View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: worst experiance at a kids show.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:37 pm 
born to perform.

recently i was performing at a kids show, everything was going great, both the parents and the kids were very entertained. now, there was one parent who in the middle of the show, started handing out cake to the kids(it wasn't the host and i have know idea who they were) but as you all know, kids have the attention span of a goldfish, as soon as you lose it, it is incredibly hard to get back, especially if there is sweets involved

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:05 pm 
Team Penguin

These things happen...it is all part of the birthday party business...you just have to learn how to deal with it...you should have been able to get their attention back...kids have pretty good attention spans if you know how to get and hold it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:00 pm 
Penguin

They probably ment to be nice and let the kids eat while watching... but that was plain rude.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:45 pm 
born to perform.

That's something that you need to cover before the show. I always go over a few things with the parents to let them know how we can get the best results. Since this was another do good Mom the host Mother should have stepped in to let her know, especially if you informed her about this.
I would've ask her to hold off until the show is over. Some people don't realize what a disaster this can create.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:21 am 
Penguin

My disaster was my third and last kids party to date, usually I do adult stuff but as you can probably all relate I buy a lot of stuff that I'm interested in, I noticed that I had enough stuff to put on a kids show. The missus drummed up a couple of parties for me to do, the first two went off without a hitch but the third one..... geeze. My wife took the liberty of donating my services to a charity auction, she dealt with the whole thing and teed up this party, she told me the details, bout 20 kids, 6 or 7 years old. I get there and there are about 6 kids that are like 3 and 4 and one that was 7, he really enjoyed it but all the other kids just didn't get it, it was death by magic for 45 minutes with this one 7 year old having a blast and all the other kids just sitting there.
After that I vowed to stick to adult stuff profesionally and just do kids parties for people I know, if one comes up now I deal with the people directly, should have done that from the start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:35 am 
Emperor Penguin

My "worst" disaster was that all the kids left to go play on the play ground before I arrived. So I got to perform my regular (more mature) show instead, since my main audience were the adults. It was still a blast.
That was also my last kids show; My "retiring" from kids shows.
I like performing for kids, I still do when I visit past schools or out in the general public. But I much prefer working with an audience that always me to be more free in my vocab and effects.

Last edited by DavidTheCryptic on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:41 am 
born to perform.

The one thing I think you can count on at any show---- expect the unexpected.

Things will happen no matter how hard you try so the more rehearsed and comfortable you are with your show the easier it will be to handle those other "situations" that arise.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:25 pm 
born to perform.

I've been very lucky I guess when it comes to disaster stories. But I did have a similiar situation like Max_russell. There were about twelve kids there like they said but the ages were quite a bit younger. I think I had one kid six and another five...the rest about two and three years old. I got the older ones involved in a few then I 'tried' things for the little ones. It wasn't fun for me.
I had a really fun one last weekend. A church cookout with about eight kids and a slew of adults. Everyone gathered around and I think the adults had as much fun as the kids. I got a call from the guy that hired me and he said some really kind stuff. He told me that I made him look like a hero cause everyone raved to him about the show. Those are the kind of things that happen that makes you happy to be doing kid shows.
David (Crypt) I think you should give it a few more tries. Going by your posts I can tell that you know what you are doing, don't let a few set backs scare you away from kid shows.

Post subject: Re: '
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

sluggo wrote:
David (Crypt) I think you should give it a few more tries. Going by your posts I can tell that you know what you are doing, don't let a few set backs scare you away from kid shows.

Thats show in particular isnt why I "retired" from kids shows. I was planning that one as my last from the start.

I mostly stopped because I am moving around so much, and college shows work alot better for that. I can work on the fly, routines "pack" on me, etc...

I might get back into kids shows once I settle down more solid and make a couple of new routines. I have been out of it for a while now, so I am sure I am rusty.
I do still do the odd trick or two for my (much) younger brother and his friends, when I see them. The same goes for when working the restaurants.
Granted, neither are like putting together a whole show for a room full of 'sugar high', excited, kids... and keeping their attention.

If I let a few set backs scare me away, I would have quit escapes and side show stunts a few years ago. Heck, my newest escape has had more set backs than I can think of.

Thanks for the kind words Sluggo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:34 pm 
born to perform.

I'm assuming that this is one of your first kid shows? Correct me if I'm wrong. Those are the ups and downs in life and magic. You have to come across obstacles and errors in order to be "successful" and experienced. These things are going to happen. No matter what. So, don't take it personally, you'll get better, and you're shows WILL, I guarentee, will be a lot smoother. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:43 pm 
Emperor Penguin

SirJonIV wrote:
I'm assuming that this is one of your first kid shows? Correct me if I'm wrong. Those are the ups and downs in life and magic. You have to come across obstacles and errors in order to be "successful" and experienced. These things are going to happen. No matter what. So, don't take it personally, you'll get better, and you're shows WILL, I guarentee, will be a lot smoother. :)

Arent you like 12? Have you even done a real show before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:08 pm 
born to perform.

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
SirJonIV wrote:

? I'm 14, in a few days. I've done a few shows for kids. Some went okay, and one didnt. But thats life... Are you insulting my intelligence?! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:08 pm 
born to perform.

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
SirJonIV wrote:

I have never done a kids show but i would have thought what sirjon said was correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:18 pm 
born to perform.

Thank you, swatch0!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:25 pm 
born to perform.

Your welcome :)