View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Balloon swallowing for children?
Yes 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
No 81%  81%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:47 pm 
born to perform.

I support younger magicians. I don't support people who don't listen to advice of this kind.

Let's say you show this effect with any presentation you choose. and it goes over really well. A week later someone that attended the show calls you because they caught their child attempting a balloon swallow. Kids are impressionable; especially kids to teens as there is more to identify as opposed to an old guy like me. It is your responsibility as a role model to not put kids in that kind of a situation. It is also your responsibility as a magician to not give magicians a bad name by doing tricks that could be harmful.

I'll be honest chances are in your favor that nothing will happen. But those are only chances. Is it worth the risk? I don't think so. Besides there are dozens of other tricks that are better than a balloon swallow anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:28 pm 
Penguin

Adammcd wrote:
I support younger magicians. I don't support people who don't listen to advice of this kind.

Let's say you show this effect with any presentation you choose. and it goes over really well. A week later someone that attended the show calls you because they caught their child attempting a balloon swallow. Kids are impressionable; especially kids to teens as there is more to identify as opposed to an old guy like me. It is your responsibility as a role model to not put kids in that kind of a situation. It is also your responsibility as a magician to not give magicians a bad name by doing tricks that could be harmful.

I'll be honest chances are in your favor that nothing will happen. But those are only chances. Is it worth the risk? I don't think so. Besides there are dozens of other tricks that are better than a balloon swallow anyway.

ok I completly understand now.
Thanks for the advise. Others were quite mean to me and dint offer hardly any advice. your advise is the best i have recived. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:56 am 
born to perform.

mikeoo92 wrote:
hazerman15 wrote:
mikeoo92 wrote:
i think it would pop befor thay got it down there little throats!
Thats all i needed to read.

Did you not realize I was being sarcastic?
I know it would not be a good thing to let kids swallow a balloon.
thats why I said my idea above....
:?

Sarcasm is a complex English Language literary device.
Try using proper English before using sarcasm. Your idea above would still compel kids to swallow balloons. Lets just do us all a favor and leave it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:21 am 
Emperor Penguin

mikeoo- There was a lot of good advice given, you just didn't see it. People here weren't being mean. They were simply explaining why your opinion was incorrect. You're entitled to your opinion, and feel free to voice it; however, there are many professionals here who simply know more than you, and will correct your opinions, when the need arises. It's not because they are mean, or think they are better then you. It's because they want the best advice given. They want people to succeed, and perform responsibly. So they must correct people when they state something that is wrong. In this instance, your opinion about swallowing balloons at a kids show was simply wrong, and irresponsible. I believe you now see why, as you've stated that much.

Balloon swallowing should only be done for adult shows. It's an effect I perform quite often, but never for children, as it is irresponsible. Even if you tell them the secret, you still run a chance of some kid trying to swallow a balloon, and then dying. Which then comes to rest on you. For one, you're partly responsible for the death of a child. Two, you're reputation goes out the window, and it will kill your career very quickly.

Magicians have to be responsible, and choose age appropriate effects. We have to keep the audience in mind. Personally, I suggest psychology classes for anyone serious about entertainment. Or at least some classes that will help you in that aspect.

Post subject: "
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:07 am 
born to perform.

Mikeoo92,
The very same advice given to you by adammcd was given to you by several others that apparently you overlooked. To do Kid shows for one you should always carry entertainer's insurance which I bet that you don't.
I can tell by your posts that you are not a kid show performer despite your claims that you have 'experience' with kids. If people like you would just relax and take the time and money to purchase DVD's and reading material on doing kid shows all your questions and more would be answered and we wouldn't have to be "mean" to you. Quit buying -tricks- until you learn what to do with them.
If you even had to ask such a question about swallowing balloons in front of kids I'd say you are NOT mature enough to even attempt doing kid shows.
Do street magic instead, so our profession isn't tarnished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:22 am 
Penguin

Ok I understand and know that swallowing balloons for a kid show is not a good thing to do.
And i was not the one who posted this topic.
And yes i did buy some dvd's on different kinds of magic.
And yes i do have experience with kids. Just because I thought that it might have been ok to swallow a balloon for a kid show, but I realize It is not ok to swallow a balloon for a kid show
And I do understand that I am not a professional and i under stand that most people are. I would just like to someday be a professional also.
That is why i ask your guys advice.

