View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:09 pm 
Penguin

Woah many of you guys are sounding like busking is like doing a job for the mafia. I'll go up to people on the streets randomly and be a nag, but i don't preform for money. Maybe eventually in my magic career. Hmm maybe I'l eventually find a use for my years of martial arts :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:17 pm 
born to perform.

Highschool age is a nice start. so I'd say 15 and up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:27 pm 
Penguin

yeh if your in city areas i suggest carrying a defensive tool such as pepper spray, that axe thing (burns), knife.

Be careful when preforming, drunks generally give more money, however they can get aggressive so try and stay away.

Being young i suggest going to the movies, areas by resturantes like fridays, beaches/boardwalks, generally alot of people there, its somewhat family friendly so noone will try and start something with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:34 pm 
Emperor Penguin

nickyd8 wrote:
yeh if your in city areas i suggest carrying a defensive tool such as pepper spray, that axe thing (burns), knife.

Be careful when preforming, drunks generally give more money, however they can get aggressive so try and stay away.

Being young i suggest going to the movies, areas by resturantes like fridays, beaches/boardwalks, generally alot of people there, its somewhat family friendly so noone will try and start something with you.

Ya thats real bright. Advise an kid to carry a knife. That can turn bad real quick. :roll: Common sense child. Not to mention laws.
If you havent actually done it, dont give advice. Your advice in general is off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:45 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
Woah many of you guys are sounding like busking is like doing a job for the mafia. I'll go up to people on the streets randomly and be a nag, but i don't preform for money. Maybe eventually in my magic career. Hmm maybe I'l eventually find a use for my years of martial arts Wink

You are referring to "Blaining" not busking. They are very different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:26 pm 
Penguin

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
nickyd8 wrote:

Ya thats real bright. Advise an kid to carry a knife. That can turn bad real quick. :roll: Common sense child. Not to mention laws.
If you havent actually done it, dont give advice. Your advice in general is off.

i meant defensive mechanism...knife was first thing to come to mind..I actually read somewhere having one on you is a good idea, (if someone is trying to stab, shoot and kill you...what would you do???stand there and take it? that will end you being dead or wounded badley...
-David i know what you mean though, i posted my last post a little "discouraging and violent?? (are those the words)... But yeh im not advising to carry them just to carry them, but if your alone preforming in random locations where drunks, violence occurs..then would it be a bad idea to carry a defensive weapon??? (i dont know anymore, you tell me so mind answering this question..(not to sound like a brat but im dead serious if you disagree with me then explain why, because you have more experience then me...be nice to hear professional input)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:56 pm 

"Defensive weapons" unless you seriously intend to use them to their fullest potential, frequently are turned against the defender and turns into an "Offensive weapon" being used on you.

There are better ways to deal with conflicts, carrying weapons is one of the least desirable (and sometimes least effective) alternatives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:14 pm 
Emperor Penguin

nickyd8 wrote:
DavidTheCryptic wrote:
nickyd8 wrote:

i meant defensive mechanism...knife was first thing to come to mind..I actually read somewhere having one on you is a good idea, (if someone is trying to stab, shoot and kill you...what would you do???stand there and take it? that will end you being dead or wounded badley...
-David i know what you mean though, i posted my last post a little "discouraging and violent?? (are those the words)... But yeh im not advising to carry them just to carry them, but if your alone preforming in random locations where drunks, violence occurs..then would it be a bad idea to carry a defensive weapon??? (i dont know anymore, you tell me so mind answering this question..(not to sound like a brat but im dead serious if you disagree with me then explain why, because you have more experience then me...be nice to hear professional input)

For one, I highly doubt you or really any one else here is trained in defense with a knife or gun. Its not a toy. ITs not always going to work, and as Dave pointed out... used wrong it can easily be used against you.
I have seen it happen.

I have taken a Tactical Knife fighting class and I am trained with a fire-arm; Plus I am legal to carry either. So I know what can happen, and what not.

Just to carry a gun, you have to take at least 2 tests.

