View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:07 am 
Penguin

Quote:

Oh, so you're under the impression that restaurants and walkaround are about amazement. I see. Well, that's your problem right there.

Your job in such venues isn't to "amaze" it's to entertain. That's why I've never liked "Mr. Serious Mentalism" for restaurants - it's fun to do, but not to watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like I said, people will think I'm an amateur.

Whatever.

It actually IS both fun and entertaining to watch. People watch it all the time. i.e. Mindfreak. When people hire a magi, they expect amazement. Not cheesy tricks.

You don't see magicians on t.v performing your old cut and restored or linking rings much these days, do you?

I think that times are changing, and magic should too.

Oh, and personally, I don't dig mentalism anyway.

On the note of entertainment,

Why not have a freaking amazing trick, rather than an old, out-of-date one? Old timers think its cool or something to make a boring trick entertaining. Whatever floats their boat.

But why not make an already amazing trick even more entertaining that it already is?

It really your choice.

I ranted. but who gives?

But yeah,

I'm just looking for suggestions for AMAZING tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:13 am 
Penguin

mmroczka wrote:
Hey Austin it's Mike from HSC I saw your post and thought I'd say hi...

Onto what you are looking for...hmm....I own all three Sander Shows (vol. 1-3), if you'd like to borrow them, you are welcome to. I agree with the above guy, and that gobsmack pack, double bill switch, and dollar to marker are definitly worth your time...I also found this (watch the demo):

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=9664

And I thought it might have the wow factor you are looking for... Hope this helps, call me on the Sanders stuff...

Your Magic Bro,

-Trix

Yo balla.

Marc was talking about a jam session. im all earz. he told me he'd call. but yeah.

I didnt know that was you. I saw some other of your posts. haha

I'll give u a call tomorrow. k?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:35 am 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
Sounds tight, I'll give you details on the jam time, we are gonna put it on film you should see some of the stuff we've been coming up with. :lol: I've got this one cut that even Marc deemed as a true "buck cut". :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:43 am 
Penguin

mmroczka wrote:
Sounds tight, I'll give you details on the jam time, we are gonna put it on film you should see some of the stuff we've been coming up with. :lol: I've got this one cut that even Marc deemed as a true "buck cut". :lol:

Sounds delicious. Keep me posted. HA

get it? POSTED?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:28 pm 
Penguin

You have the wierdest sense of humor :roll:

My jokes are better then yours. They are like frosted flakes.......THEY'RE GREAT!

:lol: lol that was incredibly lame :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:15 am 
born to perform.

AustinWaldo wrote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like I said, people will think I'm an amateur.

Whatever.

It actually IS both fun and entertaining to watch. People watch it all the time. i.e. Mindfreak. When people hire a magi, they expect amazement. Not cheesy tricks.

You don't see magicians on t.v performing your old cut and restored or linking rings much these days, do you?

I think that times are changing, and magic should too.

Oh, and personally, I don't dig mentalism anyway.

On the note of entertainment,

Why not have a freaking amazing trick, rather than an old, out-of-date one? Old timers think its cool or something to make a boring trick entertaining. Whatever floats their boat.

But why not make an already amazing trick even more entertaining that it already is?

It really your choice.

I ranted. but who gives?

But yeah,

I'm just looking for suggestions for AMAZING tricks.

Ok little boy,

1: Lose the thug act or you can pretty much kiss a career in magic goodbye.
2: Trying to act like Criss Angel will definitely make people think your an amateur. Developing your own style and acting like a professional will make people think you're a professional entertainer - trying to mimic a hopelessly cheasy TV magician will make you look like a (as you might say) "poser".
3: Try pulling crap like when you audition for the job, you'll save the owner alot of time by letting him kick you out early.

To your "You don't see magicians on t.v performing your old cut and restored or linking rings much these days, do you?"

No, and I see alot of people who are sick and tired of watching magic on TV. "Mr. Serious Mentalism" isn't entertaining: Case in point "Phenomenon". The crappy ratings are all the proof I need.
Secondly, It's true that you don't see those effects on TV, but you do see them in the acts of nearly every successful working professional.

Have a look at the top guys in the restaurant magic field. . . see any "mindfreaks"? I rest my case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:31 am 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:
Bank Night is just a good trick no matter how you slice it. I use it in every type of venue (excluding kid's magic).

I don't do kid shows, but I was thinking about doing a Bank Night style effect for kids using envelopes with cartoon characters on them and using something other than money as the prize, but give them all a present at the end like Osterlind does. I haven't put much thought into it, but you may get something out of it.

