View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: "There's no such thing as magic"
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:29 pm 
Penguin

well just tell them, "when you watch a cartoon, do you scream out, hey those arent real people! There fake!"

Post subject: well that is bad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:05 pm 
Penguin

you should learn some mentalist, so if thing happen again you just use your best mentalism to show then ( as clean as possible, with most mentalism do).
After show them that you can answer like: yes you are right there is no magic, what i had show you is illusion, art of mystery. or something like that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:57 pm 
born to perform.

Magic isnt real
just like your green card

magic isnt real
and......

magic isnt real
thanks, so anyway.....

magic isnt real
do have friends?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:04 pm 
Penguin

Masterangel wrote:
hum...It seems as if no one would agree with me, but I just say "yes there is" and tht it IS real magic what they are watching (I also try to give a "scientifical" explanation b4 I do a trick, like saying "it is possible to melt a quarter if you rub it hard enough"), and they will try to go on with "no there isn't," after tht point I would try to ignore the person if they say tht again. I would do some SMALL/EASY tricks for him/her, they will deff try to ruin it, and if thts the case I would point out tht he/she is juss ruining the fun for the rest of us, but I never deny tht I do real magic...and btw, the answer I give to "how did you do tht?" is "Magic"

Just act in such a way you make them believe there is magic or such thing.
Like when i do the '' this and that'' trick and they ask...how did you do that? I usually say..well..it are special cards...you just need to rub such a way this turns to the other. It keeps them busy for a minute or so :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:56 am 
born to perform.

All this stuff depends on your character really.

If your character is somebody that performs 'real' magic like most mentalists, then you will say whatever is necessary to minimise the damage or leave them wondering. "If that's what you think..."

If you are Penn Jillette and someone tells you there's "no such thing as magic" you'd stare at them and yell: "NO?! REALLY?! NICE ONE SHERLOCK!" (probably with a couple of obscenities to spice things up :-) )

If you perform gambling routines then someone would have to transcend the usual levels of idiocy to make such a comment.
(Note that that is not intended as an insult to my audiences, who are all wonderful people, but to the world population at large.)

My own character is something of a work in progress but an appropriate response would be... "Well, of course. Just like films aren't real, music isn't real..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:26 am 
born to perform.

I don't try to get confrontational... I don't know where I got it or why it works, but what I tend to say is... with the right shocked tone of voice is??

" No magic??? Might as well say there is no Santa Claus... Next you'll say The Easter Bunny isn't real either...or the Tooth Fairy..if the Tooth Fairy isn't real, where did I get this???" Then show them a shiny half dollar...which you pull out of thin air... " and this?" * go into an improntu Miser's dream sequence* If you want a really good one with just 2 coins, see David Stone's Coin DvD.

Presented with the right chutzpah it can get everyone else laughing... it works on two levels first is."of COURSE there is no such thing as magic, and we all KNOW that..." the next is that choosing to believe in it, brings a little magical romance and fantasy into otherwise drab and dreary lives... it makes our hearts shine, and our eyes gleam :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:54 pm 
Penguin

Giving a scientific explanation before the trick works fantastically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:04 pm 
Penguin

"Who said it was magic?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:41 am 
born to perform.

I had one co-worker tell me that every time I performed an illusion in the office. She couldn't enjoy the wonder of magic because she didn't know how it was done. She knew that the laws of physics couldn't allow some things she saw. She knew that her eyes told her one thing, but she saw another. That bothered her. The mystery that usually entertains the rest of us disturbed her. And she wasn't one of those people who just have to know how something is done. She never asked or tried to figure it out. It was just disturbing to her. So her reaction was to state - loudly - that there was no such thing as magic.

I let her know that I was performing sleight of hand illusions; not "magic." I reminded her that I never claimed to have any super-human or true magical 'powers' or abilities. I told her that my goal was to entertain and - hopefully - get that occasional smile of wonder and amazement in the face of someone who witnessed something seemingly impossible become possible.

She warmed up a little bit; but not much. Seeing amazing things didn't amaze her. I think it scared her a little; so she fought off that fear the only way she knew how...by claiming out loud that there was no such thing as magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:48 pm 
Penguin

"There's no such thing as magic"

Me: "Who told you that, Vernon Dursley?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:28 am 
Penguin

eoghan wrote:
ya everybody thinks Uri Geller is just a lonely disturbed old man

That's funny. Here is Uri Geller trying to do his best to practice the art of magic and everybody just thinks he is a lonely disturbed old man. Nobody appreciates or respects his efforts. For his efforts, they just think he's a lonely, disturbed old man who is a LOOSER. You got to hate being in the position of putting forth your best effort and everybody thinking you are lonely and disturbed in return.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:59 am 
Emperor Penguin

VForVendetta43210 wrote:
LOOSER.

You spelled it wrong. You know what that makes you...

Post subject: The Laws of Physics
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:26 pm 
Penguin

I am new to this art of "magic". Whether or not "magic" is real depends on how one defines it. I call magic the art of illusion. I tell people that the laws of physics are real. Only miracles can transcend the laws of physics. I don't perform miracles. But I skate very close to the edge of the laws of physics... and occasionally I manage to manipulate them.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:54 pm 
Penguin

I generally just say

"Yeah you're right..."

Usually that throws them a bit when you agree with them. And then I usually follow it up with a couple of quick witted remarks about them or just say "Its an illusion. If you haven't guessed that already you need help"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:59 pm 
Penguin

Guardian452 wrote:
magic isnt real
do have friends?

ha thats funny. i'll have to try that one out.

when i would perform at school there was this kid who was always like "you're a fake! theres no such thing as magic!" performing at school sucks, lots of teenagers dont want to admit that they've been fooled so they try there best to figure out the trick and shout it to the the world. this kid would get kindof mad when i'd try to do a trick. it was so frustrating. i would try to say stuff like its an illusion, sleight of hand, etc. but he always tried to ruin it...it made me sad.

then i performed clutch to him and he was like "ok, that was pretty cool" 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next