View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What is the Best Street Gimmick
Poll ended at Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:49 pm
Raven 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Invisable thread 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
TT 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
Scotch and Soda 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:59 pm 
Penguin

dbaker_creator wrote:
adjones wrote:
paddy wrote:
Yes I knew he was joking, however, Buddy, the one who sked the question, may not have known that. It is one thing to joke but another to lead someone with false information.

I think you give people a little less credit than they deserve. Do you think that someone would honestly come on here and believe that, on a magic forum, an abbreviation that was used in MAGIC discussions was going to stand for "a cat"? I'm not trying to start any arguments, but I think a lot of people are a little smarter than you give them credit for being.

He has 13posts, so he's new to the forum.

He asked what it was, so he obviously doesn't know.

It was written amoung a list of other magic items, so the fact that it's a magic site probably didn't do much for him either.

Lot's of guys on this site reference things that are irrellevant to magic, so it wasn't outside the realm of possibility.

My experience has been that paddy's level of bluntness is right about perfect for the folks on this site.

Would you have believed a TT was a metaphor for cat? I highly doubt it.

Garrett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:46 pm 
born to perform.

Maybe not, but why would you post something completely useless like that in the first place?

And I agree with pretty much everyone here, the ThumbTip and any resources you can find with effects for it will be a great tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:17 pm 
born to perform.

mombourquette wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:
adjones wrote:
paddy wrote:
Yes I knew he was joking, however, Buddy, the one who sked the question, may not have known that. It is one thing to joke but another to lead someone with false information.

I think you give people a little less credit than they deserve. Do you think that someone would honestly come on here and believe that, on a magic forum, an abbreviation that was used in MAGIC discussions was going to stand for "a cat"? I'm not trying to start any arguments, but I think a lot of people are a little smarter than you give them credit for being.

He has 13posts, so he's new to the forum.

He asked what it was, so he obviously doesn't know.

It was written amoung a list of other magic items, so the fact that it's a magic site probably didn't do much for him either.

Lot's of guys on this site reference things that are irrellevant to magic, so it wasn't outside the realm of possibility.

My experience has been that paddy's level of bluntness is right about perfect for the folks on this site.

Would you have believed a TT was a metaphor for cat? I highly doubt it.

Garrett

Wow man, talk about missing the point entirely. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:08 pm 
Penguin

miniserb725 wrote:
Maybe not, but why would you post something completely useless like that in the first place?

And I agree with pretty much everyone here, the ThumbTip and any resources you can find with effects for it will be a great tool.

I did it for the lulz.

Garrett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:01 am 
Penguin

TT hands down... easiest to carry, least obvious, and there are unlimited possibilities that will pop up on every street corner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:16 pm 

somebody just PMed me saying I was rude to ADJONES. If I was, too bad. Mr Jones had no complaint about anything I said soit couldn't have been as rude as I usually am. Always remember what an old coal miner once told me, "never offend anyone accidentally alway make sure you mean it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:16 pm 
Emperor Penguin

paddy wrote:
somebody just PMed me saying I was rude to ADJONES. If I was, too bad. Mr Jones had no complaint about anything I said soit couldn't have been as rude as I usually am. Always remember what an old coal miner once told me, "never offend anyone accidentally alway make sure you mean it."

I actually find that quite funny. You were not rude to me. We have different opinions, but you stating yours is not rude. For whoever sent the PM, thanks for the support, but Paddy did nothing that should offend I, nor you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:43 am 
Team Penguin

Paddy, I feel the same way about you as I do for Criss Angel. With every episode, I hate him more. He continues to be an egotistical moron, thinking that he knows everything. Seriously dude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:33 pm 
born to perform.

The answer here depends on what you mean by "street magic." If you're talking about busking, then the "best gimmicks" aren't on that list.

If you're talking about just walking around doing magic on the street, then you're really talking about close-up magic (geez... I wish people would just say "close-up magic" instead of "street magic" when that's what they really mean :roll: ). Close-up magic done on the street is not "street magic"; it's close-up magic done on the street.

Anyway...

The Raven is a one-trick pony. Meh.

