View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cut and Restored Rope
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:17 pm 
Penguin

I do a cut and restored rope trick. I start with the victim cutting off the ends of the rope.
Then the victim cuts the middle =first cut (here is where i need the help)
Then victim cuts again i use small cut piece and have them trim up the edges and i back up so the rope is restored and they are left with the small piece...big laugh.

The second part is easy to get 'rid' of the small piece. But with the first part any suggestions of how to get rid of the un-needed piece?

The rope gets cut 6 times throughout the routine and that is the only part I am hung up on...pun intended...lol :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:22 pm 
Penguin

Are you trying to hide it?
If it is not something that you call attention to or need to call attention to it, why worry about it? Leave it lay on the ground, put it in your pocket, toss it to an audience member as a keepsake.

The start of my cut and restored rope starts out with a spectator cutting the ends off of the rope and they just lay on the floor.
"A rope with two ends, one here... and one here. Take these scissors and cut one end off. Very good, I now have a rope with one end here... and one on the floor. Now cut this other end off. Great! I now have a peice of rope with no ends because they are laying on the floor."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:34 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
Are you trying to hide it?
If it is not something that you call attention to or need to call attention to it, why worry about it? Leave it lay on the ground, put it in your pocket, toss it to an audience member as a keepsake.

I am looking for a good reveal for the restoration. I used to just drop the hidden piece on the ground but people would notice it. I was walking behind my trunk and dropping it in there...but then why would i back up to behind my trunk if I wasn't trying to hide something?

Quote:
The start of my cut and restored rope starts out with a spectator cutting the ends off of the rope and they just lay on the floor.
"A rope with two ends, one here... and one here. Take these scissors and cut one end off. Very good, I now have a rope with one end here... and one on the floor. Now cut this other end off. Great! I now have a peice of rope with no ends because they are laying on the floor."

I do the same joke...but i say, "Here is a rope with two ends and a middle." Cut the ends off the rope and now you've got..."a rope with NO ends and a middle"
I love that joke. It always gets that "i can't beleive he said that" groan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:42 pm 
born to perform.

If you are allowing the spectator to trim off the ends of the rope, I do not see a problem with ditching any extra pieces. They will just join the rest of the cut off pieces already laying around on the floor.

Or...are you saying that the extra pieces you are ditching is noticed by the spectators? Meaning that they actually see that you are adding more pieces to the pile?

If that's the case, you will need to use misdirection. You will need to cover up the ditch (smaller motion) by performing a larger motion. My best advice is to bring the rope up into view, but higher than normal eye level. That way, spectators will focus on that larger motion while you are ditching the extra pieces (smaller motion). Part of misdirection basics is covering a smaller motion with a larger one. Generally, people are fixated on the larger motion of the two. They will never see the extra pieces being added to the pile. As, you bring the rope back down to their normal eye level, your dirty work is already done.

You may also want to try telling a joke at the moment of your larger motion (raising the rope above their normal eye level). This will add yet another distraction to the moment of your ditch.

Misdirection is a very slick tool, use it to your advantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:22 am 
Penguin

Yeah its the ditching of the extra pieces that has always been the problem. No matter what I have been doing a bunch of people their eyes will follow the piece to the ground. I have tried covering it will a joke...doing sort of what you said about raising it up.
I used to do a bunch of confusing moves and then ask the audience if they were following me...then when i get no answer I would say...let's start again...

I would drop the piece during the motions and then reveal the rope finished when I "start over." I liked that and it always got a good response but still people would notice the ditch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:37 am 
Penguin

Have you already put the scissors away? If not, place them into your pocket, that gives a reason for the hand to ditch what you need. If you did put them away, get them back out and ditch the piece at that time.
Perhaps place your hand on the persons shoulder and moving them a little and drop the piece that needs to be gone, it falls behind them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:59 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
Perhaps place your hand on the persons shoulder and moving them a little and drop the piece that needs to be gone, it falls behind them.

I really like that idea. See it's the simple stuff that you just forget and don't think of.

I would do the scissors thing but the spectator holds them the entire time until the end when I take it from them, "In case they hate the ending" lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:37 pm 
born to perform.

