View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What If. . .
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:51 am 
born to perform.

Ive got my first restuarant in a nice, casual / fine dinning walk around restaurant magic gig in a little italy atmosphere

and i was wondering what do you ever do if you show someone a trick and they see you do something that your not supposed to (not that it happens) and what if they have already seen the trick from a cousin or someone and no how to do the trick, how do you react and what o you say?

And also what trick would suit a little italy atmosphere (note i live in australia and i wont be table hopping as much, more like walk around and entertain the people waiting in the massive lines, and then i would go table hopping.

Thanks

Any Help would be Muchly Appreciated :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:57 am 

This is a question you should be prepared for before you ever audition. This is basic! It sounds also like you are very young.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:17 pm 
Team Penguin

Paddy, you can be young and table hop. Everyone has to start somewhere, although he should have expirience in strolling enviroments before ever thinking about this. Regardless, you should be prepared for this, and just stay kind of off the cuff. Use the enviroment to the advantage, because there is no one answer that someone can say to every table to get all the heat off someone who catches your tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:20 pm 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
Argh, been asked alot and I've heard this is very highly recommended; Live at the Jailhouse.

Pauldela

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:42 pm 

Live At the Jailhouse makes 2 assumptions. 1. You know how to handle situations that come up in restaurant entertaining. 2. You are old enough to know what you are doing.

This kid sounds WAY too young. True story. I had performed at this restaurant for Mother's Day and Father's Day for 2 years. I kept dropping by to make it a weekly gig. Well Mother's day was comming up last year and I had not gotten a call, so I called the General Manager and asked him. Well he was new and just said "we don't do that!" and slammed down the phone.

I went to the place the next day and saw a manager that knew the work I do and I asked her why the rudeness. Well, some little son of a ***** come in and did it for free for a couple of weeks. Until he approached a table that had a baby, the mom unbuttoned her blouse, took out her breast and started to feed the baby. He just stared at her breast, they complained to the corporate offices and that ended all entertainment in that restaurant. That cost me US$200 a day in tips plus the restaurant fee.

NEVER think kids can handle what happens in restaurants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:28 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Live At the Jailhouse makes 2 assumptions. 1. You know how to handle situations that come up in restaurant entertaining. 2. You are old enough to know what you are doing.

This kid sounds WAY too young. True story. I had performed at this restaurant for Mother's Day and Father's Day for 2 years. I kept dropping by to make it a weekly gig. Well Mother's day was comming up last year and I had not gotten a call, so I called the General Manager and asked him. Well he was new and just said "we don't do that!" and slammed down the phone.

I went to the place the next day and saw a manager that knew the work I do and I asked her why the rudeness. Well, some little son of a ***** come in and did it for free for a couple of weeks. Until he approached a table that had a baby, the mom unbuttoned her blouse, took out her breast and started to feed the baby. He just stared at her breast, they complained to the corporate offices and that ended all entertainment in that restaurant. That cost me US$200 a day in tips plus the restaurant fee.

NEVER think kids can handle what happens in restaurants.

LMAO im not thatyougn or that much of a moron to do something like that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:31 am 
born to perform.

Iv heard you tell that story alot paddy, and have to admit, its never happened to me, and to be honest a mother doing that in a restaurant would not happen in the UK, they would go to the toilets or somewhere else, its a disgrace to do that infront of a child anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:33 am 
born to perform.

ukcop wrote:
Iv heard you tell that story alot paddy, and have to admit, its never happened to me, and to be honest a mother doing that in a restaurant would not happen in the UK, they would go to the toilets or somewhere else, its a disgrace to do that infront of a child anyway.

True i thought it was illegal to brestfeed in Australia in public and most other countries?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:34 am 
Emperor Penguin

Check Live at the Jailhouse Disk 3, "What to do if a woman whips out a breast."

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:40 am 
Emperor Penguin

It's usually common sense that before you accept a gig, you know what you're doing. From the sounds of it, you really don't know what you're doing; so logically, you should not be accepting a gig.

Pick up some books on restaurant magic, it will help you quite a bit in the long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:03 pm 
born to perform.

It doesnt happen in the UK, its illegal, cant believe its not in the US, but to clearly do it infront of a child performer, and you have problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:37 pm 
Penguin

Unfortunately there is probably nothing any of us can say to stop this kid from working in a restaurant way too early if he's already accepted the gig. I did months and months of research before I even started planning to work in a restaurant. Before I even started getting paid for performing in a restaurant for real, I worked tables at a local pizza hut on kids night for free to get experience (they eventually started paying me minimum wage, but this was still only to gain experience performing in a family restaurant). Even this could never have prepared me for situations I would later face when I started working in a real restaurant and bar, but that's why you have to start out small, especially if you are young. How old is this kid anyway? Learning these things the hard way is not really the way to go here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:21 am 
born to perform.

im 17 at the moment

why how old were u guys befre you did your first kids show or restaurant gig?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:17 am 
Penguin

orcishorde wrote:
im 17 at the moment

why how old were u guys befre you did your first kids show or restaurant gig?

It is more than just age- it is maturity, respect, and understanding.
Many believe these come with age, which just is not true.

My first was not until I was 18.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:28 am 
born to perform.

Quote:
It is more than just age- it is maturity, respect, and understanding.

QFE.
This is sooo true