View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:13 pm 
born to perform.

Imagine an escape artist's buisness card being this or something

Cool idea huh!

I want one!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:33 am 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
Somehow I don't think that would go over well with the authorities :roll:

:lol:

-Trix

PS It still would be cool to have and give out at magic conventions....everybody would be jealous :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:56 pm 
Penguin

i have a neighbor who used to be a locksmith and still has his picks so i just borrow his when i want. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:11 am 
Penguin

I've done some reading and some inquiries into lock-picking equip in canada: It's not illegal to buy them ( i was just in a store the other day and purchased a set) It is illegal tho to possess them wihtout proper certification.

That is either:
-lock-picking cert.
-Or a IBM (International Brotherhood of Magicians) or SAM (Society of Americian Magicians) Cards.

Unless your dealing with a really stickler cop, than you'd prolly find them to be understanding when you present em with such information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:31 am 
born to perform.

I want some of those tools. Where do i get them from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:29 am 
Emperor Penguin

magicraf wrote:
I want some of those tools. Where do i get them from?
Well first, you have to be 18 years or older. Second, you need to be affiliated with a magic fraternity, be in law enforcement, or have a locksmith certificate. They just aren't tools you pick up. And carrying them around can also get you into trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:30 am 
Emperor Penguin

jkh670 wrote:
I've done some reading and some inquiries into lock-picking equip in canada: It's not illegal to buy them ( i was just in a store the other day and purchased a set) It is illegal tho to possess them wihtout proper certification.

Read the criminal code. Section 353 in particular of Canada's criminal code.

It is illegal to posess, OR purchase them unless you are a "LISCENSED BY YOUR PROVINCE'S ATTORNEY GENERAL" locksmith.

And it isn't easy. Locksmithing is a trade. You need to go to school (it's a 4 year program) to get your liscensing if you can get sponsorship from your school or employer.

Having a IBM or SAM affiliation does not allow you to posess them.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:33 am 
Emperor Penguin

jkh670 wrote:
Unless your dealing with a really stickler cop, than you'd prolly find them to be understanding when you present em with such information.

I doubt it. It's a criminal offense. You'll end up with probation and a criminal record at the very least (in Canada).

Otherwise, if you have prior convictions for anything, you risk ending up in jail for up to two years.

And no judge is going to look the other way because you are a magician. The law is the law. You want to posess such tools legally, without risk of imprisonment, you're going to need to become a locksmith.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:46 pm 
born to perform.

Well in reply to the original post, I agree with DavidTheCryptic.
The laws vary from state to state.
For example, I have a set of picks, but I had to do some reading before I got them.
I live in Washington state, and here, it is legal to possess picks, and even use them in public areas WITHOUT certification. But if the authorities have proof of intent of burglary or any other illicit means, that is when it becomes illegal.
But that is just in Washington state. I know that in Washington D.C., things are VERY VERY VERY different, as they are with California.

Once again, it all depends on where you live. Like others have said, you should ask the authorities or read up on the current laws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:43 am 
Penguin

wayno wrote:
It is illegal to posess, OR purchase them unless you are a "LISCENSED BY YOUR PROVINCE'S ATTORNEY GENERAL" locksmith.

Well, I know a guy who runs a shop in my city that could get into ALOT of trouble, seeing he sold them to me, and I know of a couple people who are OBVIOUSLY under age *I however look several years older than my strapping 22 YO self.

THis guy tends to talk out his @$$ alot, so I actually feel kinda stupid for buying that tid bit over some of his other things.....

As a general rule, I tend not to carry Such questionable props with me (the lockpicks, razor blades for RBM)....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:48 am 
Emperor Penguin

It's illegal. But so long as you are not doing anything that is going to land you with a run-in with the law, the law is never going to know you have them.

When you look at it, it's only criminals doing criminal things that get caught with concealed weapons, drugs, stolen goods, break-and-enter equipment, etc.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:36 pm 
Penguin

I actually talked to a law student friend, and it turns out that Saskatchewan it is legal to buy and carry lockpicking equipment, slim jims, and so forth.... so yea.....

{Edit}
I don't mean to come across as arogent, I justn noticed that it kinda looks that way.
The apparent reason because of the lockpick legality has something to do with the rural nature of the province.... that more people lock themselves out of the car/house, and due to the steadily colder temps than anyother province *That doesn't include territories, which are obviously colder due to the northern nature.* I dunno.... but I knwo I'm not complainin :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:14 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I hate to be arrogant but your friend is wrong. As a law student he should not be so naive to not know that federal laws trump provincial, regional, and municipal laws. edited, I think that fact is taught in high school even.

A province cannot change Canada's Criminal Code because people lock themselves out of vehicles or houses in cold weather. That is just [edited], and that is just incorrect.

8)

Post subject: lockpick/etc-certification required.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:03 pm 
Penguin

I'm also a trained, certified, licensed, bonded, locksmith...so I know whereof I speak. If you do not have such certification, and licensing, you are "in possession of burglar's tools"; which IS a crime. Even a cop who uses a slim jim to aid motorists locked out of their cars is technically breaking the law if said cop is not also a licensed locksmith. Different jurisdictions-cities, counties, states, etc-enforce the law more, or less, fiercely than others. So, you may get away with carrying lockpicks without a license for 20 years, and never get busted...or you may get caught your first time out and get a year in jail. Different jurisdictions also have different license requirements. Some places you pay a fee-$20.00, or so-and that is all. In other places you need a bond of several thousand dollars, and you need a police background check, to get a license. Contact your local DA, and find out what yor local laws say.