View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:55 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
If it was me, I'd give an opening line like the movie "Merlin" If you saw the telivision series, You'll know what I'm talking about. While Merlin was in training, The gnome dude (ick, or something like that) said tere were 3 levels of magic. 1st was hand illusions. You can manipulate things using slight of hand. 2nd was word spells. You can make things happen with a few words spoken from your mouth. And finally, there is a third level of magic, and only queen mev was able to perform that feat, which was the power to cast spells from the mind. That is just a basic opener, and you can perform magic that matches you ability. If you wanna do ist level magic, then to coin illusions (stressing the word "illusion). Then the second level things can be props that work on their own. Then 3rd level spells can be performed using mentalisim tricks

dude, first of all the first level is word magic and the gnome dude did mind tricks at one point :x

Post subject: responses
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:08 pm 
Penguin

Spec: "How did you do that?"

Me: "Fairly well, I thought..."

Spec: "There's no such thing as magic."

Me: "You know, the definition of 'Illusion' is: Getting you to see what you don't see and not see what you do see... you see?"

I avoid the words "trick"... and "magic." "Illusion" seems a more mature and appropriate descriptor... evoking the idea that what I do is a skill of deception for the pleasure of others.

Admitting that I do illusions shuts up the magic un-believers... because I don't claim to do what I do... I just claim to appear to do what I do in such a way that makes the un-believers feel... well, stupid for making such a big deal over something that they seem to be irritated about not understanding.

I think the most important thing is to be comical and quick with your responses... and to rather not be negative or serious to the heckler.

don't be the barking dog on the leash that the bully antagonizes from a distance just to make it bark.

And always keep the max. amount of distance from the spec. as the illusion permits... don't invite an "invasion".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:12 am 
Penguin

The problem i have is when i do the tricks i have...the spectators will ruin it bye like grabbing my deck of cards of grabbing the trick i have with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:58 am 
born to perform.

geeper94550 wrote:
The problem I have is when I do the tricks I have...the spectators will ruin it bye like grabbing my deck of cards of grabbing the trick I have with me.

don't use gaffed cards as much. learn some sleight of hand, and next time they grab your cards they'll see that they're completely normal.

-nubs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:20 am 
Penguin

Again, as with my 1st post, I hope im not violating the exposure rule, since this is so basic. PLEASE tell me if you think I violated the rule. I just joined this forum yesterday and want to participate, find and give advice, etc...

Oftenly when I feel like it, I even hand them my deck with 2 or more pairs of duplicate cards to examine. They just check for I - really dont know - i presume obvious gaffs like mirrors, trap doors, chemicals, nuclear powered miniture laser color printers or any of the sorts. I've really done this many times, feeling uneasy at first, but *never* has anybody spotted the double, they simply don't look for it. Nobody will notice a short, almost nobody will find a double, its almost perfectly safe..Also, people wont take the time to examine every card, just spreading them quickly to check whether these are REAL (?) cards made of paper and not.. kryptonite??. Once they are obviously convinced that the cards are normal, simply reaching out your hand for the cards will make them return your deck. After all, YOU are the performer directing the show and dictating the speed of it. That doesn't mean that your show is robot-like, you can only stay in control if you carefully observe your audience and react to everything accordingly. If you follow them, they will follow you, simple as that. Don't be scared, you will learn so much, everytime you just go out there and do it.

If you want to get absolutely clean you can palm off the risky card(s) before handing the deck to the spectator, but as i said oftenly I dont bother about that, giving a really clean impression, with no moves at all, just handing the deck in the exact moment they ask for it. What I also do is, before they get the chance to ask to examine the cards, simply do a charlier, burying the critical card in teh deck or seperating the double)

One more thing that you all should be aware of, if not, here goes:
Often, a mischievous spectator will ask to shuffle the cards, at exactly that point in your routine where it is absolutely inappropriate. What now? This is possible with many routines, and you know when it works with yours.
If you only need to control one or 2 cards it is perfect, if not hand them the deck to shuffle and say something like "ok, you can shuffle cards.. but can you turn them into a 5 foot pink rabbit reciting plato reverse, in GREEK? (or : shuffle them without using your hands?) NO? i thought so, now give me back my darn cards and let me do my work here. Now you want to see the rabbit right? I'm SORRy, I'm not in the mood for that anymore" But i could for instance do THIS (always have a killer up your sleeeve) Always be charming obviously joking, you will have the audience on your side.

