View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how much money
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:48 am 
born to perform.

how much do you guys charge? i charge 40 bucks for a half hour show, is that to much, to little?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:52 am 
born to perform.

You should base your price off of what others in YOUR AREA are charging. If you feel as though your performance is on par with theirs, you should adjust your price accordingly. Paddy offered some great advice in an older thread about this. Maybe dig around a few pages of this forum and check that out.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:28 am 
Emperor Penguin

I am sure there are plenty of topics on this very subject... are there not?
I know I have seen paddy post comments to questions very much like yours, as have others. I am sure I saw one of these topics just this week, since I have been back... for this short break.
Search around.. you will find your answers.

Post subject: Re: how much money
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:53 am 

Bluebackedcards wrote:
how much do you guys charge? i charge 40 bucks for a half hour show, is that to much, to little?

$40 for a 30 minute show, and you live in Northern CA. When someone hears you say that rate, the first thing I would think is "if he is that cheap there is no way he can be any good."

If you consider that a good rate, you have to improve your show before doing another one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:40 am 
born to perform.

Don't think, "Well, I'm just starting out...my show isn't as good as others in my area so I can't charge as much as them."

Instead, think, "I should not be doing paid magic shows until my show is good enough so I can charge at least the low end of the going market rate in my area."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:10 am 
born to perform.

$175 for 45 mins...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:30 am 
born to perform.

When my daughter first began her mentor quoted $50.00 for a 15 minute show. This year he told her to increase her price to $75.00 for a 15 minute show. That does not include tip, which she has always received. Her tips have ranged from $20-50.00 for a performance.

As other forum members have stated, it really depends upon the area you are in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:46 am 
born to perform.

Start doing one for free at Liabray.. Retirment Homes... Foster Kids Events... Hospitals... Actually never stop doing free shows.. ALWAYS pretend you have a show for the week. If you don't have one CREATE ONE! Do one free... SOMEWHERE!
Then take out the free ones as you place in the paid ones. if no paid ones take that weeks place do the free one.

"Price depends on market area"

Somewhat true... If everyone is charging $175 for a kids show in your area that DOES NOT mean you can't get $250 if you have evidence you are better ALSO you could market other higher paying income areas.. (why limit yourself) If you are only getting $175 set a goal to build enough value to get $250

If your weeks are packed and you can't take anymore work and you are losing jobs because of this RAISE YOUR PRICES YOU ARE TO CHEAP!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:24 pm 
Team Penguin

Charge what you are worth... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:36 pm 

Yeah, that helps... But really it does. If you have to ask you don't know what you're worth. Charge a price and see what happens. The market will decide if you're worth it. Too many people turn you down because you're charging too much? Reduce your price or improve your show. It's really not something you can learn by asking, you have to learn by doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:15 pm 
Penguin

one question that needs to be answered is who are you? We need information about your age and experience. If you are 12 and only doing them for family friends then by all means continue with that price. You are definitely not trying to make a living at that price point. It would barely cover my gas, marketing, and wear and tear on my props.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:12 pm 
Penguin

DaveV wrote:
Yeah, that helps... But really it does. If you have to ask you don't know what you're worth. Charge a price and see what happens. The market will decide if you're worth it. Too many people turn you down because you're charging too much? Reduce your price or improve your show. It's really not something you can learn by asking, you have to learn by doing.

But Dave - what if he's not "ready?"

When I was about 15 I did my first birthday party show. Charged a whopping $35. Thought I was rolling in it because my friends at the time who were just starting to get jobs were getting paid $4.25 an hour.

Bluebackedcards - you're doing the right thing asking. Make sure you have a solid show. Then find out what others in your area charge. Be competitive with them.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:18 pm 

Robert,
True, everyone has to start somewhere. You obviously can't charge as much as a seasoned pro.

Me? I charge $1,000,000/ show. But I only have to do one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:15 am 
born to perform.

I'll give you some perspective on the area.

After I surveyed a few local magicians, I got a median price of $150 for a children's birthday party. Personally, I have 3 different shows (basic, silver, and gold). Each includes different extras and hence is priced differently.

My basic show: 30minutes of magic, balloon sculpture for birthday kid, candy for all - $100 + $5 per child.

My Silver and Gold shows have higher base prices but all add $5 per child.

By the way, if you are going to charge by the kid, don't ask people, "How many kids are coming, because I charge by the head." If you do that, you'll hear "5 kids are coming" and 15 will be there. I ask:
Your name?
Location?
Time and Date:
Number of kids attending?
Age and Name of birthday child?
Average age of kids attending?

All of these questions effect the price of the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:01 pm 
Penguin

There are a lot of variences just like dbaker said Im fron the UK and I have a sliding scale. Normally for friends and family I charge £25 ($50 est) for 30 min show not including expenses. But this is dependant on who and what it is for. Be flexible. dont price yourself out of the market.

My normal fee is around £40 ($75-80) as a base rate with add ons and that is about right for the market here. Dont price yourself out of the market otherwise you wont get anywhere.

A little tip - make sure you get the average age of the children attending and that its accurate - i was once told I was performing to a gorund of 6 and 7 year olds. Turns out that it was more like 3-4 year olds. Makes it incredibly hard to perform.