View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: David Blaine's Stunts, Are they just Tricks?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:54 pm 
Penguin

Im a big fan of Blaine considering he was the first magician I saw, even though he pretty much built a career on a charisma, an interesting character, some simple DL tricks and gimmicks.

Anyway on to my point, does anyone know with any degree of certainty if his 44 day fast was legitimate? I only ask this because I remember watching a programme about it on ITV1 over here in the UK, which alleged it was faked and there was a guy dressed like Blaine hanging around in the closed off quarters. They proved this with video footage. This guy had the exact same skin tone, hair colour, shirt and trousers. The programme was called Tonight with Trevor McDonald.

I remember also hearing about his frozen in time stunt which was alleged to have been faked with a trap door, is there any substance to this or is it all just speculation?

Daz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:01 pm 
Penguin

of course his stunts are just tricks davids just a fony criss angel is the real deal with his tests of endurance 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:13 am 
born to perform.

My guess is that the "reporter" you're referring to brought that fellow along to create a faux conspiracy. Reporters thrive on that sort of thing, and folks in the UK are not known to like Blaine very much.

As for Frozen In Time, there where spectators there the entire time, video footage 24hours a day, and maintenance people cleaning up from time to time. At no time did he disappear, become invisible, or leave sight.
More importantly, where would they put the trap door? The entire thing was in the middle of New York! Shockingly, NY doesn't have trap doors built into the sidewalk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:48 am 
Emperor Penguin

dbaker_creator wrote:
My guess is that the "reporter" you're referring to brought that fellow along to create a faux conspiracy. Reporters thrive on that sort of thing, and folks in the UK are not known to like Blaine very much.

As for Frozen In Time, there where spectators there the entire time, video footage 24hours a day, and maintenance people cleaning up from time to time. At no time did he disappear, become invisible, or leave sight.
More importantly, where would they put the trap door? The entire thing was in the middle of New York! Shockingly, NY doesn't have trap doors built into the sidewalk.

But it was sitting on top of a wooden platform so it would be raised enough for everyone to see. The Masked Magician show showed how this was accomplished. It was a trick, not a stunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:38 pm 
Penguin

Hmmm... I wonder just how cold it was inside his ice. Wouldn't his stunt be something like being in an igloo?
http://www.benmeadows.com/refinfo/Tips/Article1.htm
"... WARNING! It is vital to make at least one airhole in the roof to avoid suffocation. The igloo will get very warm inside with heat from your body, even if it is cold and windy outside. Without ventilation, lethal carbon dioxide will build up..."
I do not doubt that he stayed inside. Dr Silkini, the Great Ghostmaster and FROZEN ALIVE, http://www.silkini.com/Fa/Fa2.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:57 pm 
born to perform.

magikrn wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:

But it was sitting on top of a wooden platform so it would be raised enough for everyone to see. The Masked Magician show showed how this was accomplished. It was a trick, not a stunt.

"was" or "could be"? There are alot of things that "could be" in magic but few that are. Do you have ANY other reason to believe that it was a trick?

Phenomenalist, that assumes you have cold weather suited clothing. Igloo or no igloo, you'd die without a parka to keep your body from losing heat too quickly. If you don't have the parka, the igloo is useless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:21 pm 
Penguin

Did you check out the silkini link, dbaker? Scroll through the pictures, look at the clothing that the 'Talent' was wearing. One pic has the emerging 'Talent' in shorts.

In a smaller confined space made of ice, air would need to be pumped in to prevent suffocation in the enclosed space, so with air pumped in at the outside temperture of even 50-60 degrees F, + the body temperture of 98.6 F I would venture to say it would probably be a comfortable temperture inside, if not even a little to warm. As long as the person inside is not on the ice proper the parka and cold weather clothing is not needed.

All in all a great illusion created by our own experiences with ice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:21 am 
born to perform.

Hmmm, even if you are right that doesn't make the stunt a "trick" or an illusion. He's in the ice vs. he's not in the ice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:55 am 
Penguin

That would depend on how you define an illusion wouldn't it?
From the perceptions of those that looked at whoever was encased in the ice and when they (the spectator) touched the ice to see if it was real, the ice would be 32 degrees F/ Zero degrees C. That is cold. With that perception of touching the ice and it being cold to them, the illusion of it HAS to be cold inside would be imprinted on their mind.
Could have DB been snuck out and in with a false bottom? A 'trick'? Perhaps, but why? The only reason I could think of would be so he could get rid of body fluids (you know #1 and #2), but even then, if he were to go without any intake of solid foods and little amounts of hydrating fluids, would having to rid the body of waste be an issue? It was a publicity stunt for our entertainment and IMHO think that he would have stayed inside, using the perceptions of the cold illusion.
It is not going to do any good to debate the subject for we all have our own ideas and perceptions on it, none of which are wrong for each individual. I can accept your input and understand that it is your belief and I respect that. I ony offer my perception and belief from my own experiences and thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:24 pm 
born to perform.

ThePhenomenalist wrote:
That would depend on how you define an illusion wouldn't it?
From the perceptions of those that looked at whoever was encased in the ice and when they (the spectator) touched the ice to see if it was real, the ice would be 32 degrees F/ Zero degrees C. That is cold. With that perception of touching the ice and it being cold to them, the illusion of it HAS to be cold inside would be imprinted on their mind.
Could have DB been snuck out and in with a false bottom? A 'trick'? Perhaps, but why? The only reason I could think of would be so he could get rid of body fluids (you know #1 and #2), but even then, if he were to go without any intake of solid foods and little amounts of hydrating fluids, would having to rid the body of waste be an issue? It was a publicity stunt for our entertainment and IMHO think that he would have stayed inside, using the perceptions of the cold illusion.
It is not going to do any good to debate the subject for we all have our own ideas and perceptions on it, none of which are wrong for each individual. I can accept your input and understand that it is your belief and I respect that. I ony offer my perception and belief from my own experiences and thoughts.

Just so mine are out there:
I don't consider it an "illusion" if he did what he said he would do. "I will remain encased in a large block of ice for several days." If he wasn't in the ice - trick, if the ice wasn't really ice - trick, if he left periodically - trick.

Personally, I think that if there being a loophole (heat generated inside the iced in area could keep him warm) doesn't change the fact that he did what he said he would do.

Anywho, as you said it depends on the ay each person defines "illusion" and "trick".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:06 pm 
born to perform.

zman851 wrote:
of course his stunts are just tricks davids just a fony criss angel is the real deal with his tests of endurance 8)

Are you serious? :lol: