View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:56 pm 
Penguin

Monkey_says_oohoohah wrote:
I got this from some guy on a Sankey DVD...

When they ask, "How did you do that?"

You kind of lean in and lower your voice and say, "The question isn't 'How Did He Do It', You should be asking yourself... Why did he do it?"

It's a nice point, It confuses the spectator a little and puts the question back on them.

If the spectator goes away thinking about your reasons for doing the trick then it will cause them to think about the trick itself, they think about you, and it reinforces the magic in their head.

That would be Mike Skutt. And that is one of the coolest answers to "the question" I have ever heard. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, just make sure you pick the right spectator to say it to or they will have a negative reaction.

Post subject: Re: "How did you do that?!?" I got a great answer.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:58 pm 
Penguin

TheGame517 wrote:
mombourquette wrote:
Sailor15797 wrote:
RAngel wrote:
Alright ... the phrase all spectators say after just watching an awesome trick, "How did you do that?!?"

I have the best response to that ... You kinda whisper to them, "Can you keep a secret?" And of course they will say yes, then you say in normal voice, "well ... so can i!" and just kinda joke around with them.
whew.

"Spam
Purposely spamming a message board with senseless, vacuous, or empty messages (1 word comments, single or numerous Emoticons) to increase your post count is highly frowned upon. This includes such things as two-word "I agree" or "me too" responses, continually posting the same topic
on a particular board, and posting the same question across several boards."

***EDIT***

Though emoticon quote periods are great (WITH SUBTLE HINT OF EXTREME SARCASM).

:shock: :shock: :shock:
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:24 pm 
Penguin

The response I use the most:

Spec: How did you do that?

Me: I bend the very fabric of space and time.

The best part is, I'm not lying! Anything comprised of matter bends space and time to some degree, and it is the property of being made of matter that lets me manipulate cards, coins, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:58 pm 
Penguin

Usually with me it's:

"how'd you do that?!"

Me: Very well. Thank you :D

Absolute best one I ever had, I was working a resteraunt and I had this husband and wife couple, I had just finished up, gotten the tip and the Wife excused herself for the bathroom and the husband asked me the question: "how'd you do that?" thinking I'd be clever I answered: I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you, Big grin on my face trying to show ha ha how clever am I sort of thing. He gets a thoughtful look on his face and looks off into the distance for a second then he turns to me and asks me with a straight face: Could you tell my wife?

Knocked me speachless.. Still think it's hilarious

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:52 pm 
born to perform.

I learned it at church. Then I put on a straight face and a long pause.

Post subject: Re: "How did you do that?!?" I got a great answer.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:24 am 
Penguin

RAngel wrote:
Alright ... the phrase all spectators say after just watching an awesome trick, "How did you do that?!?"

I have the best response to that ... You kinda whisper to them, "Can you keep a secret?" And of course they will say yes, then you say in normal voice, "well ... so can i!" and just kinda joke around with them.

Lol I use that too , but its growing old for me so Im trying to come up with a new one :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 am 
Penguin

I dunno, but instantly I always say, "It's magic" with a smile. For me, it works best with amazement in their faces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:20 pm 
Penguin

Once I figure it out myself, I promise to let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:19 am 
Penguin

My favorite is from Don Alan.

Spec: "How did you do that?"

Don: "Very well, I thought."

Of course if its one of those bits where the spec "does the magic" you just turn it around on them. "I didn't...you did. How did you do it?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:01 am 
Penguin

one response i had with one person asking "how'd u do that?" when i performed the 5 & 1 transpo was "all i did was i froze time, switched the bills in my hand and unfroze time to show you the result you see now.... thats all, its just that simple man" it had him laughing and playing along saying "yea, sounds simple enough" lol

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:26 pm 
born to perform.

truth is any of these can be great depending on your timing, tone, expression, and personality

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:34 pm 
born to perform.

JJMIX2003 wrote:
i picked this up from criss angel.

first off, dont just do a trick, seem like your really doing this, present your tricks as a supernatural happening. when they ask how you do something, just stare at them with a small smerk, maybe even tell them that "its magic" you dont want the idea that you just did a trick or illusion, you never say let me do a trick. begining, middle, and end of a trick, you want you audience to believe that what you did is completly real. and for the non believers, they can try to explain your trick till they are blue in the face, but there is never 100% evidence.

This has to be the worst advice I ever heard. Then again, look at the ultimate source. The reason why is, if you get a magician in the crowd and he hears you claim to have real powers he might expose you...then you look like a fool to your audience.

As has been said, you want the audience entertained, not challenged. If they care more about the effect and how entertaining it is, they won't care about the method. Lastly, if you want to be an entertaining magician the last person to take advice from is Criss Angel.

We should never claim we have supernatural powers. We are entertainers. It is also fraud.

That out of the way... What I used to say was " With a lot of practice" and just giggle.. I think I'll borrow Sankey's " The real question you should be asking is WHY did I do that."

I also like Tommy Wonder's " You know I became a magician just to find out how I do this?"

Ammar also from time to time will just stop and say.." You know..I still can't figure out how I do this... I need to analyze it more.." And continues to mystify.

jrandom said :

Quote:
The response I use the most:

Spec: How did you do that?

Me: I bend the very fabric of space and time.

The best part is, I'm not lying! Anything comprised of matter bends space and time to some degree, and it is the property of being made of matter that lets me manipulate cards, coins, etc.

Ok found a new favorite... lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:37 pm 
Penguin

i think thisis a great reply. i just starting using i.
thanx
Sailor :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:37 pm 
born to perform.

Chambers wrote:
Usually with me it's:

"how'd you do that?!"

Me: Very well. Thank you :D

Absolute best one I ever had, I was working a resteraunt and I had this husband and wife couple, I had just finished up, gotten the tip and the Wife excused herself for the bathroom and the husband asked me the question: "how'd you do that?" thinking I'd be clever I answered: I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you, Big grin on my face trying to show ha ha how clever am I sort of thing. He gets a thoughtful look on his face and looks off into the distance for a second then he turns to me and asks me with a straight face: Could you tell my wife?

Knocked me speachless.. Still think it's hilarious

I thought this was very funny. I might start using this one! thanks for sharing! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:52 am 
Penguin

Spec asks, "How did you do that"

"Well, let's try something to find out." Then do an effect that works in the spectator's hand, etc.

Then ask the spec in astonishment, "How did you do that????" "Please tell me your secret", with humor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next