View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can you list
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:12 pm 
Penguin

some ideal effects to use for restaurant magic, that resets easily, packs small and plays big?

I really would appreciate that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:15 pm 
Penguin

punctured

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:25 pm 
born to perform.

Perfection by Oz Pearlman
Misled by Timothy Wenk
Chicago opener/ 'Red Hot Mama'
Card to Wallet
ACR
I havent done it but I have seen 'Ring Leader by Greg Wilson' done in a restaurant setting and to great effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:41 pm 
born to perform.

revelation77 wrote:
Misled by Timothy Wenk
Card to Wallet
ACR
I havent done it but I have seen 'Ring Leader by Greg Wilson' done in a restaurant setting and to great effect.

Perfection would be a VERY bad trick to use in a restaurant.
Requires spectator to handle your cards
Requires spectator to shuffle your cards
Requires you to take up table space
Requires a pre-set assembly - so I'm told.

Short answer: There are dozens of threads about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:47 pm 
born to perform.

dbaker_creator wrote:
revelation77 wrote:
Misled by Timothy Wenk
Card to Wallet
ACR

I have used this in a walkaround setting. Yes it requires pre-set assembly but once it is assembled, you dont have to set it up again for the rest of the night. It resets almost straight away. Yes, the spectator handle the cards and shuffle the cards...so what. I think it really strengthens the effect. If your cards are really messed up by the end of the night...throw them out and get a new one. They're cheap as.
Do you even have this? Have you used it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:58 pm 
born to perform.

revelation77 wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:
revelation77 wrote:
Misled by Timothy Wenk
Card to Wallet
ACR

I have used this in a walkaround setting. Yes it requires pre-set assembly but once it is assembled, you dont have to set it up again for the rest of the night. It resets almost straight away. Yes, the spectator handle the cards and shuffle the cards...so what. I think it really strengthens the effect. If your cards are really messed up by the end of the night...throw them out and get a new one. They're cheap as.
Do you even have this? Have you used it?

Would I write "so I'm told" if I had it?

A Few General Rules of Table Hopping:
Don't let spectator's shuffle your cards - unless you brought a deck for every table.
Don't take up table space, just because it's rude.
Don't use effects that require a set-deck, you're wasting pocket space on 2 decks when 1 will do.

Another aspect of the effect that's bad for Restaurants:
It takes too long. Start to finsh the effect would take up an entire restaurant act's time.

Questions for you:
Have you ever worked a restaurant? Walk around and restaurant magic are far from the same thing.

Quote:
If your cards are really messed up by the end of the night...throw them out and get a new one

If you can go through a night of pro-level walk around (let alone restaurant magic) without destroying at least 3 decks - I'd love to know how.

Since the effect is only about 3 weeks old, I'd like to know how much you practiced the effect before you decided to use it in a performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:23 pm 
Team Penguin

Anything by Jay Sankey. Mercuring, Holy Moly, Smashed, About Face, Snowstorm, Public Transit, Prediction Impossible, Nailed!, Papperclipped, anything by Jay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:39 pm 
Penguin

How long should the effects be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:09 am 
born to perform.

I have not worked in a resaurant but I do have one view on the subject. The customers did not come there to watch magic, they came there to enjoy each others company. That may be obvious but I know from experience when performing that it is hard to leave when they are loving your magic but you can never let them get bored. I guess the old saying: "leave 'em wanting more" is a good rule to stand by. Mostly you want quick, visual tricks with high impact that will leave them awestruck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:05 am 
Penguin

what effects do you think will work for restaurant magic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:06 am 

Jose_Ruiz wrote:

I use a piece of rope, sponge balls and a set of 4" dia rings. That's all you need. I don't do cards because EVERYBODY has an uncle that showed them card tricks, just too common.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:16 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Jose_Ruiz wrote:

I use a piece of rope, sponge balls and a set of 4" dia rings. That's all you need. I don't do cards because EVERYBODY has an uncle that showed them card tricks, just too common.

thats the way I do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:31 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
I don't do cards because EVERYBODY has an uncle that showed them card tricks, just too common.

Never been a problem for me because I do uncommon card tricks.

On a semi-related note, I never had an uncle who showed me card tricks; in fact, I showed my uncles card card tricks. Now that I think about it, none of my relatives ever showed me any card tricks. In fact, my uncles showed me coin tricks... "Oh, look... what's that in your ear..." type of stuff. But I don't see that as a reason to avoid coin magic.

I've been an uncle for about 20 years now. I've shown my nieces and nephews card tricks. Now, I happen to be a professional magician who is very selective about the card tricks he chooses to do. So... when my nieces and nephews hear a phrase like, "You know... it's like one of those card tricks your uncle shows you" uttered with disdain, they'll have a completely different interpretation. At least, I hope they will!

While I appreciate and agree with the overall point paddy is making about choosing unique magic that will stand out (and, in doing so, make you stand out), IMHO, "Because everybody has an uncle who did X or Y kind of magic" is not a valid reason for turning one's back on an entire class of magic, whether it be cards or coins or rope or whatever. It might be a good reason for avoiding certain specific tricks, but not for avoiding an entire genre of the art.

But, hey, that's just me. And I guess every magician is different. Except for all those uncles. :wink:

Last edited by TheCaffeinator on Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:13 pm 
born to perform.

revelation77 wrote:
Mostly you want quick, visual tricks with high impact that will leave them awestruck.

Right, which is why "Perfection" is a bad suggestion. It's neither visual nor quick.

paddy wrote:

50% of my restaurant magic is card magic. Ambitious Card, Biddle Trick, Corner Card (my own), Bigger Finish, and several odd revelations - all great stuff.

I wish I knew enough rope magic to let it take up such a chunk of my work - then I could do that ring on a string routine I like more often.

Jose_Ruiz wrote:
How long should the effects be?

You need to fit an Opener, Bulk, and Closer into 3-5minutes.

Opener: As Jay Sankey says, "Within 5 seconds of you approaching a table, there better be magic." The opener must be extremely visual, fast, and hopefully lead you into your next effect.

Bulk: Whatever you want to do, this is where you get to be funny and charming so make the most of it. Many magicians advise using a "sequence of 3" within the Bulk area. ie: you can do an ACR with 2 reveals, then Card to wallet (1,2,3). You can do several sequences of 3 as long as they all go "something, something, climax".

Closer: This is your farewell to your guests. It should be hardhitting, but not as flashy. The point is not to make them go WOW!, it's to make them miss you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:26 am 
Penguin

Few card tricks, spongeballs and a rope trick (I suggest: Ring on rope, or Professor's nightmare)