If you only have to worry about 1 card or two, you can do the following:

You look surprised, like you really dont want to give the cards away (you shouldnt need acting lessons for that) And while you sigh, saying "ooooookay..." you secretly palm off the vital card(s) and handing the spectator the now clean deck to shuffle as long as they want. When they are absolutely sure the deck is shuffled, ask for the deck, and instantly sneak the card back to the deck wherever you need it and in the same motion give the deck just a a tiny riffle. Now you can either return to your routine or improvise by saying "no i dont actually want to touch them, here, you do it" and hand the deck back instantly. so it's just: take deck, sneak card back while riffling (or yelling out "OH MY GOD DID YOU JUST SEE THAT?"), give the deck it back, saying "oh no i DON'T EVEN WANT TO TOUCH IT" all in one motion. and have them flip over the top card (*they* think *they* shuffled to) which was either the selection or whatever card is important to your routine - *now* you're *good*. and continue with the routine, switch to a new one or start fondling with that female spectators breasts.

Alright, I hope I didnt talk too much (and not too much nonsense), after all I'm still a rookie, but i hope even my few ideas might help other rookies..

My favourite one liner, by the way, "GO HOME!!" to that one guy. He will go and the rest of the audience is still very much on your side - most of the time :)

Thanks

My second post.. hooray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:37 pm 
born to perform.

Since I do bizarre magick, mentalism, fakir stunts and escapes, the few times I get that comment it's invariably from people who are nervously trying to get me to validate that assertion.
For the ultra-rare blatant statement, I respond in the tongue-in-cheek manner of giving them a sinister Bela Lugosi leer and saying with an ominous nod, "Keep telling yourself that."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:48 pm 
Penguin

when ever this happened to me i used to reply with something tottaly random like:

spec: there's no such thing as magic

me: THATS WHAT SHE SAID!

but now i quote jay sankey and say
"Its not real. but then again, what is?"
if that doesn't trip them out, i don't know what will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:01 pm 
Penguin

kenjac wrote:
I prefer Exodus' advice. I never pretend to be able to put "real magic" into practice when I perform. Personally I think it's silly to do that. Magicians such as Uri Geller make me laugh becasue of their claims.

Alex

Heh, Uri Geller isn't really a magician man. He's a paranormalist. Whether or not you believe in that sort of thing isn't relevant, in my opinion. The difference is that he claims to be genuinely in contact with the paranormal world. I don't attest that he's telling the truth, but magicians usually use their talents to make money and entertain people. Uri Geller has done numerous demonstrations of his ability for no profit and to try and help others (ie with a haunted house etc). Again, he may very well be full of crap, but I wouldn't equate him to Vernon or Sankey or any sort magician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:53 am 
born to perform.

"The art of magic is as real as you and I. If it were nothing but sleeves and trick objects, our world wouldnt recognize names such as david copperfield, lance burton, and david blaine."

as long as you say "the art of magic" and not plain "magic" you wont be lying to them and you'll be giving them you're honest, heartfelt opinion.

Post subject: Re: "There's no such thing as magic"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:20 pm 
born to perform.

PJHMarine wrote:
There is this kid at my school, and whenever I do a trick, he says,"There's no such thing as magic." And please don't say to not perform at school, I don't anymore. He says this even if I take out a deck of cards.

it depends on who they are. for some "bad" people like that, simply don't perform for them. for others i say "it is pure magic" and "magic does exist"

(i say it sarcastically, but the point is implanted!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:16 pm 
Penguin

I just say "I know, it's an illusion." because I don't believe in magic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:54 pm 
born to perform.

Just tell him 'Yeah you're right . There's no such thing as magic. It's just like that a$$hole shortage. No chance of that either !"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:56 pm 
Penguin

In this situation, you need to turn the audience against them, hecklers are most powerful when they are well liked by the crowd, just say something that makes you look great and them look bad which they can't follow up on like "Bant, oh I'm sorry but you lose!" and then go on with your trick. Or, I find that if you say something with big words, they just shut up, like "in an infinate universe where everything is relative, somethings existance such as said concept of "magic", completely depends on the perspectives and philosophies of those contemplating it." Or if that doesn't work justr say "well neither is your (brain/mom/life/skills/imagination/something they hold dear) but you don't hear me complaining about it now do you?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:18 pm 
Penguin

when someone says this, i am usually more excited to blow their minds with a trick that is hard to explain, (like ID or Blindsided). Then if i do it right, and have good control, he atleast is going to be left mystiified

Try pulling out your best tricks on these kind of people! you will get the respect you deserve!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:24 pm 
born to perform.

"go away"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next