View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Effortless Miracles: Taking Credit For Everyday Life
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:39 pm 
born to perform.

Effortless Miracles: Taking Credit For Everyday Life
by Michael Kras

You're with a friend, walking away from school at the end of a day of long periods, work assignments, and lessons. You suddenly reach over to your friend's pocket, and visually pluck their personal belongings from the SIDE of that pocket. How did you do it? You'd be surprisded at how easy the method really is.

The method is pretty much non-existance. Lots of things in life happen all of the time, such as speaking, breathing, eating.... and forgetting things.

The next time you see your friend leave an object behind accidentally, secretly obtain it before catching up to your moving friend. Here's the important part: WAIT. That's right, do NOT produce the object right away as the assumption that the object was left behind will be spoken. And that assumption will be correct.

As Max Malini once said, "You vait... you vait a veek." The same applies to the Effortless Mircale concept. Perhaps not as long as a week, but at the very least, a few hours. Just keep the object concealed until you need it later on.

And what do you do with it? Virtually anything... the sky's the limit. You can produce the object from thin-air, you can cause it to penetrate the pocket it previously inhabited, and you can even pull off a convincing pickpocketing stunt.

Also, before attempting this concept, you must have first established some sort of credibility with your target. Meaning, they know you are a magician and are capable of pulling off such things. Also, an important thing to remember is to believe you have done what you claimed to do.

This means that, if for instance you make the object of the target's possessiion appear out of thin air. You must BELIEVE yourself that you have teleported that object to your hands from his person. If you believe it inside, it will show to the spectators that what you did was a genuine claim. DO NOT play it up as a joke, as you will ultimately ruin the entire stunt. Just take care, and have fun pulling off amazing magic with the stuff in your friend's pockets. Enjoy.

Michael Kras

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:32 am 
Penguin

You had some nice ideas in there but this just doesn't seem practical or workable in the real world. There is a very low chance the spectator would leave something that was in their pocket behind for you to take. It is also important to remember that the main things people carry in their pockets are cell phones and wallets. Things like these have value and in some cases personal attachment to the spectator.

I can picture more of an annoyed reaction as opposed to a mystified one. It would be like stealing someone's wallet that they left on a table and keeping it with you for several hours (as you recommended) before returning it to them. I guess my main feeling with this is that you should be careful because the spectator may not perceive it as magic...

Now other people may think differently but these are just my thoughts. You do have some nice ideas though so keep it up! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:55 am 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
I think this was geared to the school-magician type. And you would do this only on friends that you hang out with a lot...Could be wrong, but hey...

-Trix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:08 pm 
born to perform.

dantheman2192 wrote:
You had some nice ideas in there but this just doesn't seem practical or workable in the real world. There is a very low chance the spectator would leave something that was in their pocket behind for you to take. It is also important to remember that the main things people carry in their pockets are cell phones and wallets. Things like these have value and in some cases personal attachment to the spectator.

I can picture more of an annoyed reaction as opposed to a mystified one. It would be like stealing someone's wallet that they left on a table and keeping it with you for several hours (as you recommended) before returning it to them. I guess my main feeling with this is that you should be careful because the spectator may not perceive it as magic...

Now other people may think differently but these are just my thoughts. You do have some nice ideas though so keep it up! :D

You're missing the point. This essay isn't all about the method of this little piece of magic. It's more about the feeling behind your magic and the effort put into your magic. I feel that the idea of the left behind object is more of a side note to those of establishing yourself with beleivable magic prior to doing something that may take a little more faith to beleive as real magic. And that of beleiving the magic yourself so that you will inspire belief in the spectator.
Also it would be a good lesson to not just look at things as they are on the surface, as you did with this essay while just consentrating on the trick part of the effect when there was so much more in the text. Remember this, A lot of amateur magicians don't realize the effect that they have on an audience. If you perform this particular illusion well then they would have no reason to think that you stole their wallet and kept it with you for several hours.
Just some stuff to think about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:14 pm 
Penguin

Good point. You proved my earlier thoughts wrong.

Keep up the good work Michael. :D