View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Classic Audience Members
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:31 pm 
born to perform.

Classic and Common Audience Members

In this essay, I will hope to cover all the classic and common audience members and personalities of the audience as you may perform. I got this idea from Jay Sankey’s book Beyond Secrets, and just built upon its shoulders.

As you may perform a show for an audience, no two of the audience members will have the same personality or character. In fact, there’s going to be lots of different people throughout the audience. And what I want to do today, is give you a handful of classic audience members you WILL come across.

Typically, most audience members are going to want to watch and enjoy your show you’re putting on and cooperate with your show. But the first audience member, you can spot first thing, is the shy person. This shy person will always be the one that’s in the corner of the room, not talking to anyone. They’re mostly likely and more often a woman than a man. Before the show, I suggest introducing yourself to everyone including “her,” so that you can get a clear impression of what she’s like.

From there, you want lower your energy. You never want to tell her to “loosen up” because that will simply make her more shy and reserved. To get “her” more engaged, you want to give her a reassuring smile and then immediately alter your attention to the main crowd or another member of the audience. And you typically want to glance over at her so that she feels more relaxed. And eventually, she will feel more relaxed.

The next classic audience member is Mr. Loud, and he is definitely more a man than a woman. You don’t need to search for him, because he’s usually going to pop out right in front of you. He’s usually calling out “funny” comments to be involved in whatever is happening. He’s always going to be the person to pick the card, grease the needle for Needle Through Balloon etc. What he really wants, is control. Mr. Loud is usually an insecure person. Everything has to be about him.

So, the thing for you to do, is give him some of your attention – that’s right. Joke around with him, so when you go to another audience member, he felt like he got his attention. Depending on the type of Mr. Loud you get, he might still be obnoxious and loud. And if that happens, I’d just ask him to move to the back of the room, where none of the attention is at. It’s like preschool – if you’re not good, you get a timeout, and that’s just what he’s getting.

This next audience member is the worst one, in my opinion. He is the Know-it-all. Why does he annoy me? Because he thinks of magic as a series of puzzle pieces to be solved. I truly don’t want to be rude, but he is the “nerd” of the audience. A thing that will shut the know-it-all up, is to perform your most powerful effect, so he has nothing to say. Just let him realize that you put the show on, to perform, magic; not puzzles to be solved. But later on, in the show he will call out a theory of how to do the trick. And that’s what also annoys me.

A few years ago I was performing the card trick “Out of this World” to my family. Just to let you know before, my uncle is Mr. Loud AND Know-it-all, so try to handle that….at the end of the trick, he explained to everyone how it was done. I tried stopping him. I felt like crying, because I was so little and didn’t know what to do. But luckily, my cousins, aunts, and family told him to stop, “Don’t be an idiot,” they told him. He stopped.

So when a know-it-all explains a theory in front of audience, draw all your audience’s attention to whatever you’re doing in your hands (i.e. card trick, coin trick, mentalism bit etc.) and take like a few seconds to look up at the know-it-all, in a face where you’re telling him, “Don’t be such a party pooper. You’re a bigger person than that, aren’t you?”

Another character to work with is the Drunk Flirt. This person is the person who has been heavily drinking and too much blood running through their body. Fortunately, I have never dealt with someone like this before. My only recommendation to that, is to ignore them.

And last but not least, the Jerk. This is the second most challenging audience member to handle, in my opinion. It might sound like the Jerk and Mr. Loud have very much in common, but they really don’t. Mr. Loud wants to be in control, and the Jerk wants to screw things up for you and you look like a fool. There can be many things wrong with this person, for it could be a man or a woman. This first thing to do, is, as the Jerk makes his first rude and impolite comment, give him a big confident smile, saying “Don’t mess with me.”

Other ways to get the Jerk off your back, is to again, perform your most powerful effect or throw lots of one-liners at toward the jerk. Nothing too harsh but something that when he tries to make a run at me, I can shut him down, and that’s important.

Again, these are just a small handful of classic audience members: Shy, Mr. Loud, Know-it-all, Drunk Flirt, and Jerk. Look out for them, and now, I hope you might have an idea of what to do when you come across these situations.

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:45 pm 
Penguin

i dont know if you notice it but a heckler have all this personalities exept the shy one great essay i love it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:12 pm 
born to perform.

Babidi wrote:
i dont know if you notice it but a heckler have all this personalities exept the shy one great essay i love it

Thanks! Good point, hecklers are everything!

Post subject: Re: Classic Audience Members
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:54 pm 
Emperor Penguin

SirJonIV wrote:
This person is the person who has been heavily drinking and too much blood running through their body.

I hope you mean alcohol. :wink: You know, I liked the premise of this essay, but it was much too rushed through. It was like you didn't spend enough time on it, and just wanted to get it out. Try and take a little more time to write and revise them. But once again, I liked it, it just seemed a little too short for such a broad topic. Oh, and you seemed to focus on the bad spectators... why not add the ones that sit back and enjoy the magic, or the ones that start screaming and running around; giving you the best reactions you've ever had? Just a thought...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

It not only needs work, but it needs more experience. :?

Something tells me, that you dont really have alot. I dont see much experience speaking through the "essay."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:20 am 
born to perform.

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
It not only needs work, but it needs more experience. :?

Something tells me, that you dont really have alot. I dont see much experience speaking through the "essay."

I agree, and thanks for the point out.