View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: delete
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:05 pm 
Penguin

delete

Last edited by Frymus on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:51 am 
Emperor Penguin

Check out seances. Dixie Dooley has a video on it. Houdini also has some material on it (I believe Penguin sells a book called Houdini on Magic, that discusses the issue a little bit). Seance magic would be perfect for what you're looking for.

There is the head chopper illusion, or impaled illusion. Both can be performed for a "scary" situation. The Iron Garrote can be modified from using the small chain they give, to a large chain. This allows it to play to a larger audience, and fits what you would want.

That's all I can think of for right now.

Post subject: Re: "Scary" or halloween theme Illusions!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:13 pm 
born to perform.

Frymus wrote:
Hope this Forum is better then the other forums....

to introduce myself. My name is Michael Frymus, i am 17 and i am an illusionist. I have storage for these illusions, my dads a truck driver so i got transport, and money... well, not to worry about at the moment.....

Ok,
I have been emailed from Paramount Canada's Wonderland if i want to perform any "scary" or anything to a halloween theme illusion show.

I can only find a PTS system that uses flying "Ghosts" for $2,200.
but that seems a bit too much just for one effect. Even though i know you can do a lot more with it, but this is not what i really like doing. I prefer large props.

I want to perform some illusions that you can perform anytime and would also go with the halloween theme with a little customization - Decoration.
Maybe some interlude would be good.

And thats all i can think of.

*This is an outdoor stage, so it wont have a lot of things that an indoor theatre would have. But it does have a LOT of lights and huge sound systems i can use.

Frymus, you need to wake up and smell the coffee... if you are seriously interested in getting into stage illusions (and please don't tell us you are an experienced stage illusionist because, by your own admission, you did your first ever stage show in Nov. 2007 in your school), then you need to be prepared to lay out SERIOUS bucks. You keep starting threads in this and other forums in which you ask for directions on where you can obtain illusions similar to extremely high quality professional stage illusions performed by the likes of David Copperfield, Lance Burton, and others. And you balk at having to pay $2,200 for a single effect. :lol:

You have a lot to learn... and Craig Browning and others have actually given you some very good advice.

Now you've left TalkMagic and come to a forum with considerable fewer working professional magicians, yet you expect to get more helpful advice. :roll:

Well... here: Buy Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Get your dad to help you build a few of the stage illusions in it... the Haunted House illusion might be appropriate.

For the kind of stage illusions to which you've been posting YouTube videos links, $2,200 is a drop in the bucket.

BTW... you say live in Toronto. Well, then... instead of wasting your time in forums, go to Browser's Den or Morrissey Magic and ask the folks there for help. You don't need Penguin or E or any other online resources -- you live in relatively close proximity to two of the best brick & mortar magic shops in Canada. I envy you for that... but only that.

Last edited by TheCaffeinator on Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: are you sure it's Canada'd Wonderland?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:29 pm 
Penguin

Whoa my son!!Canada's Wonderland is a major gig. I know enough of the frozen north to know that engagement compares with one like Cedar Point in Ohio or the Six Flags parks.
Now I've checked their situation out with a friend and I know some amateur high school orchestras play there occasionally , but still that would be their show bands of their hottest musicians and then on special theme days.
Ordinarily, they have a host stable of solid university drama majors who are triple threats.
Congratulations, but in my most humble opinion, if this is a regular gig then even I would say it should be handled by our most experienced compatriots who could work such a big scene. Again, break a leg.
Go for it..but please be ready for such a big step up. Ron0

Post subject: Re: are you sure it's Canada'd Wonderland?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:01 pm 
Penguin

nvm

Last edited by Frymus on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: are you sure it's Canada'd Wonderland?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:04 pm 
born to perform.

Frymus wrote:
HU? and how are you supposed to know when i started performing?

You posted that information in the TalkMagic forums. You know... in the thread called "Impress the 'ladies' magic"? :roll:

Frymus wrote:
Do you stalk me or something?

No... but I make it a point to find out who I'm talking to when I reply directly to someone in a forum. I don't give out information to just anyone; I need to know that they are credible and deserving of the knowledge. So I hit their little "profile" button and read some of their previous posts in the forums, which pretty quickly tells me if that person is a worker or a poser. If the person present himself (or herself) as an experienced magician (or an "illusionist"), I'll look for that person's website or Google his/her name. That's how I found your posting history in the TalkMagic forum (with all that good advice you received from Craig Browning, et al... and all those threads that ended up locked).

Frymus wrote:
So what if it costs a lot of money, i understand! i know what it takes, i know people in this business.

Based on the questions you've been asking, you have no idea what it takes. Apparently, you don't know the right people in "this business" because you're looking for answers here.

Frymus wrote:
I own a few illusions book, with lots of plans. Which most are many years old, and not that good...

:roll: I don't even know what to say to that. Well... I do, but it isn't very nice. :roll:

So... I'll just say, "Good luck."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:56 pm 
Penguin

nvm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:22 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:53 am Post subject: Imress the "ladies" magic

Frymus wrote:
hey all,

i just performed my first magic stage show last night and it was the BOMB, evn though i wasnt allowed to use fire in school. haha

anyways, one of the girls watching askedif we could go out and perform magic, or rather i perform some magic to her.

And i dont really know what to perform to her that would really impress her and the "ladies" -- all i know is "life" from loops.

Any tips/help?

Thanks!

You really should go back and read, then re-read all the posts from Talkmagic... especially Craigs. He knows what he is talking about.
He isnt the one asking the same question over and over, he isnt the one not understanding the answers, hes not the inexperienced one.
You need to learn to take advice.

If you want people to build your props it will cost money. In one post you say you dont want a professional to build them for you, just some one... which doesnt make any sense. IF your not going to have a pro build them, then just build them your self.

You seem to have very little idea on what your doing or even what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:52 pm 
born to perform.

Hmmm... what's the phrase I'm looking for here...? Ah... got it...

Oh, snap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:00 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Impaled isn't a quick effect. Granted, I don't perform it often (I perform very few large illusions anymore as I lost a great majority of them, and I don't like the hassle of trucking them around), but it was anything but quick. It's a great piece of theater that with the right presentation, should last some while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:39 pm 
Penguin

nvm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:41 pm 
Penguin

nvm

Last edited by Frymus on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:06 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Quote:
OK, let me tell you this...
That was NOT me!

a month ago, i went over the this kids house to discuss about some illusionst and stuff. I log in into his account and i kept the log me auto. in botton. So now, he can go on the forums and type in whatever he wants under my name. - Seriously!

This was his post! i have never seen it! I have never written anything about any of my performances!

Plus, he performed not long ago in his school so, that is Definately NOT me talking!

The "poster" posted topics identical to ones you posted over here.
Asked the same questions, writes the same way, talks the same way, argues the same way....

You also say you logged into HIS ACCOUNT... if you did that it would have been under a different name.

Yet you expect us to believe that it wasnt you posting?

You.... if I say what I am thinking.... :?