View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which of these items would you recommend?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:31 pm 
Penguin

Heres the story...The usual magician that gets booked for my fathers works christmas party cannot make it these year so i volunteered for the job. I've performed for kids before but i have only done 3-4 tricks in a walk around setting (a spongeball routine,d'lites, and misers dream)). I have a routine in mind but it's in need of a large item with "zing". Which of these items do any of you recommend for a show?
Confusing crayons with a magic coloring book routine
Strat-O-sphere
Peanut butter Jelly illusion
Hippy Hop Rabbits

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:48 pm 
born to perform.

Those four items alone will make a good kids party. Just one with D-lites and sponge balls won't be much of a show. Try to get two or more and you can have a decent show.
If you've only done walk around doing kid shows is a whole other show. So make sure you anty up on Kid shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:48 am 
born to perform.

Quote:
Confusing crayons with a magic coloring book routine
Strat-O-sphere
Peanut butter Jelly illusion
Hippy Hop Rabbits

you need ATLEAST all of those for a kids show... OR atleast for large things SIMILAR to those effects...

I would reccomend www.wolfmagic.com Hippity Hop Rabbits over anyone else however!

Infact any of his stuff is the best for kids shows!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:09 pm 
Penguin

DINOTECH wrote:
Quote:

It's also very expensive. The hip hop rabbits trick is more than $400!

If you are professional this is within your price range, I am not a professional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:51 pm 

CardCupMaster wrote:
DINOTECH wrote:
Quote:

If you are professional this is within your price range, I am not a professional.

You never will be a professional if you don't have the best props. You can not do a show with old beat up second hand looking equipment. We don't just "do magic tricks," anybody can do that, a professional entertains and LOOKS like a professional. With props that are nice looking and clean. An example, There are several rip off tricks that Magic Makers has. Compare them to the real objects that they copied and you can tell the difference. The rip offs look and are cheap and the audience can tell the difference just as well as you can. Don't be afraid to spend money to increase your income.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:02 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
CardCupMaster wrote:
DINOTECH wrote:
Quote:

You never will be a professional if you don't have the best props. You can not do a show with old beat up second hand looking equipment. We don't just "do magic tricks," anybody can do that, a professional entertains and LOOKS like a professional. With props that are nice looking and clean. An example, There are several rip off tricks that Magic Makers has. Compare them to the real objects that they copied and you can tell the difference. The rip offs look and are cheap and the audience can tell the difference just as well as you can. Don't be afraid to spend money to increase your income.

i disagree, you don't need top of the line props, the trick is only a small part of the entertainment, you patter and presenting are what is rememberd. Audiences won't know that hipity hop rabbis set was X amount of money and that one was another...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:33 am 

OK, guess I am out "knowledged."

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:56 am 
born to perform.

True patter and presentation is very important but your equipment & tools of the trade should be the best it can.
IF the kids can't tell the difference you can bet the Parents hiring and paying you can tell cheap stuff.
There's a big difference in the 'India" made crap v.s. the better made products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:52 pm 
born to perform.

Now that we have decided to put off the sound system for our daughter since my hubby was able to rig a viable subsitute, we are thinking of getting our daughter one of Chance's props. We have always wanted one and this may be as good as time as any to purchase our first one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:41 pm 
Team Penguin

They are beautiful props Kristen...I have used the Bubble gum recombobulator before and seen/played with about 4 or 5 other items. They are all made well...and big...which is their only downfall...it takes a whole other case just to haul one of those props in...I LOVE the cartoony look of them though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:17 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for the endorsement Kyle. We have admired them for quite some time and have read nothing but accomlades for them on the Cafe. It just seems like a wise investment. We also considered Axtell's drawing board, but I really have wanted one of Chance's unique props for a long time. There's always time for the other later down the road.

I am also looking at some of Arthur Stead's Music & Magic. Have you used any of them before Kyle?

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:47 pm 
Team Penguin

I have read a lot about Arthur Stead's Cds and have seen them used In Duane Laflin and Ken Scott's performances...

The music goes great in the background for routines where the performer is speaking and they also go great in the background of silent routines.

Music can add a LOT to your show...even if you only use it for part of the show and not throughout the entire act. The Arthur Stead Cds are good, but I believe they are way over priced! But hey...you can't find that type of music just anywhere...and that is why he can afford to get $30 per cd!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:53 pm 
Penguin

I have just recently purchased Arthur stead music as well for my holiday shows. I am only using one track off it. However most of the music wasn’t "right for me".
This wont stop me from purchasing another cd however as the music may be used in the future.

I love chances props as well. I currently use the funhouse in my birthday shows. Part of being a magician is that I’m a unique character and being a unique character means that i should have things that people haven’t seen before. It adds value to the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:05 pm 
born to perform.

My daughter has one of Arthur Stead's songs, given to her by another magician. It is extremely good, which is why I thought the Magic & Music might work well together.

She ALWAYS uses background music, but having something specifically choreographed for a trick intrigues me so I was curious about this magic/music line. My daughter has several of Bill White's royalty free music CDs in her collection.

I am trying to decide between Arthur Stead's the Magic in You and Bunny Love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:51 am 
born to perform.

I think a GREAT trick for children:

http://fairchildmagic.com/pages/product ... icator.htm

I am on the waiting list for mine to be ready in Febuary.

Last edited by DINOTECH on Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.