IT is very problematic when used close-up. Too many risk factors involved to make it "best," though when it works, it works well.

TT... definitely the most versatile items on the list. If you keep in mind that it wasn't designed to be used as a close-up gimmick and ensure that you put in the proper work to account for that, this could be #1. However, you need to a lot of planning, routining, and pocket management if you are going to do more than one trick involving a TT in the same routine. Can be as problematic as a Raven in that regard, unless you carry more than one.

Scotch & Soda has reset issues if you use the standard set...which is why I use normal, ungimmicked coins to do this trick. To clarify, Scotch & Soda is a trick, not a gimmick; the trick can be done with a standard Scotch & Soda set, which includes a gimmick, but it can also be done with normal coins.

Sponge Balls. Very versatile, though if you're going to do stuff on the street, you'll want to make sure you have in-hands material in case you don't have access to a clean working surface...or any working surface at all. Have to say, though, that a sponge ball is not a "gimmick," so it doesn't belong on this list...unless you change the question to what is the best "prop."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:02 pm 
Penguin

i disagreewith TT being the best...mainly cuz im pretty pale and it doesnt match my skin to well, but i really only like using it when at a resturant and ill make salt/sugar disappear, then i toss the TT

-As for IT its a good visual trick for street magic but natural conditions can screw you up such as wind, ect. Also you have to be wearing dark clothes (not to bad)..And also you have to master easyly taking off the gimmik on the card to show its not fake (hope i didnt reveal anything)

-Scotch and Soda is cool, i will be gettign it in the mail tommorrow i hope.. Anyways i find this more of a casual/resturante trick...I mean sitting at a table then penatrating it thru a table is fun..The problem with this trick is if ppl want to see the coins, you must work on (and i must work on) coin switching to show their normal.

Raven is okay i guess, it ends up clean but if your just trying to preform vanishes i find the TT enough to show your magicical abilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:37 pm 
born to perform.

nickyd8 wrote:
i disagreewith TT being the best...mainly cuz im pretty pale and it doesnt match my skin to well, but i really only like using it when at a resturant and ill make salt/sugar disappear, then i toss the TT

-As for IT its a good visual trick for street magic but natural conditions can screw you up such as wind, ect. Also you have to be wearing dark clothes (not to bad)..And also you have to master easyly taking off the gimmik on the card to show its not fake (hope i didnt reveal anything)

-Scotch and Soda is cool, i will be gettign it in the mail tommorrow i hope.. Anyways i find this more of a casual/resturante trick...I mean sitting at a table then penatrating it thru a table is fun..The problem with this trick is if ppl want to see the coins, you must work on (and i must work on) coin switching to show their normal.

Raven is okay i guess, it ends up clean but if your just trying to preform vanishes i find the TT enough to show your magicical abilities.

Nicky,
I'm very pale, and I use the normal Vernet tips regularly. If you keep your hand in motion, there's nothing to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:01 am 

Dbaker is right. I have seen a black magician use a bright red thumb tip and no one noticed. He was at a ring meeting and not one of us caught the tip.

It's ALL in PRESENTATION not in the gimmick. Anyone can use a gimmick, it takes a magician to perform with one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:11 am 
Penguin

Popchris Wrote
Quote:
Paddy, I feel the same way about you as I do for Criss Angel. With every episode, I hate him more. He continues to be an egotistical moron, thinking that he knows everything. Seriously dude.

Myself on the otherhand, find that remark to be completley opposite, being a beginner, whenever i see a post by paddy i always read through it because they usually have the most helpful tips, even if stated rather bluntly,

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:53 pm 
born to perform.

Popchris wrote:

There's a big difference between Criss and Paddy - Paddy actually knows what he's talking about. You dislike him because he's blunt and doesn't sugarcoat things for you, which in the end is what makes his advice helpful. Paddy's focus is on giving advice that can make the performer better, not raising his self esteem.

Seriously dude :roll: . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:22 pm 
Penguin

dbaker_creator wrote:
nickyd8 wrote:

Nicky,
I'm very pale, and I use the normal Vernet tips regularly. If you keep your hand in motion, there's nothing to see.

yeh i did more tricks yesterday and today with mit and noone noticed