View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hello, you can call me...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:38 am 
Penguin

Hey everyone, I have two questions that it would be really cool to have answered!

well, I realise I am nowhere near the restuarant-performing level, and being fourteen I wouldn't be taken seriously anyway.

Nevertheless, my first question is how to introduce yourself when performing for a single table.
I honestly can't think of an introduction which doesn't make me sound like a complete tool.

My second question is what trick I should perform.

My absoloute favourite is Indecent by Wayne Houchin, but I realise it would seem a bit tacky to bring a zip-lock bag along with me.
I also feel that coin tricks wouldn't be welcome so close to food, no matter how clean the coin.

So I've been thinking of perfecting some fork-bending effects for this sort of entertainment.
What spoon/fork bending tricks do you suggest?

Thanks,

~Pingumagic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:50 am 
Emperor Penguin

Buy these sources:
* The Complete Guide to Restaurant and Walkaround Magic, by Kirk Charles
* Restaurant Workers Handbook, by Jim Pace & Jerry MacGregor
* Magic Menu: The First Five Years (in addition to any other issues you can get your hands on.), edited by Jim Sisti
* Real World Magic, by Jerry Mac Gregor
* Making A Living Performing At Restaurants & Hotels by Carl Andrews
* Video: Making A Living Performing Close-up Magic by Carl Andrews
* Video: The Strolling Magican, by Carl Andrews
* David Stone's Real Secrets of Magic
* Live at the Jailhouse
* Anything from Eugene Burger on the subject
* Anything from Paul Green on the subject

They will answer all of your questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:54 am 
Penguin

Hey, I could pay off the crippling debts with a restuarant job!

:p Im just being a jerk, but it'd be cool if somebody could give me an intro line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:48 am 
Emperor Penguin

If you want to get into restaurant magic, you're going to have to buy some sources on it. If you buy The Complete Guide to Restaurant and Walkaround Magic, you will have your answer. I suggest getting all of the sources I listed though.

Plus, you have a while to think about an introduction. It's best to start working on your routines before you even think about getting into the restaurant business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:06 pm 

Trying to break into the restaurant entertaining business without most of the things Fallingblood listed is walking into complete disaster. Before you can even think of an opening line you have to be prepared to entertain.

Rather than ask us, go see a restaurant magi perform. When you see a real pro you might realize that this is NOT easy money. You have to be a lot better than just "good."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:27 pm 
Penguin

As a professional magician, I sometimes do walk around and I can honestly say it is harder than any stage show that you do. The intimacy of the audience and the fact that you do a different routine each time is incredibly hard.

Before you even think of going into a restaurant situation make sure that you learn how to improvise because believe it or not you will need it more than you expect. Card and coin tricks work the best as they are fairly close up - dont worry too much about hygiene as your audience wont (unless you drop it into their food or something)

As for one liners, the easiest one is - "Hi, how are you." Start up a conversation with them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 pm 
Penguin

If you could only buy one resource from those mentioned, which one would it be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:27 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I personally would go with Kirk Charles guide. Mainly because it was the first one I got, and the one I got the most information from. But I would suggest getting as many sources as possible. Not necessarily all at the same time, but over time.

Post subject: Re: Hello, you can call me...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:09 pm 
born to perform.

pingumagic wrote:
Hey everyone, I have two questions that it would be really cool to have answered!

well, I realise I am nowhere near the restuarant-performing level, and being fourteen I wouldn't be taken seriously anyway.

Nevertheless, my first question is how to introduce yourself when performing for a single table.
I honestly can't think of an introduction which doesn't make me sound like a complete tool.

Introduction isn't a big issue.
"Hi there, My name is ____________. Could you grab one of these cards here?"

"Hi there, I'm ____________ and the management has hired me to perform some magic."

blah blah blah

My second question is what trick I should perform.

My absoloute favourite is Indecent by Wayne Houchin, but I realise it would seem a bit tacky to bring a zip-lock bag along with me.
I also feel that coin tricks wouldn't be welcome so close to food, no matter how clean the coin.

So I've been thinking of perfecting some fork-bending effects for this sort of entertainment.
What spoon/fork bending tricks do you suggest?

You need to add some more card effects to your repitoire (uh? spelling error I'm sure). Pretty much anything with Wayne Houchin's name attatched to it wouldn't be appropriate for a restaurant act. Coin magic is very commonly used in restaurants, as is magic with dollar bills.

Fork Bending:
That's openning Pandora's Box. If you do fork bending, you must bring your own forks since you can't bend the forks that belong to the restaurant. Look at it from the spectator's point of view: "There's a fork right here, why is he carrying them around with him? Does he have special bending forks?" Spectators will ask you to bend their forks - and "I can but I'm not allowed to" doesn't fly with those spectators.
Short answer, stay away from fork bending in restaurants.

Thanks,

~Pingumagic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:56 am 
Emperor Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
I personally would go with Kirk Charles guide. Mainly because it was the first one I got, and the one I got the most information from. But I would suggest getting as many sources as possible. Not necessarily all at the same time, but over time.

Where can this be found? I could not find it. Out of print?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:34 am 

http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel ... tem=006631

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:09 am 
Emperor Penguin

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:45 pm 
Penguin

buy, live at the jailhouse.

hands down, the best! [in my opinion]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:52 pm 
born to perform.

Also, if you can get your hands on some of the (OOP) Magical Arts Journals...published by Michael Ammar and Adam Fleischer, Charles Greene wrote lots of great advice for Restaurant workers. The MAJ issues are from August 1986 through February 1987. These are very hard to find, but worth searching out...not only is there invaluable advice in these issues, there are some great magic tricks as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:24 pm 
born to perform.

What you say in an interaction has very little to do with what is being communicated. Most of what you are communicating is done through body language. So you can go up to the table and say, "Hi my name is Penguin, I'm the house magician so would you be interested in watching magic while you wait for food?" BUT, the way you say it makes all the difference. You need to say it with confidence because it shows that you won't be hurt if they say no. Just make sure that they know YOU are having a good time and that is why you are SMILING when you go up to their table. When they know you are having a good time then they will want you to pass that energy onto them. However, the best way is to get the tables to want you to come over. This is done by making people say to themselves, "What is going on over there. Looks like fun." You do this by making the table you perform for FREAK out and scream inside the restaurant or you can get an effect like Hot Leads which makes your business card burst into flames. People will hear the tables and see a huge flame and ask you to come over to them.

As far as the tricks, thats all based on your preference. If you want to do fork bending then you need to bring your own forks but you can be creative in the way you introduce them. Tell the manager that you brought your forks and you need them to be added to the silverware they roll. Now, the tables will have an extra fork that you brought and you can approach the table, take the fork, bend it, and let them keep it. The restaurant loses nothing and the customer gets a fork:). But tricks depend on what you want your magic to say.