View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Double Lifts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:26 pm 
Penguin

Even if I execute a DL perfectly, sometimes I get a heckler who will say, "You're just holding two cards" or they will point it out to others.

What can I do to prevent this and/or make them seem incorrect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:31 pm 
Penguin

It's not perfect if you're getting caught.

Watch your angles, what kind of DL are you doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:16 pm 
Penguin

Terrk wrote:

I didn't know there are names; I do the one where you have a break under two and flip the card over by the bottom corner.

They are perfect most times when I get caught because all of the other spectators are amazed until the heckler ruins it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:33 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Learn how to do the KM move. You will be able to end clean with only 1 card in your hand after you turn them over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:17 pm 
Penguin

Where can I find this KM move?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:24 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Check ouot Daryl's Encyclopedia of card sleights dvd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:39 pm 
Penguin

magikrn wrote:
Learn how to do the KM move. You will be able to end clean with only 1 card in your hand after you turn them over.
Is it possible to maybe see a performance of this "KM move"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:27 am 
born to perform.

You know, due to YouTube and the exposure that goes on there, MANY people who are not magicians know about the DL.

Often times, hecklers have said that to me when I have only one card. The audience member who called you out may just have been guessing with the only sleight he had ever heard of.
Hecklers like to suggest methods, whether they are reasonable or not. The DL and TT are so well-known these days, that even if you aren't using either, somebody will say your thumbs are plastic, or you have two cards...

However, it may be equally as likely that he DID catch you, and, in that case, you should consider more practice, more misdirection, or the KM Move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:44 am 
Emperor Penguin

Teddy94 wrote:
Terrk wrote:

I didn't know there are names; I do the one where you have a break under two and flip the card over by the bottom corner.

They are perfect most times when I get caught because all of the other spectators are amazed until the heckler ruins it.

Then they arent perfect. IF perfect, a heckler wouldnt be able to tell.

I rarely ever get called out, maybe twice, and my DLs arent 100% perfect.

You need to learn some better methods maybe, practice more, learn some misdirection and crowd control.

You shouldnt rely so much on 'out-lines' and "mistakes."
Instead learn to fix your problems before performing, and learn how to save an effect with out outs or "accidents."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:42 am 
Penguin

I totally agree with david. My brother knows about the DL, and he still can't tell when I do it.

But I've just started to use the pass, and doing a lot of false cuts. I still do the DL, but I never do the same DL twice, which is a little hard to do, but it keeps the hecklers quiet.

So learn some more DL's and pratice in front of a mirror everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:13 am 
Penguin

Thanks.

I have to agree with CameronB, though.

The hecklers say I'm doing a DL even if I'm not, and some people thought I had a thumbtip when I used a Universal Pull to vanish a pencil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:35 pm 
born to perform.

Alright, couple DVDs I'd suggest to you from what you've read here.

If you want to learn the KM move, there's a DVD called Watch Magic with Oz Pearlman. It's mainly for the effects taught but there is a section itself that Oz teaches the KM move. I'd say he teaches it pretty well. But I don't know if you want to buy the whole DVD just to learn one sleight on it... Link: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=939.

If you want to learn some more DLs, Gregory Wilson's Double Take DVD has a bunch of them on it. I actually don't own it but I'm going to be ordering it very soon. Link: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=995.

Now I'm not saying that these two DVDs are the BEST sources for each, but they do teach what I explained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:30 pm 
Penguin

google521 wrote:
Alright, couple DVDs I'd suggest to you from what you've read here.

If you want to learn the KM move, there's a DVD called Watch Magic with Oz Pearlman. It's mainly for the effects taught but there is a section itself that Oz teaches the KM move. I'd say he teaches it pretty well. But I don't know if you want to buy the whole DVD just to learn one sleight on it... Link: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=939.

If you want to learn some more DLs, Gregory Wilson's Double Take DVD has a bunch of them on it. I actually don't own it but I'm going to be ordering it very soon. Link: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=995.

Now I'm not saying that these two DVDs are the BEST sources for each, but they do teach what I explained.
Thanks, I'll look into those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:15 pm 
Penguin

I use misdirection and get-readys. In the off-beat, just side jog the cards with your thumb and catch a pinkie break. It's quick to do the lift and natural looking.

Managing your audience is important, if somebody points out that you are lifting more than one card just speed along as if nobody said anything. Or play it off in another manner that you feel comfortable.

I'll give you an example. I was doing an effect where I DL and table the top card. The spectator asked if they could check the card to see if it was actually the card I had just showed them (which, obviously, it wasn't) I replied by saying 'In a moment'. When I revealed that the card wasn't the card that I had showed them, and that, that card was actually in my hands they were floored, they completely forget their suspicion. Just remember you're the magician, you make the rules and you control the flow.

It's bad if you're getting caught often. You will get caught from time to time. If you never get caught you're probably lying. And sometimes the spectator is just fishing and they get lucky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:30 pm 
Penguin

llGooberll wrote:
I use misdirection and get-readys. In the off-beat, just side jog the cards with your thumb and catch a pinkie break. It's quick to do the lift and natural looking.

Managing your audience is important, if somebody points out that you are lifting more than one card just speed along as if nobody said anything. Or play it off in another manner that you feel comfortable.

I'll give you an example. I was doing an effect where I DL and table the top card. The spectator asked if they could check the card to see if it was actually the card I had just showed them (which, obviously, it wasn't) I replied by saying 'In a moment'. When I revealed that the card wasn't the card that I had showed them, and that, that card was actually in my hands they were floored, they completely forget their suspicion. Just remember you're the magician, you make the rules and you control the flow.

It's bad if you're getting caught often. You will get caught from time to time. If you never get caught you're probably lying. And sometimes the spectator is just fishing and they get lucky.

I don't get caught often; I get caught once in a long while, but it's still frustrating.

I know what you mean about get- readies and misdirection.

I sometimes spread the cards out and say something like, "Your card could be any one of these," and close the deck with the top two cards together over a pinky break.