View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Which do you prefer?
Impromptu tricks 82%  82%  [ 14 ]
Gimmicked tricks 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:32 am 
Penguin

CLOSED. PLEASE DON'T POST HERE ANYMORE.

Last edited by pingumagic on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:40 am 
born to perform.

There is a big difference between gimmicked tricks and setup tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:13 am 
Penguin

You know what I mean though.

Tricks you can do with anybodys cards, coins ect. versus tricks which need to be set up then cleaned up in one way or another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:10 am 

pingumagic wrote:

Tricks you can do with anybodys cards, coins ect. versus tricks which need to be set up then cleaned up in one way or another.

No, I don't. I am a psychic, not a mind reader. if you can't express yourself to be understood you're in trouble. I can use anybody's deck of cards, take a minute while they are all watching me and set up the deck to do tricks. Anybody can do that and the spectators have no idea of what is going on before their eyes. So is that impropmtu or not? In the real world one answer is correct, according to you the answer is the opposite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:26 am 
born to perform.

What definition of impromptu are you working with?

Impromptu defined as "not using a gimmick" isn't really impromptu - as you still require specific props to perform the effect. Most magicians don't understand the concept of impromptu, let alone which tricks are impromptu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:49 am 
born to perform.

pingumagic wrote:

Well, no... not really. The problem is that "impromptu" is used inconsistently, both within the general magic community and this forum. It's use as a marketing term muddies the waters even further.

Strictly speaking, "impromptu" means "made or done without previous preparation"; however, it is also used to mean "with little or no preparation" and "with the appearance of having required little or no preparation."

This is complicated even further by the introduction of the distinction between magic with borrowed items, magic with ordinary objects, and magic with whatever happens to be on hand.

Based on the definitions you choose to use, you could argue that there is, for example, no impromptu card magic because you need a deck of cards, thus requiring some sort of "preparation." Or you could argue that carryign around a deck of cards simply constitutes "little preparation," which is okay. Or you could say that you're only doing impromptu card magic if it is with a deck of cards somebody hands you. But what if I happen to always carry around a deck of cards set in the Breakthrough Card System? Is that "little preparation"? What if I always carry a TT?

You can simply say that impromptu magic is magic that you can do on the spur of the moment if someone asks... regardless of how much preparation is involved or whether or not it requires a gimmick. That makes "impromptu" very subjective, as it is purely dependent on what you are capable of and what you carry around with you.

As you can see, it can get a little complicated unless you specifically define your terms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:18 pm 
born to perform.

i use both. wouldnt stick to just one or the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:03 pm 
Emperor Penguin

To me, I prefer it to APPEAR impromptu. I do have a dislike for carrying around gimmicks, but if the effect is worth performing (for me and my character), then it's in my repetoire.

But we have to remember that there is a huge difference between being that "Mysterious Stranger" on the street, and the paid performer hopping tables.

For the latter, it doesn't really matter. You are there to perform. So you're going to be carrying rope, handkerchiefs, cards, and perhaps other magic props. But you're there for the money and not so much your ego.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:00 pm 
Penguin

I like how you guys pick apart everything I say, using quotes and everything.

I MEAN impromptu as in having no setup or setup in front of the spectator, like paddy said.

I MEAN gimmicked as utilising a gimmick(obviously)

and I MEAN setup as having previously prepared the trick, not during.

Is that better?

Edit:
Paddy, do you really need to be so uptight and sarcastic?

In the real world one answer is correct, according to you the answer is the opposite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:58 pm 
born to perform.

pingumagic wrote:

I MEAN impromptu as in having no setup or setup in front of the spectator, like paddy said.

Okay, so utilizing normal items of any nature as long as they are not gimmicked. Imp[romptu then, since practically all mentalism, card magic, and coin magic would be considered impromptu by that definition.

Duh. . .

Didn't you say the opposite above?

Is that better?

'Bout the same.

Edit:

Yes - yes, he does. That's why we love 'im.

In the real world one answer is correct, according to you the answer is the opposite.

It's a poll dufus. There is no "In the real world one answer is correct". It's a poll, it's based on opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:40 pm 
Penguin

dbaker_creator wrote:
pingumagic wrote:

Okay, so utilizing normal items of any nature as long as they are not gimmicked. Imp[romptu then, since practically all mentalism, card magic, and coin magic would be considered impromptu by that definition.

Duh. . .

Didn't you say the opposite above?

Is that better?

'Bout the same.

Edit:

Yes - yes, he does. That's why we love 'im.

It's a poll dufus. There is no "In the real world one answer is correct". It's a poll, it's based on opinion.

You really need to learn to read.

No, I did not say the opposite above.

Also, when did I say anything about a poll, I was quoting Paddy's stupid comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:05 am 
Penguin

So basically because you didnt like the responses, didnt like being told your wrong, and asked for clarification you change your whole topic to nothing and insult paddy and baker.... very mature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:36 am 

pingumagic, I will state again what I said earlier, then explain it so that any 1st grader can understand.
Quote:
The way YOU define things a gimmick is that, a device to aid in magic, and "impromptu" is anything else.

According to the real world definition of impromtu, everything is done on the spot" with no rehearsals or practice.

If you watched my act you would swear that everything is unrehearsed and totally "impromptu." However, my sidewalk show includes "ad libs" aimed at the audience. Each and every word I use is rehearsed over and over again. If you watched my sidewalk shows for a day you would know what I was going to say before I said it, every word in the exact same order. Yes there is room for impromptu heckler put downs, but that is all.

As to my being "uptight and sarcastic?" YES! If you can't communicate, in proper English, what you mean, then don't get upset at those who respond to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:40 am 
Penguin

Davieg way to get post count!

I dunno about you but I consider being called a dufus insulting.
I tried to clear up what I meant, which you would have found out by actually reading the posts I made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:52 am 

pingumagic wrote:
Davieg way to get post count!

I dunno about you but I consider being called a dufus insulting.
I tried to clear up what I meant, which you would have found out by actually reading the posts I made.

Well, if it fits, wear it. I'm sure dbaker_creator meant it in a nice way. I agree with him, and so do a lot of others. Not an insult, just the truth as we see it.