View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:46 am 
born to perform.

wallis666 wrote:
There's an even bigger problem. You tell them magic is just a bunch of clever tricks that anyone with enough time on their hands can can do. Anyone who thinks this is a good idea, is, no offence, never going to get anywhere as a magician.

Penn & Teller, Doc Eason, and Bob Sheets all seem to have gotten by just fine and all of them are open about the fact that they're just guys who took the time to learn a few cool things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:58 pm 
Penguin

magicdude84 wrote:
wallis666 wrote:
There's an even bigger problem. You tell them magic is just a bunch of clever tricks that anyone with enough time on their hands can can do. Anyone who thinks this is a good idea, is, no offence, never going to get anywhere as a magician.

Penn & Teller, Doc Eason, and Bob Sheets all seem to have gotten by just fine and all of them are open about the fact that they're just guys who took the time to learn a few cool things.

The point is anyone can learn magic if you take the time to learn and practise.

However, we don't want our audiance to know this do we?

That's what i meant...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:59 pm 
born to perform.

I wrote an essay about this in the Essay forum. I believe the way you should handle it boils down to why the person is asking you.

It may be that they're saying it because they can't thing of anything else to say. It's almost a rhetorical question and is meant more as a compliment than anything. This you can answer merely by smiling or saying, "If you enjoyed that stick around for..." or whatever. This is probably the only situation that you might be able to get away with saying, "Very well". Even then it is all too easy to make yourself look rather arrogant. It might give you a cheap laugh but magic is not about you. I try and stay away from the "Can you keep a secret? So can I!" lines altogether, for the same reason - it's just derogatory.

If they asked because they want to know the secret to put their minds at ease, that actually means you presented the trick badly, or as more of a puzzle, which is wrong. It means that you touched the logical part of their brain with your trick but not their emotional side. You should always aim to get to the emotional bit since that's where the entertainment value of magic lies. In theory you should never have to encounter someone asking how you did a trick for this reason unless you happen to perform for the wrong kind of person.

If the asker wants to know the secret so that he can perform it for his friends, that's when you have to come clean and tell them that in order to get good he has to start at the bottom. If he's truly interested in magic but doesn't have the skills, point them in the direction of the local bookstore that stocks some beginner magic/pub trick books.

Finally you might meet someone who is genuinely interested and has been doing magic for a while. You can have a chat after the show and if you think he's good enough you could tell him what the trick is (not how it's done but at least what it's called and where might sell it). If he's knowledgable but still isn't good enough, tell him, like in the above example, to try something simpler before moving on. If he's serious about magic, he'll understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:23 am 
Penguin

VLaraway wrote:
myhomealaska wrote:
I usually say "very carefully" and people always get pissed and its really funny. lol

Moose
\

Yeah, or say "Pretty well... Dont'cha think so?"

-Vinnie

my favorite line is...
spec. "how did you do that!"
magician "i dont know but it worked"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:12 am 
Penguin

How about... Not say anything?

Usually its just a typical response.

If you are looking for a magical response, "Creature" seems like a good idea. "This little guy does all my work" as you cup your hands and a little creature pops out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:15 pm 
Penguin

after the effect just laugh a little bit...they ask how you did that and you just go...why you like it? "yeah" then you laugh, they'll keep asking after this but just give a little laugh..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:20 pm 
Penguin

Usually said with a crooked smile and a wink:
Years of practice and self denial... and self denial is the most difficult part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:01 pm 
born to perform.

"I could explain it to you, but your sanity would drop and the progressive nightmares of being pursued by Great Cthulhu would begin."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:03 pm 
born to perform.

Or,

(paranoid look) "You don't want to know. It's a terrible burden to be rewarded by the Great Old Ones."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:54 am 
born to perform.

HOW'D YOU DO THAT????

"Quite Well don't you think?"

"If it told you i'd have to kill you."

"I'm a Genetic Freak."

"Pure Luck."

"Through years of tedious practice and self denial."

and my favorite..... "CAMERA TRICKS!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:47 pm 
Penguin

What about taking out a pair of mirror sunglasses, putting them on and saying... With Mirrors of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:25 pm 
born to perform.

i got a great one - 'Practice and no freinds"

Post subject: Re: How did you do that?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:51 pm 
Penguin

I always say, "The right way :wink: " And walk away or continue. ORRR...I just say "Magic."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:40 am 
born to perform.

"You shouldn't tell your audience to 'Willingly suspend their disbelief," but they should know that there is a method, but it is not important- for the purpose of magic is to entertain and connect with an audience rather than just to show that you are some magical being and it's all about you."

Paraphrased from Kostya Kimlat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:16 am 
born to perform.

How did you do it?

-With magic, I told you already.
-I slipped LSD into your drink.
-Divine intervention.
-A lot of practice and a little bit of luck.
-6 ounces of corn oil and 3 feet of twine.
-I didn't. YOU did.
-Ask me again and I'll punch you in the stomach.

^^^ Courtesy of Mr. Jay Sankey lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next