View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A magicians view of the war...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:45 pm 
Penguin

OK, I know some of you are probably thinking that I must be insane, but if I may have a moment I would like to share some experiences. I do not post on here often but I have been a member for a few years. I am currently in the military and deployed to Iraq(for the 3rd time now). This time I noticed something different, the people seemed more approachable. So here I am armed with my trusty sidearm, a scotch and soda, penny and dime, TT, invisible thread, and some sponge balls, I decide to set out to make some friends.

I first showed the vanishing hanky trick to a guy that I see almost everyday and he absolutely freaked out. He was genuinely scared and began backing away from me then he asked me something in arabic which I totally did not understand. He asked again this time in broken english, "Do you have a ???" the last word was arabic and I do not remember what it was. Then he said " I think in english it's called a jenny." I gave him a puzzled look as my brain kicked into overdrive to figure out what this guy was talking about. Then I realized it...he wanted to know if I had a Genie. It was at this moment that I realized this was going to be a good deployment.

I have gotten several reactions just like the one mentioned above and I must admit to them that no I dont have a genie that everything is done by slights, misdirection, lots of practice and a couple gimmicks. I deal with a great deal of locals everyday and now every morning when I go to pick up a bus load of about 20 local iraqi citizens I am greeted by the shaking of hands, hugs and the affectionate term habibi...which means something like brother or family member. The others that know me more closely simply call me magic man and I still get the occasional question about a genie.

When I get the time I usually throw together a short 15 or 20 minute performance that everyone(including the coalition forces) corwd around to watch. Unfortunately there are no magic lamps or Genies here...just us penguins...trying to make changes in the world one friend at a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:25 pm 
born to perform.

thats awesome.
thank you so much for your support in Iraq, you are a true hero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:37 pm 
Penguin

AH man that's crazy. I'm deployed too! I work a lot with TCN's and I love showing them magic.

That's way awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:58 pm 
born to perform.

Haha, I know the word habibi, old people use it here sometimes... that's how you call someone you like, like mate or w\e.

Not really related but kinda:
In Israel there's an army-magician.
He goes to shelters in cities that are in red alert and he entertains the kids there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:31 pm 
born to perform.

I know i cant really compare my job as a police officer to yours in the army, but i also use magic in the same way, it is a way to connect with anyone regardless of age or gender or nationality.

I can entertain a group of 6 year olds aswell as a group of kids (the type no one wants round, you know what i mean) and its a way to connect with them and get them to respect you and your job.

Post subject: never a hero
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:41 pm 
Penguin

My specialty late in life was teaching world religions and World War Two history. Each day I drive WW2 and Korean vets to their appointments..they're aging now but they would be some ticked off if I called them heroes.
The policing action in Iraq is extremely complicated..as is the one in Afghanistan. The thing I always remember are American leaders who send people to die..yet as a young man he took a vacation in England or the one who was a pilot defending the Gulf Coast from North Vietnamese air attacks.
I'm just as cynical now at present candidates who have never worked two months in their life..and don't have to because they married a beer heiress, and because their mama was an oil heiress. Or with candidates who have decided to pull out of Iraq without a sane plan in place.
It's the same old..same old..if you were white, middle class and could get a student deferment you lived..if you were; black, or unlucky you were drafted. Worse in WW2 Canada in which thousands of "zombies' who were drafted refused to serve outside of Canada. No heroes..just folks caught up in massive power plays. I respect the military. I hate manipulators. ron0

Post subject: Thanks for all the support.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:37 pm 
Penguin

OK, I'm back after a couple days( the internet is hit and miss here).

Anyway thanks for all the positive comments and support, and some of you are right, I absolutely do not consider myself a hero at all. The way I see it, I am just here doing my job. Any opportunity that I can find to perform magic is a bonus, and the reactions that I get from people here are great, especially since they really haven't been exposed to magic as performances, just people trying to manipulate them into thinking they have special abilities. One aspect I try to address (and this may be a controversial subject) is the fact that all of the things that I do can be done by anyone (no special super magic powers required) just the desire to learn, the committment to practice and the time it takes to perfect. Ok I guess this is a long enough post, it's 10:32 PM here and 5:30 AM comes pretty early especially with all the mortars waking you up all hours of the night. To all my fellow penguins good luck with your magic and to all the Veterans, thanks for your prior service you will always have more people supporting you than you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:00 pm 
Penguin

great job guys! theres nothing better than communicating friendship using our art : )

now, because we're magicians, did any of you buy the whole "weapons of mass destruction" thing as a justification of the war? or did anyone else see it as misdirection and manipulation as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:15 pm 
Penguin

hey, cool story. thanks for going and helping out in Iraq. my cousin is stationed over there.