View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: WHERE DO I START....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:12 pm 
Penguin

:?
Hey guys I am new to escapology and i was wondering were you guys think is the best place to get started

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:26 pm 
Emperor Penguin

The best place to get started is to think about why you want to do escapology. Are you ready to put yourself in danger? Are you ready to dedicate the time into learning the art?

Dixie Dooley has a set on the subject that I believe is good for a beginner to get a general idea. It is not the best source in all, but for a basic foundation, it's alright. Just so you have an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Cannon's Great Escapes is a great site (just google it) for escapology. It has a lot of informational sources that you can purchase, as well as the tools of the trade. Be warned though, it's an expensive art form. Both in time and money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:42 pm 
Penguin

:( I was hoping that dixie dooleys set would of been good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:49 pm 
born to perform.

Thomas Medina and Royal Magic put a rope magic DVD together. The stuff in it is very simple but good. I would look at this dvd as it is affordable and look at the escapes and decide if this kind of work is for you. Amazing Magic Tricks with Rope. It's like $15. There are 2-3 escapes in there. They teach you some basic ties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:48 pm 
Penguin

thanks for your help guys but i know that i want to do escapes i spent a month thinking about it so yes i do want to do escapes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:56 pm 
Emperor Penguin

blackghost101 wrote:
:( I was hoping that dixie dooleys set would of been good

He said it was good for a foundation. Every starting point needs a foundation. Its a good dvd set for what it has to offer.

But also check out Cannons, probably the best site for escape equipment. And besides that, Mark is just a cool guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:51 am 
Penguin

:cry: The way you guys speak about dixie dooley sounds to me like it dosent teach very much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:29 am 
Emperor Penguin

He teaches a lot. However, he isn't as thorough as could be. He covers a lot of information, which is why it's a good place to build a foundation (in my opinion). This way, you get a look at many different types of escapes, which will allow you to pick what you exactly want. Also, it will teach you some simple escapes, that you can start right away, while you build your knowledge on the subject.

Most likely, you'll start with rope escapes though. I say this simply because they are the cheapest to do. All you need is a rope. But you do have to realize that escapology is an expensive art.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:10 pm 
Emperor Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
He teaches a lot. However, he isn't as thorough as could be. He covers a lot of information, which is why it's a good place to build a foundation (in my opinion). This way, you get a look at many different types of escapes, which will allow you to pick what you exactly want. Also, it will teach you some simple escapes, that you can start right away, while you build your knowledge on the subject.

Most likely, you'll start with rope escapes though. I say this simply because they are the cheapest to do. All you need is a rope. But you do have to realize that escapology is an expensive art.

Thats where I would say to start. Ropes!

I believe I posted a review on the first 2 dvds from Dixie. Might want to look for those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:46 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for everything guys :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:06 pm 
born to perform.

Cannon sells an excellent book on rope and chain escapes, written long ago by one of the best:

33 Rope Ties and Chain Releases by Burling Hull

With that one book you have an excellent beginning.
Best of luck.
-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:53 pm 
Penguin

:o Hey guys I just got my order and on the weekend i will watch it.