View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: cub scouts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:06 pm 
Penguin

Hey everyone. I have a show this thursday, my first, I've been informed previously that its for cub scouts at a church. I already have a show ready and am confident. The show was ready weeks ago, I am well prepared.

Now for my actual questionaro. Any of you more experienced people have any last minute tips? It's for free and I am going to hand out business cards. My routine will be preformed for 7-10 year olds.Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:19 pm 
born to perform.

1. Run through the show 4+ times a day until you perform.
2. Don't rush/ interact with your audience.
3. Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:28 pm 
Penguin

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Anyone else? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:18 pm 
born to perform.

This advice is for a youth performer...

Take command from the moment you arrive in regards to the children. This is especially important if you are a youth performer The closer you are in age to them, the more rowdy they may be with you and the more they may try and get away with. For an adult, it is much easier to get them to behave. For a youth performer, you have to project an older maturity, despite your years. It is about carrying yourself with confidence and behaving in a business-like manner when dealing with the adults, and captivating the children early on.

I will let you in on one tip my daughter uses at the start of every show. Prior to ever showing up at a show she lets her client know that she will need time to set up and prepare for the show without the children. When she first arrives she introduces herself, shakes her clients hands, and asks where they would like her to setup (again, she has already stipulated that she works indoors). From there she begins her setup.

One thing that my daughter uses, which hasn't failed yet, is her magic carpet-- which is an extra large piece of felt which can be purchased at any fabric store. She lays it out on the floor for the children to sit on.

Once she gets done setting up she has one of us stay with her equipment while she goes and gathers the kids for the show or she asks the host to send them in depending upon the situation. As they come in she starts into her storytelling mode and tells them all about the magic carpet, and how the magic will only work if they all remain seated on it. It is a fun way of getting the kids involved with self-monitoring instead of listing a bunch of rules because it is spun in a fairytale fashion. Usually, if a child gets up when they are not supposed to and tries to touch something my daughter will merely say, "Oh no, can you see the magic escaping?" At which point the kids will call out to the other one to sit down.

My daughter employs a lot of the skills she has learned in mentoring younger children as a counselor into her magic and vice versa.

If you are a youth performer, I highly recommend volunteering for your recreation district as it will help your skills in performing and managing children.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:04 pm 
Penguin

Hey again, and thanks for the help. It went great! I got good reactions, and when I did the ring on sting to a parent, I think I made an impression on them as well. On a lesser note, my final trick was one I invented. A kid draws a doodle on a piece of paper, which I light aflame, and it reappears in my shoe. Flash paper is what I used.Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:25 pm 
Penguin

To zectar:

One of the added bonuses I always get when performing a kids show is when you impress/amaze the adults as well. Always leaves you feeling that much better about your show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:28 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the advice. I did a ring on sting that was more for the parents. Very fun; I call up a parent and a kid, they both come up and I put his ring on a string i my hand. They pull on the string and the ring is gone, I send the kid back and give the parent a high five....with the ring on my other hand.Your were all very helpful, thank you.