Now that IS interesting. . .

Spoungebob - Patrick - Mr. Krabs - Squidward
Some Spoungebob candies for prizes

It's worth playing with, thanks X.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:27 pm 
Penguin

dbaker_creator wrote:
exodus wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:
Bank Night is just a good trick no matter how you slice it. I use it in every type of venue (excluding kid's magic).

I don't do kid shows, but I was thinking about doing a Bank Night style effect for kids using envelopes with cartoon characters on them and using something other than money as the prize, but give them all a present at the end like Osterlind does. I haven't put much thought into it, but you may get something out of it.

ahahah

Little boy, you can't spell. its SPONGEBOB. You fool.

And I guess you can't read either.

I don't want to act or be like Angel, I just would like the "wow factor" of his tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:30 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
No, and I see a lot of people who are sick and tired of watching magic on TV. "Mr. Serious Mentalism" isn't entertaining: Case in point "Phenomenon". The crappy ratings are all the proof I need.
Secondly, It's true that you don't see those effects on TV, but you do see them in the acts of nearly every successful working professional.

Have a look at the top guys in the restaurant magic field. . . see any "mindfreaks"? I rest my case.

Why do people watch it? Why do t.v. stations still pay the performers?

People still do watch it. and they love it. If they didn't, then why would they still be on? PEOPLE LOVE THAT KIND OF MAGIC.

Magic is suppose to be amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:38 pm 

I think what dbaker_creator is trying to get across to you is there's a HUGE difference between TV magic and "REAL, IN PERSON" magic. One is designed for passive observers who stare unblinking at a glowing screen. The other interacts with them on a personal level and requires a different set of tools to entertain them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:01 pm 
born to perform.

AustinWaldo wrote:
Quote:
No, and I see a lot of people who are sick and tired of watching magic on TV. "Mr. Serious Mentalism" isn't entertaining: Case in point "Phenomenon". The crappy ratings are all the proof I need.

People still do watch it. and they love it. If they didn't, then why would they still be on? PEOPLE LOVE THAT KIND OF MAGIC.

Magic is suppose to be amazing

Magicians want amazing.
Spectators want entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:14 pm 
born to perform.

AustinWaldo wrote:
Quote:

I disagree with you here. The thing is, frankly, Magic close up without the burning unblinking camera is easier and can be more devastating. Why? Because with good presentation you have your old friend misdirection on your side. With any skill you can do what Blaine/Angel do but better and without all the setup and retakes.

I agree with you that people react when you see it on TV. Because that's what the editor shows you. The things they don't show you is what is important. The time it takes to setup, how many times people don't react. There are plenty of magicians who do devastating work that have never performed for TV.

Criss Angel works for a basic cable channel to btw. I respect what he does and what he has done for the art. I even like his show. But guess what? He had to start somewhere too. I bet that he got his chops performing old-timer tricks like cups and balls and the linking rings. And if you want to be just like him don't ask other people for effects and performance ideas for closers invent your own way of doing things and presenting them because that's what Criss Angel does. He doesn't go online with a bunch of rude teenagers (and by rude teenagers I mean you) and ask for devasting closers. He creates his own (presentations I mean).

For my closer I want to encourage you to be just like Criss Angel and go out and create your own closers, work hard, become successful and remember who you stepped on and were nasty to when you started. Don't forget to ignore good advice along the way and ignore the classics that will teach you the skills that you will need to create great presentations and effects later. Oh and don't do things like spirit slates (old) Invisible deck (old) Card through window (old). Don't perform a torn and restored card or an impossible card location or pick a card find a card, or a collectors plot, or a magician in trouble plot, or a salt pour, or a torn and restored sugar packet, or a 3 fly routine, or a coins through table, or anything with sponge, because all that stuff is old too. Essentially what I would do If I were you is walk to the table and float away every time. Clearly, that's what people want to see. They don't want to forget why their food is late, they don't want to laugh and be entertained. They want to be impressed with your skill as a magician so they can go home order magic from a website and live in a pipe dream of perfect magic so they can argue with a bunch of people they don't know who clearly aren't any good (I hope everyone picked up on my sarcasm, I tried to lay it on pretty thick).

Look just go out and have fun. This isn't about fooling anyone. The magic of magic is making something memorable. It isn't memorable if a person walks away from a table saying "He did something. I don't know what he did to bend those coins but he did something". You want them to say " I want to see that guy again he was really good. I don't remember waiting for the table [or meal]."

