learned that move. It's a thing of beauty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:48 am 
Penguin

I've found that the most effective way of voiding any heckler is to agree with them.

Think about it. A heckler is stereotypically attention-starved. It's ego. If you fill their ego with that "psychological oxygen" that it starves for, it is no longer so antognoistic. They WANT to show everyone that they figured it out.

So let's say they caught you in that 1 in a million screwed up DL...then they shout it out. I tend to look up at them and dryly say, "yup, you got it", and move on.

Your first error is to get defensive--your spectators will ALL think that he nailed you.
Your second error is to go on the offensive--That can turn off a lot of good spectators. But if that's your shtick, I suppose it can work...

...but at least for me, the best way to throw a heckler into a tailspin is by taking away the point he was heckling over by openly admitting to it. 9 of 10 of the rest of your crowd will likely think: "That CAN'T be it, he'd never admit to it so easily!" And that's if they even know what the heckler was talking about in the first place.

Transition to your next effect and don't draw further attention to it.

Then go home and get rid of whatever bad habit you have that caused the slip.

That said, I do like that line, "no way, that was 12 cards..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:16 pm 
born to perform.

use a second deal then replace it second from the top.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next