View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:47 pm 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
I'm 16 (month to 17), but you are the ones that give us this stereotype, I find most people on here and helpfull and fine. Only thing I can critisize on here is that alot of people do say "your probley some 15 year old kid", that annoys me for the fact that it's discriminating and saying alot of 15 years olds are idiots.

But only a couple people on here use that phrase.. so its all good.

Pauldela

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:01 pm 
born to perform.

Pauldela wrote:
Only thing I can critisize on here is that alot of people do say "your probley some 15 year old kid", that annoys me for the fact that it's discriminating and saying alot of 15 years olds are idiots.

Not really. That's how you choose to interpret it, for your own reasons. What it really says is that "alot of 15 year olds" don't know much about entertaining people with magic, which happens to be true.

That's one of the reasons why I get a huge laugh out of most of the kids here who call themselves "intermediate" or "advanced" magicians based solely on the technical knowledge they (think they) possess and the number of DVDs they've watched. Technical skill is not a very good measuring stick on its own; so what if you can do an "invisible" top-card cover pass or a technically flawless "Travellers" routine. If you can't entertain people with it... or can't make people care about it... you're just a move-monkey doing nothing but amusing yourself.

Don't lose sight of the fact that the people who "give" you that stereotype are the ones who fit that stereotype -- and there are many, many, many of them out there. If you want to break the stereotype, then do everything in your power to not fit into it... and to encourage others to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:42 pm 

Pauldela wrote:
... Only thing I can critisize on here is that alot of people do say "your probley some 15 year old kid", that annoys me for the fact that it's discriminating and saying alot of 15 years olds are idiots.

But only a couple people on here use that phrase.. so its all good.

Pauldela

Pauldela, the ONLY way we can judge someone is by your posts. I find that most kids that think they know it all and are ready to go make their fortunes on the street, are idiots. They scream out their idiocy by their writing. When someone is too lazy to run a spell check how can they even THINK of being an entertainer that has to put in hours of practice, preparation, and rehearsals. The standard rehearsal (only) time is one hour for every minute of performance. This does not include the prep and practice time.

What I am trying to get across to you is that most times our stereotype is true. Those that show they don't fit that image get a LOT of help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:33 pm 
Penguin

I'm 15, and I have to agree with what these guys are saying. I have only been practicing magic for a few months so I am still pretty much a complete beginner. I havn't posted very much on these forums because for the past week or two I have just been reading all the advice that's already posted. I must say that i completely agree with the stereotype, even though it's about people my age, just thought i would add that,

Ben