Second, as I previously said... there are LAWS.

Based on your age, I highly doubt you have any REAL world experince... so dont try to give advice. IT will get people hurt.

Why would you be performing in random locations that you feel arent safe? I dont know any performer that does that... so its an unvailid point.
But yes, for a kid or inexperience person, it would be stupid to carry a weapon in plans to use.

Danger can arise any where any time. So should you carry a weapon every where and at every time?

Fighting back is usually one of the worst things to do.

The best thing to do is:

Perform in places that are considered "safe." Not some back alley or a board walk that has robberies every week. Common sense.
If trouble arises, get away- walk, run... avoid it if at all possible.
Call the police or find help.

Taking a weapon of your own, is to be ones last resort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:39 pm 
Penguin

well my whole point was "better be safe then sorry".... But i guess if everyone listins to your "stay in safe areas advice" then theres no need for that. But i was never suggesting to use any type of defense weapons unless a emergency occured. However you did say "Based on your age, I highly doubt you have any REAL world experince... so dont try to give advice. IT will get people hurt." see i disagree with that, number one i did preform to people here and there at movies, ect. so i was in a safe area, however if i was in say a area that isnt considered "the safest" (which i wouldnt do unless i was over 20 years old) i definetly would consider using someone defensive (which can mean something as harmless yet effective as pepperspray ) But dave I AM NOT PROMOTING ANYTHING, just want to make that clear, but i did hear stories of magicians getting hurt badley (take alook around this forum), and they also suggested carrying around a defensive weapon (i didnt make up this info of you should bring a knife, ect. im simply passing on info that i (and many others) thought was good and safe advice...

-But yes as a whole i agree to what your saying, im just trying to say that rare yet harmful freak attacks occur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:25 pm 
born to perform.

taser wrote:
im 14 and am starting to show people in the streets
i made my friends laugh today by doing recap and quicksilver from the on the spot dvd

I am pretty sure the topic is concerning busking, not what you are referring to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:42 pm 
Emperor Penguin

nickyd8 wrote:
well my whole point was "better be safe then sorry".... But i guess if everyone listins to your "stay in safe areas advice" then theres no need for that. But i was never suggesting to use any type of defense weapons unless a emergency occured. However you did say "Based on your age, I highly doubt you have any REAL world experince... so dont try to give advice. IT will get people hurt." see i disagree with that, number one i did preform to people here and there at movies, ect. so i was in a safe area, however if i was in say a area that isnt considered "the safest" (which i wouldnt do unless i was over 20 years old) i definetly would consider using someone defensive (which can mean something as harmless yet effective as pepperspray ) But dave I AM NOT PROMOTING ANYTHING, just want to make that clear,

Quote:
But yeh im not advising to carry them just to carry them

Quote:

Your not promoting anything? Your posts say other wise.

Your "performing" at the movies and "here and there" isnt exactly what I would call REAL world experience. Thats just a kid hanging out (probably with friends or close piers), showing off. And performing at a theater has nothing to do with this subject. So you can disagree all you want, but thats your mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:08 pm 
Penguin

adjones wrote:
fspigeon wrote:
amcworth wrote:
jfox1111 wrote:
Im 13 and i did it to one person so far on the street. My school likes my magic. they call me magic man.
every body here probly had that nick name in school

I didn't. I was "The guy that can tie his shoelaces".

Funny story, last night I was talking to someone that I had never met before (until last night, of course), and we got on the subject of me doing magic, and he goes, "Hey, you're the kid who can tie his shoelaces without touching them!" I was pretty impressed with how something like that can spread... considering I had never even seen, nonetheless perform magic for the guy.

Exact same thing happend to me a few days ago :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:13 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Happened again. I was just at the YMCA waiting for tennis practice to start, and I was in the basketball gym, and a guy walked up to me and told him I had to teach him how to tie his shoes w/o touching them. Strange how even months after the last time you performed an effect you can still have a reputation for it... to people you don't even know!