View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stage Magic...Please Help
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:04 pm 
Penguin

hi guys, my name is michael and im 15 and its my dream to be a famous stage magician. david copperfield is my idol and i heard he started at a young age. i have invented MANY fabulous stage illusions that will definately make it into the real world, but i have absolutely no clue how to start. can somebody please tell me who to contact or who to talk to in order to start stage magic? please reply, i really need advice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:18 am 
born to perform.

oh man people could bash you for that post. I have one piece of advice, do free shows at first (places like malls) before you even THINK of trying to do paid stage shows at a venue. You need to think of things like your entire set of patter, lighting, music, your character, which tricks you will do, in what order you will do them and why for all of these things. Get Maximum Entertainment (sold here) that will teach you a lot about stage magic and magic theory. Sounds to me like even though you have "invented" many stage illusions, you aren't mature or practiced enough to do stage magic. I guess that's more than one piece of advice... oh well. Oh and watch out for the more mean penguinites, be careful what you say here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:18 pm 
Penguin

bucky310 wrote:
oh man people could bash you for that post. I have one piece of advice, do free shows at first (places like malls) before you even THINK of trying to do paid stage shows at a venue. You need to think of things like your entire set of patter, lighting, music, your character, which tricks you will do, in what order you will do them and why for all of these things. Get Maximum Entertainment (sold here) that will teach you a lot about stage magic and magic theory. Sounds to me like even though you have "invented" many stage illusions, you aren't mature or practiced enough to do stage magic. I guess that's more than one piece of advice... oh well. Oh and watch out for the more mean penguinites, be careful what you say here.

I don't get it, did i say something wrong? All I wanna know is where to start with stage magic. I mean I have the idea for he trick and I have a method, but I want to know who to contact to buildthe illusion, who to talk to and all that. Also, my school is having a talent show in a few months and I want to participate, but I don't know where to start. You see where I'm going

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:22 pm 
Emperor Penguin

http://belzianmagic.blogspot.com/ This is a blog that I wrote and it includes 5 essays on how to start a career as a magician. It should help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:23 pm 
Team Penguin

Magicman2292, it takes many, many more months that a few to get a good stage show prepared if you haven't even built the illusions. Try building them yourself. See how that works. If it doesn't, you can hire a builder, but it is expensive as crap. BTW, try out some of Andrew Mayne's stage illusions. They are cheap, easy, and you can add your own patter with relative ease. Do some free shows and get a feel for who you are on stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:43 am 
Penguin

Popchris wrote:
Magicman2292, it takes many, many more months that a few to get a good stage show prepared if you haven't even built the illusions. Try building them yourself. See how that works. If it doesn't, you can hire a builder, but it is expensive as crap. BTW, try out some of Andrew Mayne's stage illusions. They are cheap, easy, and you can add your own patter with relative ease. Do some free shows and get a feel for who you are on stage.

Thanks for the advice...I appreciate it. I know that I need more tricks and I'm kinda working on that, also, do you know where I can do free shows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:54 am 
Penguin

magicman2292 wrote:
Popchris wrote:

Thanks for the advice...I appreciate it. I know that I need more tricks and I'm kinda working on that, also, do you know where I can do free shows?
Look for festivals and fundraising events in your area. Contact them and let them know what you have to offer. If they're interested, they'll let you know and presto, you should have a show.

For example to the above, check charities like cancer fundraisers or children's hospitals fundraising events for your possible show.

It can get your name out, perhaps tv/newspaper/media coverage, etc..... After a couple of these shows, you have some credits to your name (shows that you have performed). And try not to let anybody other than the person/people you are dealing with that it is a free show so that you don't become known as the magician who does free shows. Once you become established, free shows are OK (where people can know) if it's for charities like a children's hospital for example.

These free shows will also give you some real world experience that will help establish you as a performer.

You may also try a couple of free shows with your family/friends. If they could book a hall/large room somewhere or perhaps in a large backyard. Example, if you have any little siblings or cousins or something, offer the show for one of their next birthdays.

Or a summer block party.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:26 am 
born to perform.

Go do community/school theater and get a feel for the stage. Acting experience and learning how to project in a stage setting are grossly undervalued in magic.

Also contact some Dance studios in your area. Some Dance teacher somewhere might be willing to frame a recital around an effect or two if it's as big as you suggest. You have to be good for that kind of thing. Real good.