View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Putting video's on penguin theather, what we seek for?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:50 pm 
born to perform.

Sending your video, how to make something nice.

Before I get to the main point of this essay, I swear that any content found in this page as to do with ANYONE and that I generalise because there is some sort of fashion going with making magic videos. Either it is very heart warming to see someone that with hard work as made up a great routine wich flows perfectly, or it's again a sort of video with super flashy editting with poor content.

These videos... We see them everywhere, they are like a mass attack against magicians ideals and ethics. I see hand raise in the audience '' exposers! exposers! ''. This is tottaly in other forms of ideas, what im talking about are video with super utterlly unique utra mega packed of editted effects and whatever else you may find. With over thousand of small video clips in a two minute long video featuring 900 color changes and the usual XCM or Buck twin stuff.

Great, you can actually get sleights down and present it to us. BUT WE ARE BORED OF THESE VIDEOS! Please stop sending them in! Until you have something very unique to share with us dont make these kind of videos! What do you expect, to come on stage with a deck of card, put rock music, Do some cuts then a color change, and then hide your deck for a moment because you got to make a set-up for the next color change, dont expect gasp from your audience but either laugher at what the heck this guy is doing.

This is my personal tought, even thought you may like it its your buisness, but we live in a free contry and I'm expressing my tought. What you should send it is :
- Your routines
- Your performance live
- Your effects
- Performance of effects that you learned somewhere
- Famous or unfamous magician video that are not yours.
- Funny magic related videos ( ex: Glen E vs penguin. )

Anyway, If it never happened to you, but, making up a nice trick or a routine and putting it on penguin and getting positive feedback is really heartwarming. But dont expect those kind of positive comments with those kind of videos.

Enough said
~blizt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:02 pm 
born to perform.

Location: President of the davidcon fan club. (Always welcoming new members)
I agree. I stopped looking at most of the vids on the Penguin Theater mostly because they were what you described, and I was tired of putting the same advice.

"Your erdnase needs work... you should add better patter.... you should get a better camera..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:11 pm 
born to perform.

Location: President of the davidcon fan club. (Always welcoming new members)
I agree. I stopped looking at most of the vids on the Penguin Theater mostly because they were what you described, and I was tired of putting the same advice.

"Your erdnase needs work... you should add better patter.... you should get a better camera..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:49 am 
born to perform.

I think they were slightly entertaining when this penguin theatre came in 2004 because its all we had seen here.

What i would like to see are live videos, as in, with an audience, videos where 10 year olds dont copy patter from other magicians, and actual routines, not a few sleights.

We have seen colour monte here 1,000,000 times, we dont want to see any more, if it was live it would be different, but seeing it in someones bedroom is boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:23 am 
Emperor Penguin

In an ideal world, all videos would be done in front of live audiences. However, we don't live in a perfect world, and performing for live audiences isn't always possible. But performing for an audience over the internet is, even though it causes some problems.

Yes, many videos that come up are videos that are set to music. There is a very good reason to this. Talking to a camera is very awkward. You don't get the byplay you would with a real person. Also, many people here don't want to reveal their complete routines (including patter) as there are people who would steal it. So they use generic patter, or set the video to music.

For many people here though, they simply want feedback on what was good, and what wasn't. That's why I personally posted the videos that I did. I wanted to know where I could improve. I wanted to improve the technical side of my magic. As for the performance side, I've got that covered, and found no reason to have that critique.

If you really do dislike the videos so much though, then stop watching them. It's quite simple. I don't watch that many videos on here, but every once in awhile I will. Sometimes there are some real gems out there. Other times, people simply need a little advice to help them improve. And why not give it to them if you see it? It helps them in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:36 pm 
born to perform.

I watch one video every few months at most.