Austin feel free to call me whatever you want. Chances are you've already made up your mind anyway. Wether you take anything away from this thread or not I wish you good luck and I hope that one day you can stand up and say those guys were wrong.

To Caffeinator,
I recognize that I am contradicting some advice I gave in some other posts but for me there is a difference between a person who wants to perform magic and doesn't where to start or may have that sense of being overwhelmed versus asking for advice and help and not listening at all.

Moderators,
I apologize for resorting to calling the young man rude.

Thanks all for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:59 pm 
Penguin

Double post.

Sorry,

-Trix

Last edited by mmroczka on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:11 pm 
Penguin

Umm....you probably shouldn't have called him little boy. How do you even know his age? I don't want to start a debate here, but how would you feel if someone called you a little boy?

And he wasn't trying to act like chris angel, he wanted to have the same type of reactions as him. Now I know that the unspoken rule is that "any trick" can have that wow factor. But how many people have you got to swear and run away from you by doing the linking rings?....even if you completely dramatize it, it is still a ....normal miracle, for lack of better words. Everyone is impressed, but not in the same way. It's just like if you could visually cut yourself in half(lazer illusion) then you'd be more drawn to that than the older methods...

Oh, and just for the record, he didn't say he didn't want to perform old tricks, he said he was looking for something new.

Btw, "I'm sorry" when used correctly, pretty much means "If I could take it back, I would". You are in no way sorry for what you did. Apologizing doesn't mean anything unless you mean it, and judging by how "thick" you laid it on, I can see you are in no way sorry. Lying won't get you anywhere...

Austin, I recommend just dropping it. I agree with you, but there are people here that consider it a federal offense to want to be as "good" as chris angel, or as smooth a talker as blaine :roll:, or even as talented as Cryil. Just drop it. It doesn't matter that much... And you never called me...

-Trix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:18 pm 
born to perform.

AustinWaldo wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:
exodus wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:

ahahah

Little boy, you can't spell. its SPONGEBOB. You fool.

And I guess you can't read either.

I don't want to act or be like Angel, I just would like the "wow factor" of his tricks.

Okay, last post on this because . . . well, frankly you're an idiot and this isn't going anywhere.

Spongebob comment:
Look over your posts. . . do you really want to make this a grammer contest? ? ? I thought not.

As to Angel's "wow factor", I again point out that such effects aren't entertaining. A wise magician once said, "If all you want to do is shock people, just walk up and set a pale full of blood with a goat head in it on their table. It'll get the same reaction."

Quote:
They don't you idiot! The whole point of Phenomenon having trash ratings kinda' flew by you didn't it.

People love that kind of magic "ON TV".

I really need to ask, have you ever performed for a living human?

An amateur's mistake. Magic is suppose to be entertaining first, amazing second.

mmroczka wrote:

Umm....you probably shouldn't have called him little boy. How do you even know his age? I don't want to start a debate here, but how would you feel if someone called you a little boy?

Judging from the image used as his avatar, his attempts at acting like a "thug", his obcession with "the wow factor", and his udder stupidity. . . I pegged him at 14-16. In experience, age, and intelligence - that makes him a "little boy". I just call 'em as I see 'em.

And he wasn't trying to act like chris angel, he wanted to have the same type of reactions as him. Now I know that the unspoken rule is that "any trick" can have that wow factor. But how many people have you got to swear and run away from you by doing the linking rings?....even if you completely dramatize it, it is still a ....normal miracle, for lack of better words. Everyone is impressed, but not in the same way. It's just like if you could visually cut yourself in half(lazer illusion) then you'd be more drawn to that than the older methods...

Really? People usually laugh and clap when I do the linking rings. Comparing the two effects (since I have versions of both), the linking rings has ALWAYS gotten a better response from the audience.

Austin, I recommend just dropping it. I agree with you, but there are people here that consider it a federal offense to want to be as "good" as chris angel, or as smooth a talker as blaine , or even as talented as Cryil. Just drop it. It doesn't matter that much... And you never called me...

-Trix
"as good as angel"? That's a bit of a paradox isn't it?
"as smooth a talker as blaine"? Look. . . here. . . watch. . . I don't think "smooth" is the right phrase.
"or even as talented as Cyril" . . . Feel free to give that a try. Cyril is a very talented magician, and trying to have his skills is a worthwhile goal.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next