View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: is this enough (or too much) for a kids show?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:01 pm 
born to perform.

I'm thinking of getting a kid's show together and I was hoping someone could tell me if what I have is good. (I'm hoping for the show to be at least 45 minutes)

This is what I already have:
Spongeballs
Dubious domino
Thumbtip
Fantasio appearing cane
Break away wand
Devil's hankerchief (although I'm still debating if I should use it)

This is what I want to get:
Magic coloring book
Card castle
Change bag standard
TT streamer
Vabishing cane
Linking rings
Sponge color
Go go gone
Vernet zombie ball
Sponge gimmick
Blendo
Hot rod

It might seem like a lot (especially after I read what all the other people wrote about doing a show with like 5 tricks), but a lot of the stuff I'll combine together into one routine, for example I'm planning on using the blendo with a change bag, and I'll combine all the sponge related stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:01 pm 
Penguin

many people come on here and ask if what they have is good or not. This can not be answered by anyone as they are not you. You should try to make an entertaining show out of it. It may happen and it may not. But at least attempting this will help you grow as a performer.

if all you can get out of what you have is 20 minutes then you can find some more to fill the other 20.

So try and maybe fail. No one (myself included) had the same level of show they do now when they first started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:14 pm 
Penguin

Location: Hattiesburg, MS or Provo, UT Depending on the season.
Just a recommendation... Get the dissappearing crayons. They'll help you make an amazing routine out of the magic coloring book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:37 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I believe if you purchases all of that and put it into a 45 minute show, you would try to rush through the show, wanting to complete every effect. And the show, overall, would end up horrible. However, that being said, certain things can be grouped together, such as:

-Magic Coloring Book

-Breakaway Wand

-Vanishing Crayons

For example, you bring out your magical coloring book, which is blank, wave over it with your wand, and now there are pictures. You bring out a box of crayons, set it on your table, or stool, or whatever you're using, and ask your assistant to color the book for you with your magic wand. You hand her the book and tell her to wave over it with the wand. The wand breaks apart. So then you take it back, fix it, and try it again. This time she waves the broken wand over the coloring book, and when looked at, all the crayons are gone. Of course, when you go through the coloring book, every page is colored.

To me, that would be a very entertaining piece of magic, especially with good acting skills on behalf of the magician. It could be played out for at least 10 minutes, and with a little switcheroo in your case, you could give the spectator the crayons, the coloring book, and the wand (obviously replaced for a normal wand), as souvenirs. I think that would go over great with the parents, especially if your assistant that gets the gifts is the birthday child.

So, before you go and buy all that stuff, really think it through, and think about what you can group together, what would be dumb in a children's show, etc. You'll find that you can greatly narrow down your show both time wise and in the amount of effects you have in it. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:00 am 

adjones wrote:
...-Magic Coloring Book

-Breakaway Wand

-Vanishing Crayons

For example, you bring out your magical coloring book, which is blank, wave over it with your wand, and now there are pictures. You bring out a box of crayons, set it on your table, or stool, or whatever you're using, and ask your assistant to color the book for you with your magic wand. You hand her the book and tell her to wave over it with the wand. The wand breaks apart. So then you take it back, fix it, and try it again. This time she waves the broken wand over the coloring book, and when looked at, all the crayons are gone. Of course, when you go through the coloring book, every page is colored...

That routine above, when done with patter should take a MINIMUM of 5 to 7 minutes up to 10 minutes. Then add in a thumb tip, sponge balls, and a finale and there is your show. Remember the key to a successful show is ENTERTAINMENT not how many tricks you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:30 am 
Penguin

I agree with adjones, especialy about the break away wand, if you perform it well and with some laughs you cant get a good 3-5 minutes out of it. Ive seen some people perform it for longer, but the end result wasnt all that great. I also own the other two and I think these are great as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:02 pm 
born to perform.

First of all I want to thank everyone who posted a reply, you're advice was very helpful.

When I was looking at what to get i saw that Penguin Magic didn't reccomend the vanishing crayons so I didn't even bother trying to get them, but since it seems that everyone else says that it's good, i'll look into it.

Thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:05 pm 
born to perform.

I was looking at what Penguin Magic has to offeand i was wondering if it would be worth the extra $ to get a different change bag instead of the standard, can someone please tell me if it make a difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:22 pm 
Penguin

i got the change bag deluxe from bazr de magia and i think it was about $17$ bucks but the only thing I know about it thats different from the standard is its shinier and has tassels. My opinion you should probably spend that few extra bucks and get the repeat, but its really up to you and how you want to present it. :D

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:16 pm 
born to perform.

There is no way possible to do that many effects in 45 minutes!
It would be one trick after another. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MAGIC!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:25 pm 
Penguin

One other thing to consider is the age of the audience. Believe it or not, 45 minutes can be a long time to hold the attention of a bunch of 4 and 5 year olds to sit and watch a show. Four routines (groups of trips) in 30 minutes will keep them the most happy.

One more thing you can do to add a little time is to end the show with the birthday child performing a self-working trick that you teach them before the show and then you let them keep it. I use the disappearing lollipops and the birthday kid gets a huge round of applause by the audience to end the show. This gets the parents watching your show to ask for your card!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:12 pm 
Penguin

Another thing i also forgot was you might want to consider what tricks you do for what age group as well. Younger kids dont get alot of the more complicated ones, they enjoy the laughs and colorful things. Where if you have older kids (8-10) you could use less jokes(im not saying there bad)and a little more complicated illusions, that have great reactions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:47 am 
born to perform.

Thank you to everyone who replied, your advice was very helpful!