View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HORRAY!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:18 pm 
Penguin

I was at a talegate and some guys remembered me from a previous one. i did the biddle trick and they had me repeat it about 5 times. the two people behind them asked to see some magic. I showed a spelling trick thanked them and walked away. I couldn't help but notice that they were discussing wether or not they should tip me. I didn't know what to do so I just threw my empty soda can away and they called me back giving me a couple bucks. Later that day i showed a couple of my dads friends 2 card monte and they offered me a job on their kids birthday party. what should i have done about the couple who tipped me? and more importantly what should I do for my first kids show? I need to know some tricks, and how to preform to the kids.help me out.

:o

Post subject: Re: HORRAY!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:24 pm 
Emperor Penguin

zectar wrote:
I was at a talegate and some guys remembered me from a previous one. i did the biddle trick and they had me repeat it about 5 times. the two people behind them asked to see some magic. I showed a spelling trick thanked them and walked away. I couldn't help but notice that they were discussing wether or not they should tip me. I didn't know what to do so I just threw my empty soda can away and they called me back giving me a couple bucks. Later that day i showed a couple of my dads friends 2 card monte and they offered me a job on their kids birthday party. what should i have done about the couple who tipped me? and more importantly what should I do for my first kids show? I need to know some tricks, and how to preform to the kids.help me out.

:o

First off, you shouldn't repeat an effect 5 times in a row just because the spectators ask you to... it gives them power over your performances, and that's not good. I would turn down the tips if I were you, you more than likely don't deserve them. And last but not least... turn down the kid show. You are more than likely not prepared, and cards do NOT go over well with kids (most of the time). So turn it down, for the sake of your reputation.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:28 pm 
born to perform.

You are not a kid show performer so the smart thing to do is thank them and tell them that you are not a kid show entertainer and turn down the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:31 pm 
born to perform.

Did you get the tips from the couple?

I say, don't take the birthday show. Don't take it becuase you're obviously not prepared. It seems like you're mostly into cards, which in kid shows, they don't turn out too good.

I might ask the parents if they want a magician for NEXT year, so you'll have a year preparation if you're interested in that job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:44 pm 
Penguin

thank you for your opinions. I 'll turn down the show and also stop redoing tricks.thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:47 pm 
Emperor Penguin

zectar wrote:
thank you for your opinions. I 'll turn down the show and also stop redoing tricks.thanks again.

No, thank you. It's very rare that somebody actually listens to the advice given to them regarding this subject. Good job, you will be doing the right thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:54 pm 
born to perform.

Most people want the money, than rather have a successful show. So, good jorb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:57 pm 
born to perform.

zectar wrote:

Very mature response. You made the right choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:39 pm 
born to perform.

Kudos to you! My daughter turned down lots of jobs before she would accept one. She wanted to make sure she had a quality show first. Always remember, reputation first!

Congrats on making a wise decision!

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:30 am 
born to perform.

zectar wrote:

Zectar,
Fantastic!
We actually have a mature serious future magician here. Zectar if you want to get into Kid shows give us the word and we can help you anyway that we can.
People like this makes me want to start checking in more often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:28 pm 
Team Penguin

that's great...the title really should be HOORAY...cause somebody actually did something right for a change!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:00 am 
Penguin

As others have said, good for you!

If you would like to start getting into Children's shows, I would highly recommend Seriously Silly by David Kaye:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=6996

It's probably one of the best investments you'll ever make in your Kid Show performing career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:15 am 
Penguin

I'll save up for it. Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:28 am 
Penguin

I recomend you read this post if you want some good advice on making a kids show http://penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=130868

And this also has some really good advice http://penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=69798

hope I helped

-Braady

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:56 am 
Penguin

you did! :) you've all been insanely helpful! I'll read up on that in a minute. thanks!