View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:26 am 
Penguin

Hey,
I went out and tried those coles forks today. Unfortunately they're in blister packs so I couldn't test them out before buying them. They're way too strong for me. Funnily enough, they're not bad for the corkscrew but a discrete tine bend seems impossible with them.
Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:15 am 
born to perform.

bradjb83 wrote:
Hey,
I went out and tried those coles forks today. Unfortunately they're in blister packs so I couldn't test them out before buying them. They're way too strong for me. Funnily enough, they're not bad for the corkscrew but a discrete tine bend seems impossible with them.
Brad

lol, I actually took them out of the packet and started bending them. I found that they are perfect. It'll be hard to find anything weaker, build up the strength in your hands and it will be like butter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:17 am 
born to perform.

will this work in a restaurant environment. if you walk up to a table and take a fork out of your bag, it may look like it is gimmicked

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:18 am 
Emperor Penguin

I ordered the 36 Dominions (medium) from Amazon. I hope they turn out well. The cheap ones at Walmart are thick junk. These forks are like one solid plate of steal, I could bend them pretty easily, but they crack and also do not corkscrew, more like a Z shape. But they were pretty solid, so if I can bend these I should have no problems with the others. But like I said these just don't bend properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:57 am 

Bluebackedcards wrote:
will this work in a restaurant environment. if you walk up to a table and take a fork out of your bag, it may look like it is gimmicked

As "perfect" as this might seem for Restaurant work, it might not go over so well with the management. Someone on the waitstaff is bound to not know what's going on and report you to the manager.

If you want to do this, and have full approval of management, then "load up" the bus boys or whoever else sets up the tables with the proper forks. You don't want to borrow a patron's fork as that would be "dirty" and somewhat gross, so instead you call over to the nearest bus boy and ask for a fresh fork (yours of course) and you're on your way!

It's all in how you present it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:07 am 
Emperor Penguin

Another problem with this in restaurants, it could encourage others to try and bend forks, the ones that the restaurant owns. Especially people watching you from another table, young punks, kids etc. I doubt the management would be very happy to see a whole bunch of their forks all bent up by customers who wanted to see if they could replicate what "magic man" did. Or just to "test" them to see how easily they actually bend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:54 am 
Penguin

sirbrad wrote:
These forks are like one solid plate of steal, I could bend them pretty easily, but they crack

Yeah, I found a few that did that (the second coles one I tried was one of them)

I cut myself on one when it snapped about a month back. Luckily I was just practicing but you've gotta be careful with some of those thick ones if they're not soft enough to bend, don't want blood going all over the customers. ;-)
(for the record I don't do magic gigs of any sort yet. Though I'd like to work towards that sort of thing over the next year or two)

revelation77 wrote:
build up the strength in your hands and it will be like butter

Yeah, guess I'm weaker than I thought. I should tie weights to my fingers or something ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:08 am 
born to perform.

bradjb83 wrote:
Yeah, guess I'm weaker than I thought. I should tie weights to my fingers or something ;-)

I remember Jay Sankey talking about having a little thing in his pocket that he took out and pressed his thumb against whenever he wasn't doing anything (red lights, watching TV, etc.) does anyone recall anything like this. He did it to build the strength in his fingers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:35 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Yeah they snap and are sharp! I noticed that immediately, and was actually prepared for it. Otherwise getting cut would have been easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:56 am 
Emperor Penguin

Just got the the Dominion forks in two days! Wow that a BIG difference. Not only are these better quality, but bend a lot easier. Almost as if they are "liquid metal." Still pretty sturdy to bend the corkscrew, but possible at least. These don't have sharp edges that cut into your hands like the others, or that wide neck that just cracks.

I used some gloves to get used to it first, as the only problem is gripping the fork and not having them slip. Other than that I have the strength easily. These should be great. They are better quality, yet bend easily. Strange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:59 pm 
born to perform.

I'm glad that you got them, I have to order some myself. Happy bending!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:53 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Yeah like $15 with shipping, which is still kinda expensive to just bend away in a few days. So I will be comparing prices with local suppliers if they have them. Shipping cost more than the forks did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:04 am 
born to perform.

Ummm i was in the same boat as you but

if you go to Go Lo their is usually a set of forks in their i found and they are $1.99 for 4 forks, the Times bend ok they are not super weak but are not super strong i think they are prfect but just try going down to a Go Lo and checkinig it out

Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:17 am 
born to perform.

orcishorde wrote:

if you go to Go Lo their is usually a set of forks in their i found and they are $1.99 for 4 forks, the Times bend ok they are not super weak but are not super strong i think they are prfect but just try going down to a Go Lo and checkinig it out

Anthony
I haven't seen the ones at Go Lo, I might try them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:25 am 
Emperor Penguin

orcishorde wrote:

Anthony

Go Lo?? WTH is that? There is nothing named that in my area. Also that would be more expensive than what I am paying now for 36. Would be $18 plus tax. I get 36 for $7.00 but the shipping is what makes it about $16. If I find them at a restaurant supply store, I will be set.

Last edited by sirbrad on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next