View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I believe
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:22 pm 
born to perform.

This forum has not seen a essay in a while so I thought I would put this on-line. Now I wrote this in high school because I had a grudge against my leadership teacher because she disagreed with my belief that we all ways give 100% (I felt it was a little wrong that my leadership teacher was trying to supress me even though I was prez of my class but oh well). It has meaning in all aspects of life including magic so here it goes.

I Believe…
By Juliegel

It seems today that all too often we are told we can’t do something or we could have done better, we did not give our 100%. Long gone are the days when we were told we could do anything and we believed it. The idea that someone was always better than us had not been instilled in our minds. We were happy. Then school came around and our lives became different, we were now graded on our performance, the whim to succeed now became the need to succeed and we would never be the same again. The stress of a seemingly infinite number of essays on what we thought and what we believe, at a time where the only ideas we knew, we really knew nothing about. 100% was an unachievable goal, something we were taught to strive for but never achieved.
Who is to tell me that I could do better? I believe that it is human nature to give 100% and that when you are satisfied you are done or else you would not be done. Even if you are unhappy with what you have done, lets say you were pressed for time and were unable to make A+ material, you still gave 100% of the time that you had.
What is 100%. If I wrote a short story for English class and get an A+ on it but it did not get published, is that giving 100%. Sure if you had pitched your story to Dover books and got a deal that seems like you did better, but your teacher thought you did very well and got full credit. This seems to contradict itself. 100% is defined as the full completion of an objective to the highest extent of it’s potential, but then again in school getting an A+ is completing something to its fullest. This brings us to….
Who gets to tell you that you did not give 100%. Who ever you chose to listen to is the major factor in the results of how you do in life. The teachers will say the definition of 100% but at the same time hand you back a test you aced but did not even try on. In truth nobody knows what full success is but I believe that when you feel the job is done you gave your 100%.

Did you get the covert attacking of my teacher in there. Between the two of us the topic was never spoken of again.

Juliegel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:00 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I have to disagree with the idea of this essay. No, we don't always give a 100%. When I was in school, I use to do my homework to the point that I considered it done. However, I was not giving it my 100%. I was giving it more like 10%. 10% of my energy, 10% of my time, 10% of my interests, etc.

Many people will do a job with very little effort. Just enough to get it completed. That's not giving it their 100%. If you believe otherwise, then you seriously have a low opinion of the human race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:07 pm 
born to perform.

No I think highly of the human race because I feel that as humans we would not put ourselfs as low as that. so perhaps you dont think highly of the human race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:22 am 
Penguin

Maybe you just havent experienced real life yet. Your still in what.. middle or high school?

I wouldnt consider your essay to be 100%.

People naturally arent going to give 100%, its not thinking low of human race per say, its just logic and common sense. If all of us really put in 100% all the time, the world would be a much better place.

Think of all the half [edited] jobs out there? You call that 100%? When every one knows more could have been done...
edited just look at the videos on youtube or the "magicians" on here. They sure as edited arent giving 100%. MAny are no where near.

And she was "supressing" you. Its called her opinion, and plenty of others opinions and logic. Plain as day.

Why bother going on.... no need for the 100% here. IT is self explanitory.

"I hope there is intelligent life out in space, as we have yet to find any here on earth"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:31 am 
Team Penguin

well...you can only really give 100 % if you are deeply interested in what you are doing...and I doubt that you are extremely interested in writing an essay unless it is a free choice topic and you pick something you love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:32 am 
Emperor Penguin

I don't think low of the human race, I just have common sense. Not everyone gives their one hundred percent. If they did, this world would be much different. If you believe that everyone gives their one hundred percent, all of the time, then your deluding yourself. You will be in for quite of a surprise once you enter into the real world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:04 am 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
im lazy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:28 am 

I disagree too, but that's not the point of the essay. This isn't a debate. It's written to make you think. And I think she succeeded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:13 am 
born to perform.

Im a guy