View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Your Style of Magic
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:27 am 
Penguin

Do you know what the worst thing for beggining magicians is? No, not lack of practice. No, not impatience with learning, either. It's imitation of celebrities.

Now, what the heck am I talking about? It's good to aspire to be famous and skilled at what you like to do, right? Well, yes and no. You don't want to imitate other magicians. What do I mean? I mean style.

Yes, style. The very basis on what draws a spectator into the trick and keeps them interested in what your going to do until the very climax. For David Blaine it's the creepy, serious, and sometimes haunting element in the way he works that naturally draw eyes to him. For Oz Pearlman it's the uplifted, happy, almost eccentric way he presents a trick that keeps the audience watching, but all the same, it's STYLE that makes a magician, and it is the most important factor in what makes a magician succesful.

Style is, essentially, the way a magician presents a trick, not focusing on method or sleight of hand but actually on the patter and presentation of the method itself. For me, it's easy to classify style into a few main categories:

THE HADES: A dark, mystifying magicians who draws people in with that air of "What is he going to do next?" He/she won't talk much, and its just the sense of mystery around him or her that makes spectators keep watching. A good example is David Blaine.

THE DUMBLEDORE: Most of the time light-hearted, eccentric, and optimistic. It's just FUN to watch them perform, and they tend to love conversation in their presentations. For another good example, check out Oz Pearlman.

THE GANDALF: An everyman. Loves to make jokes and can relate to everyone in the audience. A great magician of this style is Luke Jermay.

THE SNAPE: Serious and into what he or she does, this style's professionalism and confidence makes spectators interested in what they're doing immediatly. Talks as much as necessary, and probably doesn't make jokes. An example of this style is Brian Tudor.

THE CLOWN: Sarcastic, cynical, and hilarious. Mixes magic with comedy to get one of the most fun to watch forms of entertainment. Talks and jokes a lot, and usually relates to the audience through jokes. An excellent example is Gazzo.

And of course these aren't the only ways you can act, and not everyone is classified into one of these categories, but I think they're a good way to start thinking about what style you are. I, for example, think I'm a mix between THE CLOWN and THE GANDALF because I love to make jokes and relate to my spectators.

Choosing A Style

Well, lets think about ourselves for a second. Do you like to talk? Are you sarcastic and overly confident? Do you lack self-confidence? All of these things go into your styles. Your personality; the way you act has a big input in your presentation, patter, and styles.

But it's not the only factor in play. For example, how experienced at magic are you? What type of magic do you do? How amazing are the tricks you do? These all go into making a good style for yourself. If you're a begginer that can do a few okay tricks, HADES is probably not the style for you. While, if you're an experienced stage magician that can perform a variety of amazing tricks, you could probably pull it off. For example, a lot of card magicians are usually GANDALFS or DUMBLEDORES, while mentalists or street magicians are probably better off as SNAPES or HADES.

Conclusion

Well, I can't pick your style for you. I can only tell you to DEEPLY CONSIDER the matters I've discussed here. Well, peace out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:55 pm 
born to perform.

Nothings stops someone from changing ''styles'' over years, I passed from comedy magic to mentalist. I think your essay could be had be made with more details but the main idea is there. Also someone could have different styles, I alway try to put jokes or make funny moments while doing serious mentalism.

I find it weird of using terms like ''dumbledore'' it makes you look like your a fan of harry potter and you wanted to make an essay around those terms but I understand.

Style is a big word too, there's much more to it when changing your way of acting, growing is learning to be older, you got to find your style and what fits you no matter what other people says.

It could have been reworked, but nice pointers.
~blizt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:29 pm 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
Lol harry potetr

Post subject: Re: Your Style of Magic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:48 pm 
born to perform.

I consider myself to be a CROOK. My tricks and patter have to do a lot with stealing and hiding, cheating and counterfitting. I crack a joke or two. Gregory Wilson is a good example.