View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:44 am 
Emperor Penguin

doomkitty41 wrote:
fallingblood wrote:
Search, search, he's our man. If search can't find it, no one can.

Do you like going around telling people what you think? WHy dont you just be quiet instead of telling people to go search. nobody asked you and you can leave your comments to yourself.

Its like who frigging cares thanks for telling us, i didnt know you were the website monitor that likes to go around forum 24/7 searching for ppl who didnt search. i mean cmon

I believe he and Davidthecryptic hold that title jointly. But Dave is a lot farther ahead right now. He is searching at this very moment for those who did not search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:51 am 
Emperor Penguin

sirbrad wrote:
doomkitty41 wrote:
fallingblood wrote:
Search, search, he's our man. If search can't find it, no one can.

Do you like going around telling people what you think? WHy dont you just be quiet instead of telling people to go search. nobody asked you and you can leave your comments to yourself.

Its like who frigging cares thanks for telling us, i didnt know you were the website monitor that likes to go around forum 24/7 searching for ppl who didnt search. i mean cmon

I believe he and Davidthecryptic hold that title jointly. But Dave is a lot farther ahead right now. He is searching at this very moment for those who did not search.

Actually I have been trying to cut back. I have kinda given up on that. Theres no point, people will continue to post the same topics over and over and over and over. Why do we even have the search function.
Or even google at their disposale.

The fact of the matter is, searching for the past topics is an answer.
IF they would look for it them selves, it saves them and others a heap of trouble. It shows they were more willing to find the info, rather than just hand it too them.

edited I even gave "real" answers in this very topic. :roll:
------
But of course, your reply was much more helpful to them.
Its even better than telling them to search.

sirbrad wrote:
smurray0817 wrote:
i dont want them thinking im just a stuped little kid who bought a magic trick a the local super market

Sorry you just proved that fact right there. Stay off the streets.

Post subject: Re: how do i go up to people
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:08 am 
Penguin

smurray0817 wrote:
how do i go up to people with out them thinking im crazy, im 13, so i dont want them thinking im just a stuped little kid who bought a magic trick a the local super market

I'll give you a real world approach example I did today doing the invisible deck trick.

Two people were sitting down at a table. I went up to them and said "I'd like you to take this invisible deck and shuffle it." No introduction... they had no clue who I was and probably assumed I had recently escaped a mental institution. When they gave me strange looks I said "No, trust me, this is the best card trick in the world." It took a few repeats of "This is awesome, take my word for it." to convince them to do it... but once you're in and you get a reaction other people see that and now you can easily get a crowd.

It's the first set that's difficult - but once you get someone to consent to see some illusions, the rest is easy.

Post subject: Re: how do i go up to people
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:39 am 

louisreingold wrote:
smurray0817 wrote:
how do i go up to people with out them thinking im crazy, im 13, so i dont want them thinking im just a stuped little kid who bought a magic trick a the local super market

I'll give you a real world approach example I did today doing the invisible deck trick.

Two people were sitting down at a table. I went up to them and said "I'd like you to take this invisible deck and shuffle it." No introduction... they had no clue who I was and probably assumed I had recently escaped a mental institution. When they gave me strange looks I said "No, trust me, this is the best card trick in the world." It took a few repeats of "This is awesome, take my word for it." to convince them to do it... but once you're in and you get a reaction other people see that and now you can easily get a crowd.

It's the first set that's difficult - but once you get someone to consent to see some illusions, the rest is easy.

Yep you also get used to being sprayed with mace because people think you're a little kid that's a wierdo or a perv. You NEVER approach people to perform. You get them to come to you. It's called building a tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:43 pm 
Penguin

Haha, I live in a small upscale community. No one carries around mace and half the people don't lock their doors.

I wouldn't dream of doing this in East LA.

