View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My first REAL stage show
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:10 pm 
Penguin

Hello all. I'm a mentalist...jermay esque. Okay, now that that's off of my shoulders, I'll get right too it.
I'm in the student council, and we do quite a bit of fund raising, so I decided to see If I could do a show for my school, you know like on a friday night, $5-10 admission, and such. I' haven't gotten an answer yet, But I KNOW they'll say yes, I'm friends with everyone in my school.
Back on topic.
I've got a good bit of my show down. I want it to be about an hour to and hour and a half. here's my line up so far. (I copied and pasted it from microsoft word, excuse the bad grammar, It wasn't emant to be put up here)

1st- A dangerous Opener (russian Roulet, red/blue cup, knife under red)
2nd-Manipulation of Perception (two people see two different things on a piece of paper.)
3rd- Ghost Coins (thrown 4 paper balls to audience, have prediction of ammount of money, ect.)
4th- Phone prediction (three people, pick a card, write down a 2-3 diget number on a piece of paper, paper is handed to person, who calls #)
4th-Butterfly Billet (person writes their name down on a piece of paper, and the name leave the paper, and becomes a Butterfly)
5th-Stuck In a moment (time seems to slow down for someoneā€¦and it eventutally stops)
6th-Blind sentence (performer claims to be able to read with their fingers)
7th- Phone-book prediction (chose phone # ends up on a pre-recorded message)
8th-Southwest Maricle (someone picks a card and it vannishes from the deck, and ends up wherer they thought it would. eg, under thier chair)
9th-Chair color prediction (5 people hold 5 envlopes, and sit in a chair of thier choice, color of paper in envlope is color on bottom of chair)
10th-The 7th deception (remove phobia)

Final-Touching on hoy.

Now, those are all great tricks...but they're from three people. Luke jermay, where most of them have come from, Kenton Knepper, and Myself (chair prediction, and phonebook prediction, both of which come from other performers, I jsut came up with my own method).

I'd like to expand my line up of tricks, or swap it around. And based on what you see here, I'm sure that you can sense my style of performing.
Any Suggestions would be GREATLY appriciated!, thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:34 pm 
born to perform.

With those ten tricks, you be able to get an hour/ hour and a half show. think about it, ten tricks if you did each one in only a minute, that is one hundred minutes/(one hour and 40 minutes) and i have no doubt that they most (if not all) will take over a minute, esspicially since most of them require volunteers.
so i would say you might want to shorten it a bit, but thats just MHO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:14 pm 
Penguin

alright thanks! but any suggestions, Becuase IMO it may seem a little too much to keep laying the Jermay stuff on them. and that is also my exact lineup, so if anyone has any ideas how how that should go, then please by ALL means, help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:23 pm 
born to perform.

IMHO, the audience will have no clue that all the tricks came from the same 2 magicians, and it shouldn't matter, but as far as good mentalist tricks, i don't know, seeing as how i am not a mentalist performer, good luck on your show...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:45 pm 
Penguin

okay. the only reason that I have a concern for that, is that they have somewhat of the same tone...or at least that's what I'm getting, anyone feel free to correct me If I'm wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:06 pm 
born to perform.

Do you think you can pull it off ?
Are you in high school or colledge, Because If you are doing jermay esques tricks, well jermay rely much on suggestion and if you are not a good actor and cant pull it off with high scholl grade students, its going to be hard.

Post subject: Re: My first REAL stage show
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:26 pm 
born to perform.

CodyRN wrote:
4th-Butterfly Billet (person writes their name down on a piece of paper, and the name leave the paper, and becomes a Butterfly)

Just out of curiousity...is this the same as the one Criss Angel performed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:32 pm 
Penguin

basicacally. But I present mine with a style and finess, something that he doesn't have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:06 pm 
Penguin

please don't doubt me. There's a reason I havemn't told you how old I am. I'm in the 8th grade, and I'm 13 years old. Please don't think of me as a "street magician". I am a serirous student of magic in every way possible, and I know what I'm doing...I'm a master of suggestionon kids from the 6th through the 12 grade.let me assure you of that. Please don't give me that "you're too young line, I've heard it before"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:31 am 
Penguin

Bluebackedcards wrote:
With those ten tricks, you be able to get an hour/ hour and a half show. think about it, ten tricks if you did each one in only a minute, that is one hundred minutes/(one hour and 40 minutes) and i have no doubt that they most (if not all) will take over a minute, esspicially since most of them require volunteers.

10 tricks...1 minute each...thats only 10 minutes... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:49 am 
born to perform.

Randy_314 wrote:
Bluebackedcards wrote:

10 tricks...1 minute each...thats only 10 minutes... :?

I think he meant 10 minutes per trick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:51 am 
born to perform.

No, he said a minute. I was thinking the same thing.

Really, if you have books like 13 Steps or Practical Mental Magic, or video sets like PSI and Mind Mysteries, as you should if you are a serious student of mentalism, then you should be more than able to find some amazing routines to use for stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:15 pm 
Penguin

miniserb725 wrote:
No, he said a minute. I was thinking the same thing.

Really, if you have books like 13 Steps or Practical Mental Magic, or video sets like PSI and Mind Mysteries, as you should if you are a serious student of mentalism, then you should be more than able to find some amazing routines to use for stage.
I think that for the first part, that you are wrong. there's no way that the patter for those tricks would even fit in 10 miniutes.

Secondly, I whole-heartdly agree. One problem, I've got PSI series volumes 3 and four, but that it (from what you've mentioned). I've really not got much in the way of amature mentalisim. When I was still VERY new to magic, I bought all of Jermay's material, and thought that it would make me good. Well, I learned that the basicas are there for a reason. But eventutally, I studied, and mastered the material in the books. On the other hand, I DO have other books, Namley, Pure effect, Absolute magic (only just started), a good ammount of Kneppers books (I'm slowly making my way through them). Right now I ened tos crape togehter enough cash to pay for those books, and I won't buy them from E...bad BAD experiences with them *shudders*

But, based on what you had siad about serirous students, I'm going to ask you this. First Off, I assume that you ARE a serirous student, so what does your routeen consist of? OR are we at complete opposite ends of the spectrum on our style of performance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:42 pm 
born to perform.

I wasn't agreeing with the one minute idea, I was agreeing that one minute per trick wouldn't add up to an hour and 40 minutes, it would be 10 minutes.

I don't have a Mentalism routine, although I do dabble in a little Mental Magic. I have read 13 Steps, Practical Mental Magic, Building Blocks, and Pure Effect. Really that is as far as my Mentalism knowledge goes.

My advice:

The one thing I've always liked about mentalism is how personal you can make it. You can bring the spectator's own thoughts, fears, desires, and dreams into the performance. You can tell a story about some terrible time in your life, or a great experience you had.

As Derren Brown said, you need to remain detached from precedent when performing, as it is a personal thing. (Paraphrase, can't remember the exact quote) So you should think about your character, where he comes from, and tie those experiences into your performance, to tell a story rather than present disjointed effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:02 pm 
born to perform.

PK touches is a nice effect if you can pull it off but I think you can