View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:52 am 
Penguin

raiderdlove wrote:
Quote:
Incidently, you should probably be able to spell "restaurant" before you work in one.

Leave him alone on this one. For the life of me, I still cant spell that word right without the help of my Palm Pilot.

Seriously, sometims I am surprised at the lack of help on these forums. (Eyes drift towards paddy and dbaker) The guy is looking for some help, and all you give him is smart *** one-liners. Honestly, if this is how you treat customers, I would hate to end up at a restaurant that you work for.
[/quote]

Bump?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:17 am 
born to perform.

raiderdlove wrote:
fallingblood, I agree with you. People should do searches before they make repeated posts. But, what is the point in bashing them? All you are doing is taking an aspiring artist and discouraging him. If we treated all beginers this way, the art would completely die eventually. No one would want to be a part of it.

All I'm saying is that people could make posts that say "Do a search on 'getting a gig' " or something like that. Nice, clear, to the point, and you didn't hurt anyone's feelings. All the flaming, bashing, trolling, and excessive sarcasm are not nessesary.

Let em see if I understand this.

My post suggested 2 books that he should look into followed by a comment about being able to spell "restaurant" before he tries to get a job in one.
You concider this flaming, bashing, etc.

Your initial post contained no advice whatsoever nor did your second. Both where entirely complaints about me and your first post contained insults openly directed towards myself and Paddy.

So, who is doing the flaming, bashing, etc without contributing to the actual discussion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:22 am 
born to perform.

raiderdlove wrote:
The guy is looking for some help, and all you give him is smart *** one-liners. Honestly if this is how you treat customers, I would hate to end up at a restaurant that you work for.

I should mention that "smart *** one-liners" are a staple of restaurant magic. If you can't crack off a joke as fast as your patrons, you'll never make it in the restaurant field.

Secondly, that's exactly how I treat customers, as is the case with most restaurant workers. You work off of what the audience gives you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:26 pm 

Yes Dbaker is right about that. In fact the funniest line ever from a restaurant magi was put on this board a while back. I am not sure who wrote it but it was concerning a woman starting to breast feed a baby just as he walked up and he said: "no thanks, I'm not hungry now."

Smart a$$, OH HE** YES! I don't have the stones to say things like that but it got him a large tip from the husband and a dirty look from the woman.

We are ENTERTAINERS that means we are professional smart a$$es. If you can't stand the heat get the he** out of the kitchen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:42 pm 
born to perform.

In another thread:
paddy wrote:
dbaker_creator wrote:
...This has actually happened to me as well (the breast feeding not the snaking of the job prior to the breast feeding)...I tried to make a joke of it once. The woman started feeding her baby and I said, "Oh none for me thanks." She found it in poor taste - her husband thought it was hilarious though.

That one got me!!! The funniest comment I have seen this year!!! I only wish I had thoufgt of it.

Paddy

I do love that line. :D
It also got her to "put 'em away" for the duration of the act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:55 am 

I thought that was you dbaker. But wasn't sure and didn't want to mis credit someone. I still laugh my A off thinking about it.

Post subject: Re: idk
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 pm 
Penguin

smurray0817 wrote:
i dont know what kind of restrant to go to for a job, and how i ask if they need a magical preformer
first come prepared with all of your tricks prepared (STS, Phonomenon, Ghostvision, etc) and then ask if they want entertainment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:24 pm 
born to perform.

andrewlevino wrote:
Also if anybody knows who originally wrote this essay, please tell me as I would like to give credit where it is very due.
Michael Sheridan wrote this essay, it's been posted on Penguin before, but removed due to the fact the poster didn't ask for permission, and I'm assuming you didn't either seeing as you don't know his name. You should probably remove it, I'm sure he'd appreciate that.