View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: PA system question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:41 pm 
born to perform.

I want a very inexpensive PA system (around $100) for Christmas. About a month ago, I found online, a nice $100 PA system. It came with wireless microphone, and a wired microphone and a whole bunch of those accessories. However, I've come to the point where I need that site again, but I can't manage to find it...Can any of you help me search for around a $100 PA system, a good size one, that could project to about 100+ people.

This is what I've come up with so far:

http://www.music123.com/Nady-WA-120-Por ... 2.Music123

I know it's very small and probably not very "strong." Should I not ask this for Christmas and in a few years, buy a much bigger and better one?

Thanks,
Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:15 pm 
born to perform.

You can buy a wireless mic and reciever on ebay for $20.00. Then all you need is a boombox with a mic jack.

Under $100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:49 pm 
born to perform.

Not long ago we were going to buy our daughter a portage system. We were looking at investing in a good one. However, my hubby had a 25 w guitar amp, and using an old microphone/receiver from his old videography business found that system worked fine for the time being. We did invest in a new microphone ($30) because our daughter didn't like the lapel mic and opted for a headset style.

In another year or two she we will invest in a nicer, bigger system-- but in the meantime, this easily projects her voice in most situations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:00 pm 
born to perform.

SirJonIV,

Here's belt clip amp for $25 + $5 shipping.
Amp

Here's the Microphone $8.99 + $7.99 shipping.
Mic

The wireless mic will let you plug into an existing audio system if you do a show in a school or church, and the belt clip amp will give you big sound anywhere.

Congratulations, you're $53 under budget! Fortunately, that's just enough to cover my finder's fee :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:03 am 
born to perform.

The reason I needed or wanted a small PA system, was because of my talent show. Last year, I used a wired microphone, so it was inconvenient at times, and this year I want to not have that problem again. I figured that, couldn't I just add and attach a wireless headset to the stereo system? That would save me $70....

But couldn't I just attach the head set to the system? Is it possible? Are there certain features needed to perfrom this procedure? Do I need the same system as the school's system? Do I need an adapter? How would I complete the procedure.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:10 am 
born to perform.

SirJonIV wrote:
The reason I needed or wanted a small PA system, was because of my talent show. Last year, I used a wired microphone, so it was inconvenient at times, and this year I want to not have that problem again. I figured that, couldn't I just add and attach a wireless headset to the stereo system? That would save me $70....

But couldn't I just attach the head set to the system? Is it possible? Are there certain features needed to perfrom this procedure? Do I need the same system as the school's system? Do I need an adapter? How would I complete the procedure.

Thanks.

Ah. If they already have a PA system in place, you just need to know where the mics connect to the speakers (just follow the cord till you find what it's plugged into - or ask the AV kid).

Look at the Mic I gave the link for. . . see the part with the plug coming out of it? In the reference picture at the top it's the larger object. Got it? Good. . . It's called the reciever. The part that connects to you and the lapel mic is called the transmitter.

All you need to do is find where the school's mic is plugged in (ask the AV kid), unplug the school mic, and plug in the reciever. If the reciever doesn't fit, you may need to go to Radioshack and buy an adapter plug to match the sizes. It'll cost about $4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:27 pm 
born to perform.

I need to make a change to the product link post. The Product I linked to is not an AMP. It's a an electric guitar silencer. You plug it into the amp slot an wear headphones so no one hears you playing.

I would suggest going to Wal Mart and buying a CD player and boom box. I just bought one that runs on 4 'C' batteries and the sound is fine for parlor and busking.

There are small amps on ebay that actually say "perfect for buskers" but I'd rather see the product before I buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:30 pm 
Penguin

Most of the time if you are performing at a talent show there is a decent sound system in place. The organizers of the event usually make sure of that. All you would need is a wireless headset mic. The receiver usually is 1/4" jack but I would recommend that you get an adapter from 1/4" to XLR which is the same connector as a microphone cord just in case. I also work contract for a PA company and we can accept either 1/4" or XLR input for wireless mics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:19 pm 
Team Penguin

remember, you WILL get what you pay for. It would be more to your advantage to drop a couple more $100 and get something nice that will last you much longer and will work for larger audiences.

just my recommendation :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:28 pm 
born to perform.

KyletheGreat wrote:
remember, you WILL get what you pay for. It would be more to your advantage to drop a couple more $100 and get something nice that will last you much longer and will work for larger audiences.

