View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Yes, I am really asking this-- any suggestions on tricks?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:50 pm 
born to perform.

We are looking to lengthen my daughter's 15 minute show to 30 minutes. I am going to be going through my magic catalog later to do some in-depth research myself.

What I am looking for is some more unknown humorous tricks/props to inject into her show. I'm not looking for scripted routines, as we will routine it to fit my daughter's type show/personality. I am just looking for something to build that around-- that is a little out of the ordinary.

Paddy and I had a great conversation the other day where he gave me some great suggestions! (Thank you Paddy! Watched the video previews and that is definitely on my shopping list)

Just wondering if my fellow magician friends here have seen any unusual prop that has stuck in their mind-- something like, "oh yeah, I remember that one-- didn't think it was for me, but it was really a cute thing." All the while remember she is a female performer and may be able to get away with things a little differently than a guy.

Basically, consider this post as you would your local assembly/ring chit-chat as you stand around bantering ideas off one another.

Thanks for any suggestions. We aren't in any hurry. Just putting together my Christmas shopping list for our daughter. We are in no time crunch to add on to her routine. When she gets it done, she gets it done.

In the meantime she will continue working using her 15 minute routine. We just had a professional magician friend ask our daughter to increase her show to 30 minutes so that he could start giving her his overflow jobs.

Also, just to share a bit of news with you-- our daughter received a very nice compliment yesterday. She had a show last night and the producer of the show runs a magic camp every year. He asked our daughter if she would consider working at the camp next summer to help teach magic. That really put a huge grin on her face! On her mama's too of course! For our family, with all the hard work, that is a compliment of the highest!

Thanks all-- as always-- enjoy the magic in your life!

~ Kristen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:29 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I've always enjoyed the Talking Drawing Board. Not sure where you can get it, but it's one of things that has "stuck in my mind."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:36 pm 
born to perform.

Axtell makes a great product, not sure if it is sold here on Penguin or not. That is an excellent illusion! One also to really get the kids "animated" themselves.

With the board she could really incorporate that into her act because she could "draw" her fictional character that she uses in her storytelling, thus making him come to life. That would be a cool idea!

Thanks adjones!

Please keep the ideas coming-- they are appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:51 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Vice President of the cannot join unless you are Serbian club!
I agree with adjones. Check out Akirafists review on kids show stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNMHkSJiDcw

Might get something from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:29 pm 
born to perform.

Kristenl,

Today I did a kid's show ages 10 & up. Since this is an age group that I normally don't perform for, I thought I'd try to interject some tricks that I do for more mature audiences.

To my surprise, they LOVED Sucker Silk To Egg Routine. I also performed Nick Lakin's Cereal Killer. This is a comedy "mental" effect that was also well received by the kids.

So hopefully those are a couple of suggestions that you and your daughter will find useful.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.....

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:56 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks Brisco for those ideas as well. I will check them out as I am not familiar with them. I appreciate everyone getting into the subject! I love talking magic!

I'm afraid I didn't get to my "homework" and research the magic catalog today. Someone told us that Gerald Joseph was 'appearing' in our area so we jumped in the car and headed out for a family day. He had a great show. We were the first to arrive at the theatre and had the chance to speak with him beforehand. Great guy, really nice. It was nice to have a quiet moment to talk magic with him. Once the show started he made it even more memorable by asking our daughter to be his assistant for sawing the lady in half. He has the same version as Lance Burton. Great illusion! Love the modification to an old classic. For those of you that have our daughter's website, I'll be adding the photo later on this evening if I can stay awake that long. You may enjoy seeing the pic-- and our daughter taking the opposite role from normal!

In the meantime, if you have the opportunity to see Gerald I am sure you will enjoy his show. Its worth the evening out.

Again, thanks to everyone that contributed to the thread!

~ Kristen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:31 am 

Kristen, It was great talking to you. I will gladly shout out that you helped me improve my act. I checked out the site you mentioned and wound up buying the Russian rings plus a set of "snap silks" and the DVD teaching the snap silks. With that I just replaced a couple of my bits withe these plus added the silk fountain that I took out last year. Even my wife (who is my harshest critic) said they improved my act by 100 %.

To get back on subject, Brisco reminded me of another effect from Max Maven. He has 6 small brown bags (lunch bags) with prizes in them and a die. He brings up 5 people to roll the die and get the prizes and he will take whatever is in the last bag.

Well the prizes are like a handfull of twigs off a tree. He says "What a GREAT prize! With a few more of these you can start to build your new home!" Or an old Coke can to which he respodes "fantastic prize, a few more and you can get a lot of money at the recycling center. Prizes like that and he treats each one as the greatest thing in the world.

He gets the final prize that no one else got and that bag has a hundred dollar bill in it. Great mentalism effect great for laughs and takes up a good 10 minutes with good audience participation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:09 am 
born to perform.

I'm really glad you liked the rings Paddy! My daughter gets the greatest reaction from them, and they are just really pretty. She is always complimented on them. She does them to music and uses some circus-like music. First--- the music is just kind of slow and graceful as you show them normally. Then--- the music changes to some upbeat circus music as the change takes place.

Thanks for the tip on the mentalism trick. It is one I have never heard of or read about in one of my books. Is the die gimmicked? I was thinking at first Magician's Choice, but if they are using a die to determine the choice, not so sure. Of course, I didn't get to bed until about 3:00 last night so in a few hours I may hit myself in the head and say, "oh, wait a minute" LOL

One trick that I have, which we rarely use but would be good for strolling walk-around with kids is the Viewfinder. Its the same toy that has been around since we were kids and is still in use today. I modified the trick from how it was purchased. There was a couple of things that I personally thought would make it better for my use. But its cool because both kids and adults will all relate to it and its a good way to introduce mentalism into a children's show. If anyone looks it up and thinks its good for their show--- just pm me and I will tell you how I modified it.

Great suggestions everyone! Feel free to keep adding!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:08 pm 
born to perform.

We did some brainstorming on the Axtell drawing board and came up with a cute idea to make it really interactive.

Since my daughter does NOT know any ventriloquism, although it would be nice if she could learn, we thought about using a separate mic at the back of the room and either my husband or I could play her character she will draw. Imagine "Turtle Talk" at Disney's California Adventure. The best part is you could really involve the kids, it would be obvious our daughter is not playing the part, and we could be really spontaneous about it.

Just brainstorming....something we do a LOT around our house!

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:43 pm 
born to perform.

KristenL,
She doesn't really need to know vent to do the drawing board or even a Vent puppet. Ken Scott does a great skit with an Axtell's Alligator figure and he is not a Vent. He actually moves his mouth..."Oh my Gosh!"
It goes over just great with the Kids and after about ten seconds the kids are more interested in the puppet's movement's and antics.
I use the Drawing board and it gets an incredible reaction, I absolutely love it.
I'll Pm you on another item that I use non magic that gets the best reaction from kids and adults a like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:50 pm 
born to perform.

she doesnt have to say a word here

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=7010

can show her facial expressions and pantomime

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:53 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Guardian452 wrote:
she doesnt have to say a word here

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=7010

can show her facial expressions and pantomime

For kids shows, though? Some kids may not be able to read, and therefore won't understand. Plus they might get bored without sound or talking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:44 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I'll look forward to your PM Sluggo. I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have!