View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My First Show
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:54 am 
born to perform.

Hey guys i just wanted to tell everyone that my frist restuarant show went great, i did a bit of walkaround and table hopping, i loved it, it was very exciting :D

Anyways i was just wondering. I worked for 3 hours and got $200

Making $50 / hour via the restuarant
And the other $50 was just overall tips =]

Anyways i was just wondering is $50 good for a start off pay or should i ask for a little more next time

(note - i have been asked to work for the whole year every Saturday night depending on how i go)

Anthony

Post subject: Re: My First Show
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:08 am 
Penguin

orcishorde wrote:
Hey guys i just wanted to tell everyone that my frist restuarant show went great, i did a bit of walkaround and table hopping, i loved it, it was very exciting :D

Anyways i was just wondering. I worked for 3 hours and got $200

Making $50 / hour via the restuarant
And the other $50 was just overall tips =]

Anyways i was just wondering is $50 good for a start off pay or should i ask for a little more next time

(note - i have been asked to work for the whole year every Saturday night depending on how i go)

Anthony

Nice going! I can't wait until I'm old enough to do restuarant :P .
I've got two questions though - how old are you and what type of restuarant was it?

Just wondering :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:09 am 
born to perform.

let me ask this. Where you live, what other jobs pay $50 and hour? Part-time or otherwise? Do you need this money to live on or is this feeding the magic habit for now? What are magicians in Sydney making? Us americans won't be of any help we don't know what the average going rate is. That being said for your first job for the first time it sounds like a good pay scale.

Congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:22 am 
born to perform.

I live in NSW (Australia, Parramatta Area to be Specific)

This is a part - time job and is feeding my magic habit :D

Ummm its a Restaurant - La Piazza (itlaian and is split into 2 parts, 1 part is a casual / family part were u can buy pizza;s pasta's and the other half is a formal restaurant)

and im 16 =] :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:10 pm 
born to perform.

Your doing fine, stay at this rate, and in a year or so, you can move on, but perfect your act and performance now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:47 pm 
born to perform.

As far as tips go, have them pay you what they think you deserve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:50 am 
born to perform.

Thanks Guys for all the support

Just 2 things they are a little off te topic but are still to do with the restaurant business

1 - I was thinking of buying 21st Century Phantom By Oz Pearlman for my routine for a special few guests who ask me at time to do a encore later for them. is this a wise decision and is that effect suitable for restaurant work?

2 - Should u change your routine around because won't every now and then you will get people who come in weekly and will see you do the same old effects to them?

Thanks

Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:47 am 
Penguin

Bluebackedcards wrote:
As far as tips go, have them pay you what they think you deserve.

Yeah, just cup your hands and tell them the going rate :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:35 am 
Penguin

Quote:
1 - I was thinking of buying 21st Century Phantom By Oz Pearlman for my routine for a special few guests who ask me at time to do a encore later for them. is this a wise decision and is that effect suitable for restaurant work?

I do not own 21st Century Phantom, but I firmly stand behind all of Oz's products. I recieved Perfection in the mail yesterday, and once I was exposed of the method, the simplicity blew me away. It is just about as great of a walkaround trick as you can get, and I'm sure that 21st will be just as good. However, I strongly urge you to look into Perfection as well.

Quote:
2 - Should u change your routine around because won't every now and then you will get people who come in weekly and will see you do the same old effects to them?

I do a lot of walk around, and I visit a lot of tables, but I still have some "regulars" asking for some of the "golden oldies", such as simple transpos and I even have requests for the Biddle Trick every now and again. So to answer your question of whether to change your routine, I would say yes to a certain extent. The owner of this quote is forgotten to me but he once said, "I can do the same trick a hundred different ways, and therefor, I have a hundred different tricks." To reitterate his point, try changing your patter for a few tricks, rather than switching your entire arsenal. Yes, new effects are always fun to perform, but never forget about the golden oldies that have been time tested. Also don't forget that they are there to be entertained, they don't necessarily care what the overall effect is.