View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How much do you usually get in tips per night? jw
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:51 pm 
Penguin

I'm wondering how much money some restaurant magicians make in a night of walk around. I know some may give half of their tips (or more or less) to staff. However, I'm asking how much you actually receive from customers at the restaurant, even if you don't keep it. You can also share your methods for getting tips if you like.
Personally, I work at a Ninety-Nine Restaurant two nights a week (for those who don't know, Ninety-Nine is sort of like TGI Fridays or Applebees, but a little more upscale, more casual). I work Wednesday and Friday nights. I don't wear any special buttons, or use any tip trays, or anything like that. I do use a couple of lines in my routines that imply tipping from time to time. I also sometimes use borrowed money. In a given night my tips usually total $10-$15 (which seems not so good to me). The most I ever made in tips in a night was $32. Sometimes it's as low as $2-$6 in a night. However, customers are usually really keen on telling the hostess how much they enjoyed the magic. I also noticed that I seem to get more tips on Wednesday Nights, for whatever reason, even though there are less people there, and I typically do a lot less tables. Maybe I could use more tip implications, but to me that seems a little rude. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:52 am 
Penguin

Usually between 5-20 euro.
As a close I use the billswitch. Than I do something very clever.
I pretend to put it into my pocket and say thank you.
I already ditched the TT into my pocket. And when I take bill back out of my pocket they usually say, you can keep it.
When they say that, you can state that your performance was good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:06 am 

On a Friday or Saturday night I will bring in US$200 easily in tips alone, plus my restaurant fee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:59 am 
born to perform.

Performing at restaurants are a pretty good way to make money, compared to some other jobs. And it's a job that we enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:13 am 
Penguin

Paddy, I'm interested to know how many tables you typically do on a Friday or Saturday Night, and how many hours you work. Do you use any lines, etc. to help you get that much in tips? How many tables would you say actually tip you on a given night?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:52 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I will work about 5 hours a night, and I will go through anywhere from 10-20 an hour. Sometimes, if it's slow, I will go through fewer tables. And I will average about $5 from a table (that factoring in people who tip much more, and some who don't tip at all). So I can make quite a bit a night just on tips. I usually turn down smaller tips though, unless they insist. So all in all, on a normal night, I will make between $100-$200 a night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:49 pm 

jackpot6200 wrote:
Paddy, I'm interested to know how many tables you typically do on a Friday or Saturday Night, and how many hours you work. Do you use any lines, etc. to help you get that much in tips? How many tables would you say actually tip you on a given night?

I only work between 3 and 4 hours a night myself. However the important word is WORK. Like Fallingblood, I am constantly going from table to table and then up to the bar and back to the tables. I will stop to go to the bathroom and take a sip of water or maybe diet Coke, NOTHING ELSE. The bartender knows that if somebody wants to buy me a drink, to tell them I am not allowed to drink. I am, but I won't because if there are children there I do not want to set a bad example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:28 pm 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
I will work about 5 hours a night, and I will go through anywhere from 10-20 an hour. Sometimes, if it's slow, I will go through fewer tables. And I will average about $5 from a table (that factoring in people who tip much more, and some who don't tip at all). So I can make quite a bit a night just on tips. I usually turn down smaller tips though, unless they insist. So all in all, on a normal night, I will make between $100-$200 a night.

5 hours a night. 10-20 bucks an hour. 100-200bucks a night. Something does not add up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:32 pm 
Emperor Penguin

It does add up if you read the whole thing.
10-20 tables an hour.
Average of $5 in tips from each table.
I don't take small tips, so I do give up quite a few $5 tips.
With giving up all of those tips, I still average $100-200 a night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:35 pm 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
10-20 tables an hour.

10-20 tables an hour makes a lot more sense than 10-20 dollars in tips an hour. Thanks for clearing it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:15 am 
Penguin

I work at a smallish family style Italian restaurant. The owners are gracious enough to pay me $10 an hour along with myself accepting tips.

I work on fridays for two hours and my average salary is about $60 (including tips and set salary) So, I usually earn around $40 in tips alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:03 am 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
On a Friday or Saturday night I will bring in US$200 easily in tips alone, plus my restaurant fee.

Guess wearing that "Tipping ain't a city in China" button really helps, eh? :roll:

fallingblood wrote:
10-20 tables an hour.

Wait...you don't "take small tips?" And you consider a $5 spot a "small tip?" This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

WTH? I call BS.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:02 am 
Penguin

I go to the resteraunt where i used to work, lots of happy rich people just itching to give bills away.

not that i tell them to either, they are just impressed, especially with the vanishing beer bottle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:03 am 
Penguin

you know falling blood, some spectators may find your refusal of their tip offensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:52 am 

Maybe he means he passes those on to the help staff. Maybe not. But I agree that refusing tips could be taken as an insult.