Ok this topic was firstly a question someone had, and now its just a big long thing of nothing that dint need to happen.

I am sorry if I have caused anything wrong or anything like that.
I still would like to perform magic. Everyone makes mistakes. I am sure you all have made a few mistakes in magic also.

So is everything good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:47 am 
born to perform.

As long as you are understanding whar we are saying.

Can i ask again, as this is the most important thing in todays world whatever you do, do you have liability insurance? Also, what experience do you have with kids so far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:06 pm 
Penguin

My mom has liability insurance.
and my mom will be making a small but legal contract saying if anything happens but most likely wont we are not liable in anyway.

Also the experince i have with kids.
is little birthdays.
and my signature finisher is the super chair (witch me and my dad made)
and realy visual tricks like.

If thats what you were asking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:04 pm 

mikeoo92 wrote:
and my mom will be making a small but legal contract saying if anything happens but most likely wont we are not liable in anyway.

is little birthdays.

Her liability insurance does not cover entertainers. it is personal liability and auto liability. The policy you need can be purchased trhy IBM or SAM, or Performers of the U.S. Google to find the sites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:11 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
mikeoo92 wrote:

is little birthdays.

Her liability insurance does not cover entertainers. it is personal liability and auto liability. The policy you need can be purchased trhy IBM or SAM, or Performers of the U.S. Google to find the sites.

ok thank you!
me and my mom are looking into it.
and I postponed my show for another 4 months (only the principle and the library teacher new about it so no one will get disappointed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:14 pm 
born to perform.

mikeoo92 wrote:

is little birthdays.

Your Mom having insurance in no way covers you. This is a separate policy that only covers what 'you' do. You can come up with any cheap way that you want but any paper you write doesn't make it binding. If before I go over and smash someone over the head with a hammer, I write up a waiver not making me liable for any injuries...how legally responsible do you think that I will be?
There's a right way and a wrong way of doing something, taking short cuts will only shorten your career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:23 pm 
Penguin

sluggo wrote:
mikeoo92 wrote:

is little birthdays.

Your Mom having insurance in no way covers you. This is a separate policy that only covers what 'you' do. You can come up with any cheap way that you want but any paper you write doesn't make it binding. If before I go over and smash someone over the head with a hammer, I write up a waiver not making me liable for any injuries...how legally responsible do you think that I will be?
There's a right way and a wrong way of doing something, taking short cuts will only shorten your career.

Thats why I said me and my mom are looking into entertainers insurance...
i posted that above.
and talking about the balloon i relize i have to be very vry very careful on the tricks i choose.
meaning. I am not going to hit someone in the head with a hammer.
nor am I going to swallow a balloon...
I am getting Performers insurance before the show. And I postponed the show another 4 months.
how bout anything positive? instead of always looking at what could negatively happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:58 pm 
born to perform.

People make contract to try and claim money if it isnt paid, a contract saying you are not liable means **** all in a court of law. You will be sued and sued big time. To the extent where you may lose your house and your parents lose their jobs and are declared bankrupt.

I didnt understand what experience you had with kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:07 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Quote:
how bout anything positive? instead of always looking at what could negatively happen.

You have to look for the negative, the "what could happen." If you dont, it will bite you. Something you will learn once you get older.

Take Escape Artists for an example. We have to look at the negatives; the "what could happen." If we dont, we could be injured or even die.

Its reality, you have to face it.

You have a lot of work to do and a lot of research to complete. You seem no where near ready for a kids show.
Looking into insurance, effects, presentation, and kids shows in general.

Also your experience with kids, from what you said... is lacking.

And please, work on your writing, its getting harder and harder to read your posts. I am about to give up, and I would bet others are too.
We shouldnt have to read your posts over and over to figure it out. If I were to guess your age based on your writing- I would say younger than 12. Spell check isnt that hard to use, heck I hear google even supplies one in your tool bar if you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:01 pm 
Penguin

Ok, I feel like I am repeating myself.
I know I should do more research and stuff.
And I do have experience with kids.
The balloon thing is one thing that I was wrong on. OK fine.

Also when you said it will bite you I could not stop laughing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next