Post subject: To approach or not to approach?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:55 pm 
Penguin

All of what i do is preformed on the street, at bars etc. Rarely am i at a bar by myself unless im experimenting and 9 times outta 10 friends want me to do some type of effect. If you start out with something quite obvious to the people around you and you do it well people will ask to see more. If not, sneak off to a table by yourself with your latest magic book that you picked up and start reading. Ironically i get more people approaching me while i read than when im preforming. They have a hard time understanding how i can read in the chaos of the bar seen and furthermore go on to ask "whats up with the deck of cards". Reading in a bar also helps you to overcome distraction. Alot times people will straight up ask if im a magician. And then its on. Its spreads like fire. If you nail one good trick more than likely the rest of the night people will get more friends and they will get their friends and so on. Never walk up to someone and ask if theyd like to see some magic. Thats like saying what effect your doing before thee effect is done. If i approach people i ask them if they would like to help me out with an experiment or say that ive come across something strange and ask if they could help explain it. Dont be afraid to be weird or out of place, your a magician so get used to it. Its one thing to do a trick, alot of people can. But it another to play the part and to make people believe you some kind of strange power. If you do it correctly you'll know it.....trust me : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:25 pm 
born to perform.

First I just take out my deck and play. I flourish a little. Then when people say " Wow" or " That's cool " I say Well, let me show you something. pick a card or say whatever to start your trick............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:48 pm 
Penguin

nikiel wrote:
First I just take out my deck and play. I flourish a little. Then when people say " Wow" or " That's cool " I say Well, let me show you something. pick a card or say whatever to start your trick............

You'd be amazed how many people ask how to do a coin roll, aha. That's how I get people, flourishes FTW. I really want to get Showoff with Coins.

Garrett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:15 pm 
Penguin

Hey, I've not been on here in ages but I thought I should chip in here.

I've been street performing for the last three years or so regularly and there are a few things I've found help out in attracting attention.

1 - Cameras. For a stage show that I was performing we recorded some stuff in the middle of Manchester, UK and the response that we got when we walked up with a camera was amazing. People were jumping at the chance of being filmed for a show.

2 - Playing with cards. When I'm bored at the train station, or if a party is starting to drag, I start to play with cards. Nothing spectacular just a few flourishes etc. One thing that I found was that people walked up to me and asked "why" or "how do you do that" you can usually get into a decent routine through that.

3 - asking people. Sometimes you've got to look out for the right group of people. This may be at your school, college, work etc but you need to make sure you pick the right group. Pick people who you think you would be comfortable performing to. The worse thing is choosing someone who really makes it hard for you.

But finally my only word of warning. Please please please be careful out there. When you're 13 its so tempting to take on the world but you need to remember its a dangerous place out there. Be careful who you talk to. Try performing in your school or to family and guests, but don't do anything stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:46 pm 
born to perform.

If you want tips on building a crowd for busking, I've recently read Gazzo's Art of Krowd Keeping and it is amazing. If you're looking for Blaining, you just go up and ask. That's really it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:40 pm 
born to perform.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... ht=#874009

i wrote it a while back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:36 am 
Penguin

say "do you guys wanna see a magic trick"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:50 am 
Emperor Penguin

doomkitty41 wrote:
say "do you guys wanna see a magic trick"

No thank you, I just quit.

Now had you come up to me and said something to catch my attention, then proceeded to blow me away, I might have said yes.

This day and age, if I see someone walk up to me and try to show me something, I think they are intercity kids trying to sell me some candy and/or trinkets so they can earn a trip to Magic Mountain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:27 pm 
born to perform.

Say "wanna see some magic" like david blaine and stare at the camera!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:14 pm 
born to perform.

EmeraldOne wrote:
Do not go up to people. Many will think it rude, which will give you, and all street magicians, a bad rep. Take a friend to a mall, or park, or such. Start performing tricks for your friend, in full view of passersby. If your magic is good, passersby will stop to watch. They will also comment. Then, since they spoke to you, you will be free to reply. Then, lead into tricks involving those who have spoken to you.

That's what I do. My friends know I like to do magic, so I pull out a deck of cards and say " here let me show you something"

After a while a small group gathers to see whats happening and eventually you have a group of strangers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next