You can always just tie the small rope in the middle as though you were tieing two medium sized ropes together as a gag..." I could always just tie them together this way. " ... then just slide the knot up and down...then off... then just toss it away...

Or take the " knot" that is now off the rope, and do a false transferr to your left hand... and make it vanish... keeping it in the hand holding the long rope.

Take your bows and walk off.

If you want an awesome DVD on Cut and Restored Rope, with a clean start and finish, I cannot recommend Richard Sanders Fiber Optics Extended highly enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:05 pm 
Penguin

clarissa35f wrote:
You can always just tie the small rope in the middle as though you were tieing two medium sized ropes together as a gag..." I could always just tie them together this way. " ... then just slide the knot up and down...then off... then just toss it away...

Or take the " knot" that is now off the rope, and do a false transferr to your left hand... and make it vanish... keeping it in the hand holding the long rope.

If you want an awesome DVD on Cut and Restored Rope, with a clean start and finish, I cannot recommend Richard Sanders Fiber Optics Extended highly enough.

I slide the knot off, and palm it, and then stoop to pick up the trimmed ends that are on the floor......then I toss the knot into the trash along with the trimmed ends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:27 pm 
Penguin

clarissa35f wrote:

About Fiber Optics do you have to have any previous rope magic experience or does Richard go over the basics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:59 pm 
born to perform.

amyh4b wrote:
clarissa35f wrote:

About Fiber Optics do you have to have any previous rope magic experience or does Richard go over the basics.

He basically assumes you know No rope magic. Which is one reason I like this DVD. Anything that you need to know to do this effect he teaches you.

What I also like is that in spite of it being a cut and restored rope routine, You can use the same rope over and over. There is no loss of rope from " cutting with scissors". He includes in the routines a reason for you not using scissors, and yet, you still get a ton of mileage from The whole " Cut and restored " thing... You can take ends off, and switch it with the middle, take the middle off.. etc... it really is pretty amazing stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:12 am 
Penguin

This has officially been added to my wishlist. In a few months I should have it. Richard was an excellent teacher in extreme burn so I am assuming in Fiber optics he also is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:16 am 
born to perform.

amyh4b wrote:
This has officially been added to my wishlist. In a few months I should have it. Richard was an excellent teacher in extreme burn so I am assuming in Fiber optics he also is.

he is an awsome teacher, he goes over all the details. You not only know what to do when, but he explains the structure of the core routine, so you know why you are doing certain things at certain times..." Why am I going to the pocket now?" etc...

What I love is, the way he has all the routines structured... There are 7 routines... You can hand out the rope to be examined before you start... go into the routine then he gives you an oppurtunity to clean up in the middle, so you can again if you wish or are getting suspicious glances .. hand the rope out again... then back to the routine...and you then end the routine clean, so you can again hand the rope out to be examined.

I also love his general goofy attitude...

Post subject: A learning moment
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:10 am 
Penguin

This is how I learn..by listening to folks describing basics.
Thank you blindside for not only using a great football term(blindside) but for emphasizing the importance of misdirection.
Kudos also to clarissa for sharing more ways to learn.
Funny, more and more I'm drawn to rope magic even though I know I once had to practice for two days to learn how to properly tie up my boat to my dock.
Life's a carnival.ron0

Post subject: Re: A learning moment
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:34 am 
born to perform.

rono wrote:
This is how I learn..by listening to folks describing basics.
Thank you blindside for not only using a great football term(blindside) but for emphasizing the importance of misdirection.
Kudos also to clarissa for sharing more ways to learn.
Funny, more and more I'm drawn to rope magic even though I know I once had to practice for two days to learn how to properly tie up my boat to my dock.
Life's a carnival.ron0

About Rope magic. it IS funny. I started as I think almost every magician started... With a deck of Cards. I LOVE Card magic... but then I started incorporating Coins. for a long time that was it. But it wasn't until i saw a Trailer for Fiber Optics that i said.." hmmm let me give rope magic a try." I mean when i first saw it I was like..." WOW" I think i was put off by remembering a bad performance of the "professor's nightmare" when I was young + thinking it was all "knots, knots, and more knots." Now i see how much I have been missing. Ordered Tabary Rope magic Vol 1, and vol 2... Am thinking of sticking with Rope for a while.