True, but many of the youngsters around here aren't going to have a few hundred to spend.

In my case: If the place I'm performing in is large enough to require a sound system, they typically have one already and I just use my own mic.

For busking, I don't always (in fact rarely) use speakers.

If I need something better/louder/etc. I will usually just rent one for the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:16 am 
Penguin

KyletheGreat wrote:

I agree, watch out for those cheap e-bay wireless mics. If you go to a music store, just the mic can cost over 700, then the receiver is another 1k. So obviously there is a big difference in quality. Just because you think you won't need a good one because of small shows, the cheap stuff isn't even worth using because they simply sound horrible. If this helps, I found a decent sounding mic and receiver. It's called the Samson stage 5. It's pretty much all your budget, but I doubt you'll be capable of finding a wireless mic with PA, that's worth using for under 100$. Then you'll discover you wasted 100$.
The whole pugling it to a ghetto blaster might be a good Idea. Hope you find something, keep us updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:30 am 
born to perform.

Joga wrote:
I agree, watch out for those cheap e-bay wireless mics. If you go to a music store, just the mic can cost over 700, then the receiver is another 1k. So obviously there is a big difference in quality.

Ah the grand fallicy.
"Greater cost always equals greater quality."

I've seen mics like that at Guitar Center. The ones I saw where $600 for the mic.
The sales person told me it was more expensive because it connected to a digital reciever - which connected to a specialized multi-instrument/mic server system - which is designed to be used with stadium level audio equipment. The set-up needed to use the mic to it's optimum level would cost around $100,000.
Assuming that the system you connect it to is capable of working with it at all:
Will the more expensive mic be clearer? Probably, but if sound quality is your main concern as a magician, you need to rethink your priorities.
Will the more expensive mic work at a greater distance? Sure. But how far could you possibly need to go?

I use an "ebay wireless mic", and it works fine. I also use a Wal Mart boombox on occasion. If your spectators are paying more attention to your sound quality than to you - you have much bigger problems on your hands.

Short version - You get what you pay for is usually true, but it's not absolute. There are plenty of companies that charge ridiculous prices for the same crap that everyone else sells.
If "you get what you pay for" was 100% true -- Wal-mart, Costco, Sam's Club, Dollar Tree, Honda, Toyota, eMachines, and hundreds of other companies would be out of business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:34 am 
Penguin

Joga wrote:
KyletheGreat wrote:

I agree, watch out for those cheap e-bay wireless mics. If you go to a music store, just the mic can cost over 700, then the receiver is another 1k. So obviously there is a big difference in quality. Just because you think you won't need a good one because of small shows, the cheap stuff isn't even worth using because they simply sound horrible. If this helps, I found a decent sounding mic and receiver. It's called the Samson stage 5. It's pretty much all your budget, but I doubt you'll be capable of finding a wireless mic with PA, that's worth using for under 100$. Then you'll discover you wasted 100$.
The whole pugling it to a ghetto blaster might be a good Idea. Hope you find something, keep us updated.

The Samson line of mics are really good. We use those for our live concerts and in recording as well. Can't go wrong with that brand. Also you may want to take a look at Shure mics. They tend to be the industry standard brand amongst Pro Audio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:51 pm 
born to perform.

Joga wrote:
KyletheGreat wrote:

A magician does not need a $700 wireless mic. There are a ton of good wireless mics that are WAY cheaper.

If you can't afford a wireless headset, you can get decent handheld wireless mic for under $50. I bought the Gem with 2 mics for $30. Then get a boom stand for handfree operation.

Nady makes a single box PA for $199, $249 and $299. RPA-2, RPA-4 and RPA-6. It has the mixer and amp built into the cabinet and it is on wheels for easy transportation. I bought the RPA-4 for a cub scout pack and it works fine. Not super powerful but way more professional than a boombox - I think that would be pretty cheesy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:44 am 
born to perform.

tbwendt wrote:
Not super powerful but way more professional than a boombox - I think that would be pretty cheesy.

I've always found humor in the suggestion that "professional looking" magician equipment is somehow superior. Function is function - cost is cost - if the product does the job, who gives a crap?

Again, if your spectators are focussing on your sound system and how "unprofessional" it looks - you need to work on your act.

On a related note: I assume that there are no buskers present. If you are busking and you're using an expensive amp or sound system, you're an idiot.
- - -Audience, behold my $250 mic and my $400 amplifier! Now watch me link these - hey bring that back!- - -