View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:09 pm 
Penguin

Rings meaning to a good place to Busk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:24 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Ibm Ring. As in your local chapter of the International Brotherhood of Magicians. You meet monthly with other members to discuss magic, and everything else that goes with magic. Join now, you won't regret it.

www.Magician.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:41 pm 

magikrn, you make it too easy for them. Let them find the site on their own. That's why God invented Google.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:09 pm 
Penguin

WOW! I live right across the street from the meeting place in St. Louis (Ring 1) Thank you, I will make sure I make it to the meetings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:41 pm 
Emperor Penguin

paddy wrote:
magikrn, you make it too easy for them. Let them find the site on their own. That's why God invented Google.

I'm sorry Paddy, but he never would have found it........ :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:13 am 
Emperor Penguin

paddy wrote:

I think we should help them a little more than just telling him what the Ring is. Sure, he has to do some work himself, but you older guys (don't take that to offense!), and even me, need to be more welcoming with people coming into our art. Telling him to do it all on his own and being so mean isn't going to want them be a part of it anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:18 am 

There is a difference between helping and doing everthing for a person. When I say find a local Ring, in this day of internet, all a person has to do is Google "local magic ring" and all the information is there, and the 2nd listing is IBM. The first is Local Ring 94. My that is SO HARD!

Our oath is never to reveal the secrets of magic except to teach it. If someone is inot nterested enough to do just that, they really just want to know secrets and don't want to learn how to perform effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 pm 
Emperor Penguin

But if he's interested enough to know about the IBM, then we should help him out... he's obviously not here just for secrets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:08 pm 

adjones wrote:
But if he's interested enough to know about the IBM, then we should help him out... he's obviously not here just for secrets.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I understand your point, but just see it differently. Maybe because When I was young, that's how we had to learn, we had to go to the library and investigate.

Obviously this was way before the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:05 am 
Penguin

Im sorry but are you guys talking about me? I am not in it for secreats but in it to learn. I am sorry that we have upseted you paddy, but i rather improve my abilitys on my tricks then to learn a new one. HOWEVER I have to agree with you just a tad, magikrn could have just said find a local ring, but he was being nice, if the oath is to teach not to reveal then magikrn was teaching me something that I did not know was there. I am realy sorry... But I have to thank magikrn and adjones for backing me up.

Kyle
AKA Spydude777

Post subject: Busking
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:41 am 
Penguin

Okay So I haven't done a ton of street performing, however I've been performing for people in the cafeteria and stuff like that at college and for friends for quite some time now. I am also a comedian. I do that all the time and have performed at some of the top clubs in the country. However I am moving to NYC to make that my career. While doing that though I was hoping to be doing busking during the day. Partially to promote my shows and mostly to pay my rent. I figured in NYC even a decent circle show should bring in $150 on a weekday and maybe more on the weekends. I was wondering though from anyone who had performed in NYC if that sounds possible? I would probably hit some of the main spots for tourist.

Where do most of you keep your tips between performances?

Post subject: Re: thanx
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:32 am 
Penguin

superandrew wrote:
Okay, first off, what you need to remember is the street can be a dangerous place. People have tried to steal my amp, my hat, and my props (I still loose an orange every now and again). There is so much going on in a street show, that you need to keep a cool head all the time, and NEVER take your eyes off your props.

Using this tidbit of information, what problems could you see with a mail bag escape? You are giving the impression that you are locked in a bag and can't get out. When you are in the bag, you aren't easily portable and you can't see the crowd: good luck keeping your eyes on your props. If you wanted to do an escape routine, you could close with that, but choose a routine that allows you to always keep an eye on your props.

Also, the mail bag can't be performed surrounded. A curtain is required to be droped in front of the bag, meaning that it is not an ideal trick for the street.

The Cups and Balls would be a good choice, check out the following materials:
- 25 Tricks with the Cups and Balls (Cheap DVD, and this is the first DVD I got on the subject, it teaches you all of the basic moves, and gives you a basic footing)
- Gazzo's Street Cups and Balls
-Cellini's Art of Street Performing DVD Volume 2
- Dai Vernon's Cups and Balls on his Revelations DVD (I can't remember the volume number off hand. This feature Michael Ammar performing Dai Vernon's routine, and Dai Vernon making comments on the fly. Not the clearest DVD, but worth watching)
- Peter Wardell's Crowd Puller (A routine similar to Gazzo's, but a great Street Performing DVD all in all)

The above DVDs give the basics and the main routines found on the street. With the above DVDs, you will know all that you will ever need to know about performing Cups and Balls on the street. On the street you want to keep your routine simple, so you really don't need a complicated routine. Use the above material and create your own routine.

Check out Boston, I would highly recommend it. Cambridge offers a lot of possibilities also. I busked at Fanny Hall for a couple summers and loved it, Boston is a great city.

Andrew

I have seen a mail bag escape that can be performed surounded. A friend of mine by the name of Ron Price. He is not only in a mail bag But also in an old drawstring laundry which is outside the mail bag. In this presentation it will work surrounded . I believe that I dea is original with Ron. Although I do agree Not a good idea on streets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 am 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
Our oath is never to reveal the secrets of magic except to teach it. If someone is inot nterested enough to do just that, they really just want to know secrets and don't want to learn how to perform effects.

Which Oath is this? And if there some way we could make it legally binding... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:12 pm 

Thomas asked about the magician's oath. It is in the I.B.M. papers as wel as S.A.M. legally binding? no but morally it is. In fact The one who does the TV show revealing secrets had his membership in both I.B.M. and S.A.M. revoked permanently

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:39 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
In fact The one who does the TV show revealing secrets had his membership in both I.B.M. and S.A.M. revoked permanently

Good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next