View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

How old should you be to do street magic for any people?
10-100 35%  35%  [ 15 ]
18-100 60%  60%  [ 26 ]
30-100 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 43
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:54 pm 
Penguin

i think any age, to preform for strangers 18+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:37 pm 
born to perform.

Well, hate to bring up a semi-old topic, but I think this could be of use. Today, I packed up a deck of cards, the raven, and a few other tricks as I headed to the mall with a friend. I very politely asked about 30 people throughout the entire day if they would like to see a quick magic/card trick...and wow. There was an old lady who stuck up her hand, said "PFFFT!" and walked faster, some lady just started straight up laughing at me, and other very rude responses. Apparently this is against the rules, but I am 13. I've been doing magic for about 3 years now. I've practiced my tricks in and out..and I KNOW for a fact if I was older I wouldn't have gotten that rude of responses. So take my advice, and don't attempt street magic until your older.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:44 pm 
Emperor Penguin

That's strange, I walked into a coffee shop one day (this was while I was 14... although I look a little bit younger) with my best friend, and asked the manager if he would have any complaints of me doing magic for any of the customers. He said no, and the first two ladies I approached were eager to watch, and were a very good audience. So yes, it can be done by young people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:33 pm 
born to perform.

adjones wrote:
That's strange, I walked into a coffee shop one day (this was while I was 14... although I look a little bit younger) with my best friend, and asked the manager if he would have any complaints of me doing magic for any of the customers. He said no, and the first two ladies I approached were eager to watch, and were a very good audience. So yes, it can be done by young people.
Very good to hear that it's possible, maybe I'll try again in the future. That's good that you got a good audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:30 am 
Penguin

xayarii wrote:
Well, hate to bring up a semi-old topic, but I think this could be of use. Today, I packed up a deck of cards, the raven, and a few other tricks as I headed to the mall with a friend. I very politely asked about 30 people throughout the entire day if they would like to see a quick magic/card trick...and wow. There was an old lady who stuck up her hand, said "PFFFT!" and walked faster, some lady just started straight up laughing at me, and other very rude responses. Apparently this is against the rules, but I am 13. I've been doing magic for about 3 years now. I've practiced my tricks in and out..and I KNOW for a fact if I was older I wouldn't have gotten that rude of responses. So take my advice, and don't attempt street magic until your older.

I hope you get permission from the mall first. You even seem to have admitted that it was against the rules, age is not a matter when it comes to these types of rules. They are set there for several reasons, one being a lawsuit.
Drew was smart enough to check with the manager first. Sounds like you did not. And what Drew did was not exactly street, the people were generally in a sitting state (or at least thats what I expect to see in a coffee shop), they are there taking their time generally to sit and relax. People in the mall are generally there to get stuff done and some are rather bussy.
And theres no way you "know for a fact" that you wouldnt have gotten those rude responses. You cant know, as your not there yet. Your just assuming. They might actually think that you were being rude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:37 am 
Emperor Penguin

No, what I did wasn't exactly "street magic", but it was "hit and run" like street magic is. I had a really good time, and I don't think the manager would have cared if I didn't ask, as he was a really cool guy, but it never hurts to be safe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:13 pm 
born to perform.

DavieG wrote:
xayarii wrote:

I hope you get permission from the mall first. You even seem to have admitted that it was against the rules, age is not a matter when it comes to these types of rules. They are set there for several reasons, one being a lawsuit.
Drew was smart enough to check with the manager first. Sounds like you did not. And what Drew did was not exactly street, the people were generally in a sitting state (or at least thats what I expect to see in a coffee shop), they are there taking their time generally to sit and relax. People in the mall are generally there to get stuff done and some are rather bussy.
And theres no way you "know for a fact" that you wouldnt have gotten those rude responses. You cant know, as your not there yet. Your just assuming. They might actually think that you were being rude.
Why such an "aggressive" response? People on Penguin seem to ALWAYS have to argue about something or other. And by the whole "against the rules" thing, I meant saying I am 13 is apparently against the rules on penguin, if you go back into this thread a bit more somebody stated that. As for asking for permission, yes. I went to the administration office and asked them, they said it would be fine by them AS LONG as I didn't ask for any money from the people I was entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:43 pm 
born to perform.

I'm 12 years old and have gotten some pretty good crowds on the streets. I don't go out there that often though. I mostly just perfrom for freinds and family.

Post subject: age
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:39 pm 
Penguin

i think you should be 18 or older, maybe 16 but nothing less than that because no one will take you seriously. They will take you as a joke unless you get hit by a plane or fly, so dont do street magic under the age of 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:44 pm 
born to perform.

I "blaine" regularly - though I refer to it as self-promotion or "open-air walk-around".

I started at 16, but I wasn't nearly good enough nor was I experienced enough. However, I was enthusiastic and charming, which got me enough viewers.

Wait till you're older. More people will take you seriously. Secondly, do something HIGHLY visual while you're just walking around. People will ask you to do a trick instead of you needing to ask them. I walk around doing charlier cuts and I can't go 20ft without being asked if I can do any tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:46 pm 
born to perform.

everyone seems to be in such a rush these days though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:23 pm 
born to perform.

I'm gonna start street over the summer and I'll be a senior in high school so I think I'm old enough